General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

How far have you ridden at ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far have you ridden at ATV?

Where I live there are just ATV parks and a few less than legal power line trails to go on so I haven't ridden very far in one sitting on an ATV. My furthest has been 18 miles this last weekend. Wondering how far you guys have ridden?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

I decided to go on an ATV adventure a few years back, and see if I could ride the entire 01 loop of the Paiute Trail, in Utah, in one day. The 01 loop is 275 miles long if you start at the KOA in Richfield and end at the same place. I rode a new 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700, all stock, with a 3.4 gallon fuel cell strapped to the rear rack, and a few snacks and some water in a gear bag strapped to the front rack. I started at 5 AM and finished at about 6 PM. 275 miles in one day on an ATV.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I found the original post I made about that ATV trip. Here it is, cut and pasted for your reading pleasure

Well folks, doing the entire 01 loop in one day is certainly possible. I have always gone by the philosophy that you won't know what you can do if you don't present yourself with the opportunity. So with that in mind, I set out to just see what was possible. I had no pre-conceived notions about how far I would have to go, or how fast I would have to go, just that I enjoyed riding my Grizzly, and I wanted to go on a good long ride. I chose a week day so there would be less traffic, and started very early in the morning so I would spend less time on the trail at peak times for trail congestion. And I had plans to be able to cut the distance short at several different places if I felt the need to do so. I had a satelite phone from work, my tools, two fully stocked tire repair kits, an extra 3.2 gallons of fuel strapped to the rear rack, bottled water, and some snacks with me. The Grizzly 700 is entirely stock, and had 489 miles on it when I started.

I have read two numbers for the actual distance of the entire 01 loop, with both 238 miles and 275 miles having been posted on the Paiute Trail website. The 275 mile figure is correct. I left the KOA in Richfield at 5:05 AM, and actually pushed my Grizzly out of the KOA so as to not wake up other RV'ers when I started it. I headed west on the 04 side trail that connects Richfield to the main 01 trail 10 miles west of Richfield. Once at the 01 trail I turned north, and rode at what I considered to be an enjoyable pace. The object of the day was to have fun, and if I made it far enough to complete the loop that would be secondary. I saw lots of deer on top of the mountain (~9000 ft elevation) before daylight, and at one time I slowed and stopped, and watched three beautiful trophy bucks just standing in the road ahead of me in the light from the headlights. I pulled into Salina, UT at 7:30, and refueled the Grizzly. I had used 2.9 gallons in the first 63 miles. From there I headed south on the east side of the loop, following the dirt roads that make up this portion of the trail. At 10:00 I refueled again in Koosharem, UT, and bought a bottle of water to drink, I was 140 miles into my trip. From here the trail changes to a single track ATV width trail as it climbs Monroe Mountain (10,000 ft elevation), and then turns to road again once on top of the mountain. I passed the major turn back point that would have cut off the southern half of the trail, and it was only 11:00 in the morning, so I decided to continue south on the 01 trail. The last 20 miles of trail coming into Circleville, UT are single track ATV width, and are dusty, with deep silt in places, and are rocky and rough. I arrived in Circleville at 12:15, and refueled the Grizzly again, and called my wife. Then I drove over to Butch Cassidys Hideout, which is the local restaraunt, and went in for lunch. Another gentleman sitting about three chairs down from me struck up a conversation with me while we ate lunch. He had owned two Sportsman 500s before, and had decided that he wanted a Grizzly 700 next time, because of the power steering. After lunch he asked to check over my Grizzly in the parking lot, and then asked if he could test drive it around the parking lot. He rode it for five minutes or so, and seemed impressed, telling me he was going to get one for himself. We said goodbye, and I left on my journey again, this time heading northwest out of Circleville, and back up in the mountains on the west side of the loop. The climb to the mountain top here is the toughest portion of the entire 01 loop, with 20 miles of steep single track ATV width trail, switchbacks that go on for miles at a time, and more rocks and boulders than anywhere else (and the whole trail tends to be rocky to begin with). I then followed the 01 trail north, for another 95 miles, back to Richfield, and finished the 275 mile loop at 6:11 PM. The trail from Circleville to Richfield is the most scenic, and is mostly single track, so I just took my time and enjoyed myself.

