General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Need Help: Snow Plow or Snow Blower?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Snow Plow or Snow Blower?

We moved from MO to MT last year. We live out in the country on a plateau at over 4000 feet and I just about killed myself last year shoveling the driveway!

We have two quads: a '99 400 Polaris Scrambler 4x4 and an '07 Polaris 500 4x4. Both of these are SPORT quads, so now low range and no way to lock in 4x4 (they have magnetic hubs that detect slip).

Would I be better off buying a snowblower or trying to rig up a manual plow on one of the Polaris'? Our driveway is 2 cars+ wide, about 40 yds long. We got a Subaru (4x4) and a Ram 1500 4x4 stuck last year!

Any ideas appreciated.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friend bought the Snow blower from polaris for his 500 Sportman and hated it, Its was to heavy the atvs rear wheels left the ground before you could raise the blower. He bought a lawn tractor whith chains on the tires and a blower and said it was the same price and worked Better,also it cuts grass in the summer.

The ATV blower does not share the ATVs motor like a lawn tractor does. Makes the ATV blower much more heavy and exspensive.

Look at it, its ridiculous

Compared to this

Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he means a walkbehind. The plow would be more fun and since its bigger it might go faster. But it will stress your quad

Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blower is the way to go if possible because it throws snow farther than plowing into snow banks. however, when you have a large area and banks arent an issue, a plow wins out for its speed. I assume you'll get dumped on a few times in montana. considering your wheelers and the size of your driveway, i would go with a large walk-behind blower. it will take a while, but you will be able to handle a few feet of snow without destroying your wheelers.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Dood go get a plow on that 500 polaris and plow that driveway like its your job... I live in maine and we get some retarded snow sometimes I plowed my driveway out with a 2002 big bear 400 we had like 1.5 feet of fresh snow and it was allset plowed like a champ... did I mention I forgot to put it in four wheel drive?.. My other friend plows his with a honda 300 4x4 I know yes its a 4x4 but that machine doesnt weigh sh*t and he's been doing his driveway with it for 10 years... Pffftt I know this guy who does his with a 2x4 rancher he just bought chains for the tires..

I have a snowblower and it sux..just saying... ohhh that pic of the POPO with the snowblower on it made me laugh that is just insane LOL

Old 07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Plow

I would recommend getting a plow over a snow blower. We got about 30 inches of snow last february and the plow did my driveway which seems comparable to yours or a bit bigger without any issues. I have it mounted on a big bear 400 with a winch to do the lifting. 99% of the time I plowed in 2 wheel drive just so I could turn easier. I plow it back about ten feet off of the driveway just to make room for the next round of snow. The plow will take it down to the cement/grass/gravel without a problem. The only time I needed 4X4 was if I tried to push a pile that I had already stacked up and then it had sat and frozen in that pile.

The plow gives you a good excuse to get the quad out and play in the snow too!

Bought my plow from rocky mountain atv for about 350 bucks! If you are doing any sidewalks keep that in mind while picking out a size...the 50 inch turned at an angle do well for a sidewalk.
mudslinger2

Old 07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear--I did indeed mean a walk-behind snow blower.

I'm also a bit concerned with burning up the belts, etc. as we get a LOT of snow at times where I live. Lots of drifts due to the high winds, etc.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I think he means a walkbehind.
Oooops never mind then. LOL

Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Up here we just use a plow on the atv ... works great ... im pushing a 5' with my sportsman 800

only issue is get good tires and you will be fine

Old 07-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

interesting thread! i have a wb-blower (8hp) that works well here in ND. have had a plow on my Honda Rancher 4x4 for last two years and we use that to move ice chunks and street-piles but it is harder to maneuver than the blower, and not that effective on lighter/less volume. in short, YOU NEED BOTH! i wouldn't want to give up either any more...

Quick Reply: Need Help: Snow Plow or Snow Blower?