General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Where is your ATV made?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great point about the vin should have know that or thought of it myself.
Here is a good break down of ATV and Automotive vins.
1st digit : represents the country in which it was made. 1 or 4 is for the U.S., 2 is for Canada, J is for Japan, K is for Korea etc.
- 2nd digit : represents the manufacturer. H is for Honda, K is for Kawasaki etc.
- 3rd digit : this position represents the vehicle type or manufacturing division which can vary by make of vehicle.
- 4th to 8th digits : these positions represent vehicle attributes such as body style and engine type (not to be confused with an engine code, every vehicle has one of those mounted on the engine).
Honda ATV owners visit the Honda ATV Model Codes list for model information.
- 9th digit : this is called a "check digit" and it exists for security reasons. This letter or number is derived mathematically depending on the previous 8 digits. It's used to confirm that a VIN isn't being fabricated.
- 10th digit : The vehicle year.
- 11th digit : Assembly plant
- 12th to 17th digits : These numbers increase by one for each unit that rolls off the assembly line, the last four are always digits

Automotive:
Make/Model: (Digits 1-3) This breaks out the vehicle's make, model, and manufacturer.
Vehicle Features: (Digits 4-8) These digits identify the various features of the specific model — trim specifications, driveline options, etc.
Verifying #: (Digit 9) Determined through a complex mathematical formula that relates to the other numbers in the VIN; used to verify that the VIN itself is not fake.
Model Year: (Digit 10) Represents the vehicle's model year, which is not to be confused with the year it was sold or delivered.
Assembly Plant: (Digit 11) An internal digit that shows where the car was built.
Sequence Of Model Production: (Digit 12-17) These digits indicate the order in which the vehicle left the assembly line. This is effectively the serial number.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

Moose, your Nissan was "assembled" in the USA with parts imported from Japan.
Some Ford trucks are "assembled' in Canada.
The difference being, that all profit from the sale of Nissan trucks goes to Japan and the profit from Fords goes to Ford in the USA.
Same goes for Japanese quads assembled in the USA.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Red400EXRod
Moose, your Nissan was "assembled" in the USA with parts imported from Japan.
Some Ford trucks are "assembled' in Canada.
The difference being, that all profit from the sale of Nissan trucks goes to Japan and the profit from Fords goes to Ford in the USA.
Same goes for Japanese quads assembled in the USA.
Yeah, but the guys putting it together get a good job and wage down there in Tennessee. I don't mind if the guys who engineer and take the risk of making cars get some of my dollars. As long as it is a good reliable product. And, if I hadn't been treated so badly by Ford years ago I probably would have bought another one. I appreciate that they didn't need to get bailed out by our tax dollars.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Range Rover

You guys know that the last totally American-made ATV (Polaris) moved to Mexico, right?

IndustryWeek : Polaris Industries Shifts Work to Mexico in Realignment Effort

Old 03-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdame
You guys know that the last totally American-made ATV (Polaris) moved to Mexico, right?

They're shifting some production to Mexico this year.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

From what I understand, Polaris machines for the Southern part of the US will be made in Mexico while machines made for the Northern part of the country will stil be made in the Minnesotta area. Glad I'm in the Northern half.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
From what I understand, Polaris machines for the Southern part of the US will be made in Mexico while machines made for the Northern part of the country will stil be made in the Minnesotta area. Glad I'm in the Northern half.
Nope, wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting me know because I was crushed when I heard they were moving to Mexico. I'm in upstate NY so I'm good

Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtdame

WRONG. Polaris ATV's and snowmobiles are still made in Roseau, Mn. It's my understanding that only the Victory motorcycles will be moved, not the ATV's or side by sides. I could find out though...

BTW - Arctic Cats are made in Thief River Falls, Mn.

Both Polaris and AC were started with the help of one guy who recently died just a couple weeks ago.... He had started in Roseau and had a falling out with his partners so he left and started AC. I bought my first car from him.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wiring

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
My ATV and pickup are both made in the good ol' USA.
i need help with my wiring on my 200 & 250 quad

Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't a very good place to ask for help with your quads, but since you did, what year, make, and model 200 and 250?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is your ATV made?