I would estimate that out of the 275 total miles that there are 10 miles of pavement, 100 miles of single track ATV width trail, and the rest is dirt roads. 275 miles in one day wasn't all that bad at all on the Grizzly 700. POWER STEERING IS AWESOME! The seat is great, and I never even developed a case of monkey butt. My shoulders were not sore. I only rode at a pace that I considered enjoyable, and slowed down for every turn that I could not see around, because I did not want to take chances with oncoming traffic. I slowed down in the very rocky sections to avoid tire damage. And overall I really feel like I rode fairly conservatively. I only met three or four other groups of ATVs coming from the other direction, and just pulling over to let them by was no big deal. I had no ATVs overtake me going the same direction I was going, and I likewise did not overtake any other ATVs going in my direction. I had no flats, and no mechanical glitches other than the velcro straps that held the Kolpin 3.2 gallon gas tank on broke at mile ~235. I had brought spare bungy cords with me, so I poured the extra fuel in my gas tank that was half empty at the time, and just used the bungy cords to hold the spare fuel container on for the rest of the trip. I felt fine at the end of the ride, but certainly knew that I had gotten my moneys worth out of this day of my life. Its too bad you can't say that about every day. This was a great adventure, and takes the record as the single best trail ride I have done.

The next day we were up at 5:00 AM again, and drove a hundred miles in the truck to a desert race my son was racing in. Now the race was interesting, with 75 miles of frame deep silt, mixed in with a dozen river crossings that were at some points so deep that the water was half way up on the side of the gas tank on my boys bike. But he finished, and we returned to Richfield for more ATV riding in the evening. This morning we did another 80 mile ATV ride, with my wife on her Grizzly, me on my Grizzly, and our youngest son on his Raptor 250. Our oldest son was beat after his desert race, so stayed in camp.

So there you go folks. Just goes to show that you wont know if something is possible if you don't present yourself with the opportunity.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for posting the write up. Sounds like a great day! You averaged 20 miles per hour the whole day. That is pretty quick for an ATV. When I've been out riding I've averaged only about 11 mph with all of the slow down and then speed up parts you encounter on a trail.

Next summer I'm going to have to take a day off and ride the whole Tri-County trail in southern Wisconsin. It's only about a 60 mile trail but it's the longest anywhere near me.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live right in the center of the Paiute Trail and have never riden the 01 loop.

about 130 miles in one day for me and 3-4000 per year

Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Longest single day, my son and I did 120 miles going from Jackman to Pittston Farm in Maine. Took us about 8 hours. There were some nice wide open stretches where we could do 40+.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

I haven't ridden very far on a quad, maybe 30-40 miles in one day.

3 years ago I rode my 08' 700 Polaris Dragon Switchback snowmobile from my house to my cabin at the lake and back, the whole family was going out there for new years and I had to drive out there a few days early just to turn the heat on so I decided to take my sled just because I always wanted to do that ride, it was a good ride but man was I tired when I got home, 235 miles in one day, a lot of it was on groomed trails averaging 80 mph for a good stretch so that helped.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate guy
I haven't ridden very far on a quad, maybe 30-40 miles in one day.

3 years ago I rode my 08' 700 Polaris Dragon Switchback snowmobile from my house to my cabin at the lake and back, the whole family was going out there for new years and I had to drive out there a few days early just to turn the heat on so I decided to take my sled just because I always wanted to do that ride, it was a good ride but man was I tired when I got home, 235 miles in one day, a lot of it was on groomed trails averaging 80 mph for a good stretch so that helped.
sounds like a great ride

Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done 120+ a few times and ended up with saddle sores aka quad butt.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I've done 120+ a few times and ended up with saddle sores aka quad butt.
Oh, that reminds me, on the way back from Pittston Farm I was pretty tired and we were doing around 35 or so. Came around a corner to find a cow moose standing right in the middle of the road/trail. I was thankful for single lever braking because I did not have enough time to go from the throttle to the brake with my right hand. She ambled off. I had come within about 10 feet of her.

The longest, almost all technical and rough trail, ride we took was 89 miles. Nasty rock climbs, big water/mud holes, and even a trail that was just wide enough for a quad that was being eroded by a swollen river. Took us about 11 hours. The trail that was being eroded collapsed a week later.

Quick Reply: How far have you ridden at ATV?