ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Kids ATV Ban (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/336366-kids-atv-ban.html)

keithert 04-11-2011 08:29 AM

Kids ATV Ban

I know in 2009 a law was passed that banned sales of kids ATV's because of lead content in them. I've been looking at kids ATV's recently and do see some tiny machines with stickers stating that they are for 16 years and older. There is no way a 16 year old would fit on one of these machines. Did the manufactures put these warning on to get around the ban?

Jaster94 04-11-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by keithert (Post 3019765)
I know in 2009 a law was passed that banned sales of kids ATV's because of lead content in them. I've been looking at kids ATV's recently and do see some tiny machines with stickers stating that they are for 16 years and older. There is no way a 16 year old would fit on one of these machines. Did the manufactures put these warning on to get around the ban?

it's my understanding that a committee got together years ago, govt/big brother, and decided on just size "cc" for ages. being politicians, they didn't have any common sense. PLUS, i believe manufacturers are putting the age limits on there because of village idiots and sue happy morons due to liability issues. some "parents" think they can put their 10 yr old 90 lb kid on a 700cc screamer and it's ok because that's what the kid wanted. sure a 6' 150 lb kid ain't gonna fit a 90cc. that's dangerous as all get out! fit him to a 250cc. it just takes common sense to fit a kid to a quad. or vice versa.

keithert 04-11-2011 01:50 PM

I was mainly wondering how these are being sold if the ban is still in place? Or do the age limits allow them to skirt the ban because they are not technically for 'kids'.

beergut 04-11-2011 02:26 PM

I actually know a teenager that rides one of these 110 chinese atv's :rolleyes: he actually thinks it the coolest thing ever :huh: He's gotta be at least 5' 7" tall and 165 lbs.

it's pathetic- it's like the when it was cool for a teenager to ride a kids mini BMX (like it was ever cool :confused: ) or those stupid little 100cc rice rocket motorcycles-

There may be a ban- but I'll never follow it- I'll buy what I want, how I want and for whom ever I want- when I want!

irinman2424 04-11-2011 02:29 PM

the issue is that its not just the government its the manufacturers as well. the government put the ban on them (not looking into it just guessing just as the ceo coo that does ordering for walmart he sits behind a desk and dictates to the stores what and how much they can order without ever stepping into a store order the same things for a store located in an upper class ritzy area as you would order in a low income area common sense says they wont sell the same items at the same rate "BUT STATISTICALLY" who cares about statistics when they dont pertain) so the government bans them which is a loss of income to the manufacturer so the manufacturer has to find a way to replace that income even if it as simple as applying a sticker

Raptorlegs 04-11-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by beergut (Post 3019856)
it's pathetic- it's like the when it was cool for a teenager to ride a kids mini BMX (like it was ever cool :confused: ) or those stupid little 100cc rice rocket motorcycles-

So you have something against fat chicks? :huh:

It's all fun...as long as there are no cameras around. :p

Jaster94 04-11-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by beergut (Post 3019856)
I actually know a teenager that rides one of these 110 chinese atv's :rolleyes: he actually thinks it the coolest thing ever :huh: He's gotta be at least 5' 7" tall and 165 lbs.

There may be a ban- but I'll never follow it- I'll buy what I want, how I want and for whom ever I want- when I want!

rock on brother! i'm with you. i'll be the judge of what/when/where/how/why/whatever i buy for whomever. it may sound self righteous, but i believe i got more common sense than any politician.

Jaster94 04-11-2011 03:07 PM

reading on the internet, if you can believe the internet, the lead ban pertains to lead based products. i guess the politicians think that kids are gonna lick the paint and battery terminals.

beergut 04-11-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jaster94 (Post 3019880)
reading on the internet, if you can believe the internet, the lead ban pertains to lead based products. i guess the politicians think that kids are gonna lick the paint and battery terminals.

hehe- my kid has more lead in his tackle-box and his BB pellets then on any atv :rolleyes:

tomorrow's headlines will read:

"MASSACHUSETTS BANS FISHING DUE TO FISH SUFFERING FROM LEAD POISONING"

:D

beergut 04-11-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Raptorlegs (Post 3019873)
So you have something against fat chicks? :huh:

It's all fun...as long as there are no cameras around. :p

god no! fat chix try real hard to please... :D

we still talking 'bout atv bans :huh:

;)