General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

utility quad for fast trail riding

Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Trx 250

Originally Posted by RickCJ7
What utility quad would you pick for fast trail riding?
What has the best suspension and handling?
I'd imagine the Renegade XCC and new OL XCC would be hard to beat.
Hows the new Artic Cat S or Polaris XP do?
Any quad stand out over the others.
for me it would be the TRX 250 by Hona. it is a small atv, but when they rock it like no other. i proffer the 2wd, but they don't do as well as some other 2wd atv in mud. put if it is hill climbing get out of the way cause baby i'm gone. the newer once are more like the normal utilitys, but the older ones are a peace of art. they have one of the most rocken motors ever. not only is there power when you need it, but they never brake down. i have a 1986, and the only new part is the carborator. the once built like mine have a racing frame, and very little plastic work to get tor up on the trail. the way the way the plastic that it has sits on there so to make it look like its half racer, half utility. then the gear box is pure gengius. first is not very steep, or is second,but third is a mean little honey. then fourth is another world of WTF speed. then there is the final gear. me and my old girl have had some good times in that gear. to hear her working so hard, and feel the power of the little thing work like no other was a experiance that i would trade my life for.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

what do u guys think about the 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650?, and maybe you can help me with a problem. i was riding my 650 the other day went to park it for the nite, came out the next morning and it wouldnt start. the motor turns over but not enough to start it, the pull start wnt even work. my uncle seems to think its the timing chain. what type of problems could this cause? and would this be a hard fix for a mechanic. he charges 45 an hour so we r wanting a little info on how much this will cost. thanks

Old 09-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jersey42
what do u guys think about the 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650?, and maybe you can help me with a problem. i was riding my 650 the other day went to park it for the nite, came out the next morning and it wouldnt start. the motor turns over but not enough to start it, the pull start wnt even work. my uncle seems to think its the timing chain. what type of problems could this cause? and would this be a hard fix for a mechanic. he charges 45 an hour so we r wanting a little info on how much this will cost. thanks
If you haven't already asked this in the Kawasaki area give it a shot. More likely to get an answer over there.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

so noone has any clues on wat it culd be?

Old 11-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've got a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 FIS (Full Independent Suspension). It weighs 650 lbs. I've got a speedwerx exhaust on it, k&n air filter, and re-jetted the carb. Top speed is about 65 mph with modifications.

It's a manual (no cvt) with traditional gears, with toe/heel snifter. It's got low and high and reverse as well. I also put an Outlaw Racing clutch kit in it with stiffer springs so it engages a lot better now at the cost of being a little harder to shift and I can no longer lay on the heel shifter to be in neutral, it's just in gear all the time now unless I drop all the way to neutral.

Running SunF A033 tires with 6 lbs PSI in the rear and 10 lbs PSI in the front. Suspension Preloads all the way out.

We have some pretty rocky trails nearby, and recently went to a meetup with 10 Side by Sides, 2 outlanders, 1 renegade, and 1 Rubicon. I'm able to maintain about 25 mph the entire trail on average, some sections I can hit 40mph briefly, these trails are very rocky, and there are some down hill sections you basically have to coast down with little throttle at all riding the rear/front brakes staying on your line.

In the easier areas, the 1000 Outlander and the 650 outlander pull from me, but they both have CVT's and I think that gives them an advantage. I am not yet very good at being in the right gear to keep up with them. But I think I'm more than capable of doing so once I get better at riding. I'm not being left behind by much.

My biggest issue so far is in my physical abilities. My knee's give out, or my arms start to buckle if I ride to hard for to long, still building muscle. I've got compression shirts, braces, etc on the way to try to help me physically endure... These guys are my age, I'm just out of shape.

As I am now though, I consistently smoke all the older recon's (solid axle), and get dusted by all the outlanders.

I think the outlanders dusting me is their weight. Some of them way over 900 lbs, so they are easier to keep on the ground and keep traction and less likely to roll. My Cat has really high ground clearance and is much lighter, so I feel like I'm going to flip it if I try to keep up with the outlanders.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Ryan, this thread interested me because I'd like to get a utility quad that will handle trails well.

I'm used to bikes and Blasters, including this one powered by KTM.
I like the light weight of the Blaster and prefer it over my previous 660 Raptor.

So, what would be the lightest utility quad with respectable handling?