General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Bude Man Killed In ATV Wreck

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bude Man Killed In ATV Wreck

Bude Man Killed In ATV Wreck
From McComb (Mississippi) Enterprise-Journal newspaper staff reports
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 11:40 PM CDT

A Bude man died early Saturday in an all-terrain vehicle accident at a campground on the Homochitto River, according to a spokesman for the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department.

Jerry Wayne Holland, 41, died when his late-model Yamaha Grizzly 660 four-wheeler struck a tree around 2 a.m. at the Homochitto Campout in the Eddiceton community, according to deputy David Blackwell.

“He lost control and hit a tree that caused some trauma that killed him,” Blackwell said. “The cause is still under investigation.”

Franklin County Coroner Percy Peeler pronounced Holland dead at the scene. Peeler said Holland sustained internal injuries in the crash. An autopsy was conducted on Saturday, Peeler said. Holland was not wearing a helmet, and alcohol was not considered to be a factor in the accident.

Homochitto Campout consists of a number of camps along both sides of the river, and the area is well-lighted.

“We’ve got quite a few witnesses that were watching,” Blackwell said.
Holland and his wife Vicki reportedly had been visiting a friend’s camp just prior to the incident.

“He was going to get on the road, but when he started it up he was at the camp and it went through a section of the woods, and that’s where he ran into the tree,” Blackwell said.

Holland worked overseas jobs for Pride Drilling Co. He was home on extended furlough waiting to go back overseas on another assignment.
Obituary information is on Page A3.

McComb Enterprise-Journal

Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=Starscout;2780940] Jerry Wayne Holland, 41, died when his late-model Yamaha Grizzly 660 four-wheeler struck a tree around 2 a.m. at the Homochitto Campout in the Eddiceton community, according to deputy David Blackwell.

“He lost control and hit a tree that caused some trauma that killed him,” Blackwell said. “The cause is still under investigation.”

Holland was not wearing a helmet, and alcohol was not considered to be a factor in the accident. [QUOTE]

At least he wasn't drinking. It's not clear whether he died from a head or body injury but wearing a helmet might have saved yet another life.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

I am sorry for his family and hope that everyone will take heed of this unfortunate accident and wear their helmets.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bude man killed in ATV accident

I agree a helmet should be worn; unfortunately it would not have saved my brother's life. I am the sister of the Bude man that was killed and would like to clear up what happened, now that all the reports are in and I have been to the scene of the accident and talked to family and friends that were there when it happened. He got on the ATV to pull forward and pick his wife up as they were ready to leave the camp site and as you've heard he was not drinking, the throttle stuck and the 4-wheeler took off out of control, but knowing my brother and from seeing the drags through the dirt, he was trying to stop it. With-in a matter of feet, seconds from the takeoff he ran across a pallet, which was in front of the tree, and caused him to hit the side of the tree. This is where the trauma was caused, but it was not head trauma, the brake punctured his side and caused internal damage including the main artery. He died within seconds of this and fell back on the ATV, but the machine continued on, the ATV hit and removed a steel rack from the back of a bus, then it crossed the road and continued under the hitch of a 5th wheel trailer which is what pulled his body from the ATV, yet it continued on across small trees until it was caught between two larger trees.

I have had 4 other reports of this happing to people I know or to someone they know 2 out of the 4 lost their lives (this doesn't include my brother). I won’t say don’t ride, because my brother wouldn’t want that, but be sure you research and keep tabs on possible recalls.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sister, thank you for taking the time to clear this up for us. A stuck throttle can happen on any machine but if this is something that has happened to other owners of the Grizzly it is something that should be looked into. That would be one of the scariest things to me. I am sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like he was a nice guy and the type we would all like to meet up with on the trails to stop and chat. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Bruce Henden

Old 04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sister,

I'm glad you chimed in to set the record straight and heed warning. I am truly sorry for your loss. I had the throttle stick on my on my new yamaha raptor in 2002. The throttle was wide open as I rounded a curve while racing my son through the woods. Fortunately, I bailed off just before the atv struck a tree, bounced off, and kept going down the hill bouncing off more trees until flipping over. I was wearing a helmet at the time, but I am certain it would not have saved me as I would have hit the tree with such force it likely would have broken my neck or caused other life threatening injuries such as your brother. Combine that with the remote location I was in that would have delayed advanced medical response and....you get the picture.

No one believed me that the throttle stuck. The local yamaha shop included. But, when they tore it apart during their investigation they found that the air filter had not been properly installed causing a plastic dart to become sucked in and lodged in the carburetor's butterfly valve. I don't know if it was the manufacturer's fault or the dealer who sold the atv to me, but it was a good lesson learned to inspect my atv before and after each ride to assure everything appears to be working properly. This may or may not have prevented your brother's accident. Some things just don't break until it's too late.

If there is anything positive about this story it is the fact that the throttle stuck before he picked up his wife. Otherwise, there may have been two fatalities. I am very glad to hear alcohol was not involved as they would likely have blamed that for the accident even though it would have had nothing to do with it.

I wish your family the best!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

I was just curious, if your throttle was sticking, then how come you just didn't push the kill switch? Or do you not have a kill switch on your atv?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it sounds easy, especially when it hasn't happened to you. But it's not like you planned it to happen or anticipate it. It happens so quickly and before you realize it you're out of control and probably already in trouble. A tether to the kill switch is much safer, but I don't know anyone who uses them unless they race as they are required then. Try going for that little switch while full speed and bouncing around trying to keep your atv on track.....not an easy task! It's like telling people to stop, drop and roll when they are on fire. Sounds easy.....but try it when you are on fire! That's why you practice over and over so it becomes second nature, or habit. When you react there is no time to think.....that's why repetitive training is so important. How many people practice hitting their kill switch while riding top speed down a trail? I know I don't....probably should, though! Good question, though....

Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Sorry to hear that we lost another atv brother, Freak things happen. My prayers go out to his family and friends

Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
no1
Trailblazer

Sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

Quick Reply: Bude Man Killed In ATV Wreck