General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Can-AM 800 vs. Polaris 850?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Thanks I do so appreciate it When it comes to full size vans Ford and Chevy can have them. What a pain in the a _ _ to work on!
You got that right!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny to me because my work van, a '06 E-350 superduty owned by the company I work for has had the tranny replaced, and the power steering pump whines like a supercharger! I used Ford vs Chevy based on sales numbers, and history. Dodge doesn't sell near as many trucks as the other two. Heck, Toyota sold more trucks in 2008 than Dodge.

I've owned many ford pick ups, old and new- and every one has had tranny problems and a noisy steering pump.
Now I drive a 2005 chevy avalanche- I love it, but it still has its share of issues, but I deal with it because it's an avalanche

Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
I don't know if that's too valid anymore... it's from '06, and the Outlander has undergone vast improvements in many areas. I've driven an older outty 800 and it doesn't compare to the 09-10 models. The XP is totally different from the SP 800, and better in every way.
Sounds like the new ones would be bretty close against each other. I did not know the Outlander changed all that much.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

They had to change the Outy quite a bit to add Power steering along with a bunch of engine upgrades on both the 800 and the 650.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:30 PM
DCT
Banned

They had to change the Outy quite a bit to add Power steering along with a bunch of engine upgrades on both the 800 and the 650.
One of the guys that rides with us was going to buy an 850, and I, and a couple others in our group that had XP's talked him out of it. He's buying a 650 XT with DPS, so I'll be taking that one for a spin soon. I know the 650 XT that I test drove was quite impressive... seemed to have near the same power as the 850, but a lot more fun to ride. The 800 XT must be downright "scary".

Old 03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

When I bought my Yamaha I test road the 650 and that was before the engine upgrades and can honestly say that for the way I ride and for the trails we have here in Co that the 650 was more than enough machine to get you killed on, I agree with the way the 650 performs, it alone there really is no reason to have 800 well that is unless you have a death wish! The only Outy I would by with the 800 motor would be the Renegade as it has the suspension to go with that kind of power. Guess that is why I bought the Raptor as it has the suspension and the brakes to go with massive power in a lightweight chassis!

One thing I have figured out over time with owning cars,trucks and quads that you dont always have to have the biggest to be the best. Sometimes doing more with less really is the way to go!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by CaptainQuint
Take a new XP at $10,000, a Razr S at $14,000 or a Ranger HD at nearly $13,000. You can buy a good used car for that kind of money. Would you walk into a car dealership and purchase a car after only being allowed to drive it around the showroom or parking lot? Of course not. You need to be able to take that car onto the roads and drive it in the conditions that is is designed to operate in. With an ATV we're being asked to buy the thing without the slightest idea of how the thing actually handles, rides or performs in the environment it is designed to be used in. That is insane and needs to change.
So are you the one that's going to buy the machine that Johnny-hot-rod took out for a test drive on Saturday? Are you going to pay full boat for a machine that's been "tested"? I'm thinking not. So that means the dealer needs to pay for and keep on hand a copy of each unit for real world test rides? What will that cost each of us? What about all the dealers in urban areas.....It simply isn't realistic, but I understand what you're saying.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:47 PM
DCT
Banned

When I bought my Yamaha I test road the 650 and that was before the engine upgrades and can honestly say that for the way I ride and for the trails we have here in Co that the 650 was more than enough machine to get you killed on, I agree with the way the 650 performs, it alone there really is no reason to have 800 well that is unless you have a death wish! The only Outy I would by with the 800 motor would be the Renegade as it has the suspension to go with that kind of power. Guess that is why I bought the Raptor as it has the suspension and the brakes to go with massive power in a lightweight chassis!

One thing I have figured out over time with owning cars,trucks and quads that you dont always have to have the biggest to be the best. Sometimes doing more with less really is the way to go!
Yea, the machines are getting just to big, and to expensive. Where we ride, we seldom get a chance to WOT, and when we do, it's for a very short period. An 850, or 800 is just a waste of gas in our neck of the woods. Low end "grunt" is where it's at.

However, if I was out there in the Rockies trying to climb some of them-there-hills that you have I might be wanting a little more "umph" under my right thumb.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
Both are excellent, It's a matter of preference. I Like Chevy's and Remingtons, BTW)
Polaris, Chevy, Browning.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FunRide
So are you the one that's going to buy the machine that Johnny-hot-rod took out for a test drive on Saturday? Are you going to pay full boat for a machine that's been "tested"? I'm thinking not. So that means the dealer needs to pay for and keep on hand a copy of each unit for real world test rides? What will that cost each of us? What about all the dealers in urban areas.....It simply isn't realistic, but I understand what you're saying.

My dealer actually does this,they have "demo" units for most models. From time to time they take them out to the local ATV park and let potential customers test ride them. I'm sure if a serious customer asked they would arrange to take the machines to the park for a special test ride.
After a demo period they either build them for racing or sell them basically as used.
They also do large group rides at some of the most popular riding areas in the country and invite customers to come,they even offer transportation in their tour bus(which btw is down right crazy...has a 2 floor area in the rear to haul several ATVs) to some customers.
Granted that probably isn't what most dealers do...differences in a dealer and a great dealer imo.

Quick Reply: Can-AM 800 vs. Polaris 850?