General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Suprised by my little red machine.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went out again the other day. Snagged a nifty little hand winch from Harbor Freight that I hope will do the trick should I get stuck. Its mounted on a plate with a hook bent into it, so I can just slide it over a rack or bumper.......and instead of having a handle it has a ratcheting mechanism. Its only rated at 900 lbs but my ATV only ways 400 or so....so I think I have a decent margin of safety there. Played around with it but never had to use it, seems like it works slick enough. Downside.....its a strap....so pulling from the side is out of the question - still think I could make it work in almost any situation.

It was less muddy and this time I took my son with me, he just turned 8 and hes riding a warmed over LT80, a few mods but no serious engine work. We had a good time.

We didnt get into any serious terrain.....but he was pretty timid and really wasnt into it as much as I had hoped. I think I may be asking a bit of a 8 year old. Im hoping to get him to a legit ATV training class and maybe that will boost his confidence. I was very supportive and any time we came to an obstacle or terrain change I would go thru it, walk back and coach/walk next to him thru it. He was pretty scared thru most of the terrain and teared up often. We turned back pretty quick.

Out on the flat ground or in the graveled area with the jumps and he was full throttle.......running that little quad over the jumps pretty hard and having a good time. Seems he may be more of a flat lander.

Aaron