ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   What to take with you on the trail? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/326957-what-take-you-trail.html)

trinityquad 05-09-2010 09:00 PM

What to take with you on the trail?

Hey all, just came back from a three hour cruise on old Forest Service roads and some logging roads. It occurred to me that I should probably have taken a first aid kit along incase bad ju ju happened. To mention it, maybe I should have taken some minimal tools when out in the woods. What do you all take with you on your quad when you venture out into the wilderness? Any advise would be appreciated!

HawkeyeRider 05-09-2010 10:00 PM

There are a few threads on this subject. Here is one to get you started. :thumbsup:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...tools-etc.html

MooseHenden 05-10-2010 08:04 AM

Snatch straps, flashlight, lighter and matches, snatch block pulley, hex and torx sets (folding jacknife type), small set of sockets (Walmart $10) made by Stanley, spare belt, folding pruning saw (trees come down constantly in New England), first aid kit, riding gloves, helmet, days medications (diabetic), food and liquid, tire repair and mini-Slime compressor, maps and compass, and GPS. Also carry spare fuel for my son if on long rides.

trinityquad 05-10-2010 01:36 PM

Thanks a lot. I have most of those items around but now just need to put them together. Don't have an emergency tire kit yet. What is a slime compressor?

MooseHenden 05-10-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by trinityquad (Post 2924251)
Thanks a lot. I have most of those items around but now just need to put them together. Don't have an emergency tire kit yet. What is a slime compressor?

I could have made it clearer than I did. Here's a link showing what I'm talking about. It fits nice with other gear. Cabela's -- Slime 12-Volt ATV Tire Compressor

Sand Hog 05-10-2010 02:38 PM

We ride the desert so I carry a pack strapped on the grab bar of my quad that holds my tow strap along with few basic tools, a small first aid kit to plug any gushing holes and the BLM map of the area we normally ride in, each rider is responsible to carry their own camel back (I fill mine with ice cubes mixed with water and in the summer a splash of lemon juice in the water), whatever snacks they want to eat like crackers jerky and such, each rider carries a cell phone, I carry my GPS along with spare batteries and a hunting knife. Long rides I'll carry a survival kit that contains a fire starter, 550 cord, matches, a wind scarf and a spare folding blade knife and whatever else I can shove into the pack. Been trying to figure how to attach a small pack to the back of my Body armor over the camel back I'm almost there just figuring the buckles out to hook it all together

seems like a lot at times but I would rather have too much than not enough.

We ride quads so there is little storage room unless your carrying it on your back or the grab bar so I lean to survival so If we are lean on anything I figure its on the tool side..We figure if its broke that bad where tools are required it most likely cannot be fixed in the field and we will be using the tow strap to get it back to the truck.

trinityquad 05-10-2010 03:45 PM

The Sand Hog said,
"We ride quads so there is little storage room unless your carrying it on your back or the grab bar so I lean to survival so If we are lean on anything I figure its on the tool side..We figure if its broke that bad where tools are required it most likely cannot be fixed in the field and we will be using the tow strap to get it back to the truck."

Sand Hog. I will probably try to carry some basic tools but am not all that handy on something as sophisticated as my Honda . But you can be sure a tow strap will surely be included in my day pack as well as some survival tools.

Thanks Moose, I will pick up one of those "slime compressors".

uncle matt 05-10-2010 10:49 PM

I like to have the tire slime, a pump and a plug kit.
Tow rope & sling.
Basic tools.
As a first aid & survival instructor I always have a medical kit.
Plus I must always have my cigar clamp and cigar stuff!
A full size old, yet clean, bath towel for whatever.

Other than that I don't go without water and my full roll of toilet paper in a HD ziplock bag. ;)

HighVelocity 05-11-2010 02:07 AM

I carry all the items previously mentioned and also carry an emergency survival pack (both for quadding and sledding). I've taken all the items I deem necessary for a one to two day survival situation and vacuum-packed them into one package which will not be cut open unless it's an emergency.

3_Polaris_ATVs 05-11-2010 09:57 AM

How long does it take to fill tire with the Slime pump? I was leaning toward a CO2 tire filler. Last trip out popped a tire off the bead. Think either of these would seat it back.