General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

atv with best 4x4 system?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv with best 4x4 system?

what fourwheeler has the best four wheel drive system?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

I could only find these two videos to help show how the 4wd and deferential lockers work. They will show the difference on 3 models(both videos use the can am) the arctic cat which is built similar to the suzuki,yamaha,and kinda like the kawasaki(kawasaki has a lever to hold). The other is a polaris which has thier own system that i found works quite well. And the othe atv is the can am who uses the visco lok. honda does not have a locker...anyways here ya go.
Can-Am Visco Lok Rock Crawling Fail - YouTube

ARCTIC CAT Front Differential Lock and Can-am Visco-Lok - YouTube

I own a can am 500,polaris (RZR),and arctic cat 700, so i can definitely agree that the systems DO work as seen. They say newer can am's are better but i have not seen one. Im starting to like the polaris more and more. just went riding today!!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

what about the yamaha grizzly? how good is its four wheel drive?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

it works like the arctic cat. works very well.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Yamaha, Suzuki, and Arctic Cat all have a limited slip system that can be turned into a full locker by pressing a button. All work great. Can-Am has a quicker engaging system than they did in the videos. I haven't ridden one of the newer ones yet so I can't tell you how much better it is than before. I've had some seat time on the Brute Force and don't really care for their system that uses a little yellow lever on the left handlebar that you have to pull to get to full lock. The Polaris system is similar in some ways to the Can-Am system but engages so quickly that you don't really notice it. Whose is the best???? It's a matter of personal preference. If you can, try them all out. All quad makers now have power steering available so running at full lock 4wd isn't as much of an issue with arm fatigue due to wrestling against the pull of both front tires. Oh, Honda only offers a limited slip in the front. Works for all but the most nasty rocky hill climbs or deep mud holes.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

my 98 polaris 4x4 system seems to work well....then again this is my first quad so I can't compare. I do like that I only have grease fittings on the centric type boxes...or whatever they are called. Pretty simple and the 4x4 on the fly switch works good.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Yamaha, Suzuki, and Arctic Cat all have a limited slip system that can be turned into a full locker by pressing a button. All work great. Can-Am has a quicker engaging system than they did in the videos. I haven't ridden one of the newer ones yet so I can't tell you how much better it is than before. I've had some seat time on the Brute Force and don't really care for their system that uses a little yellow lever on the left handlebar that you have to pull to get to full lock. The Polaris system is similar in some ways to the Can-Am system but engages so quickly that you don't really notice it. Whose is the best???? It's a matter of personal preference. If you can, try them all out. All quad makers now have power steering available so running at full lock 4wd isn't as much of an issue with arm fatigue due to wrestling against the pull of both front tires. Oh, Honda only offers a limited slip in the front. Works for all but the most nasty rocky hill climbs or deep mud holes.
thanks for explaining how they work moose. I had it all typed up pretty much as you do and my 9 month old came by and deleted my post just as i put the final period,Its funny now but i was ticked at the time. so i said hell with it.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only 2 I've ridden are Polaris and Yamaha. To go from 4x2 to 4x4 locked on the Yamaha you have to stop, push a button, flip a lever, push another button, then go. At least the Grizzlies I rode worked that way. With the Polaris you can go any speed and push one button to put it in 4x4. When the back wheels slip about a fraction of a revolution (1/5?) the 4x4 engages until the back gets traction then it goes back into 4x2. It happens so quickly and so smoothly that I never feel it lock or unlock. In 15 years I've never had a problem with the Polaris 4x4 system.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

When most bikes have a diff locker on it is really hard to turn, I'm a can-am fan and the visco lock works very well when the driver knows how to drive. It starts out with 3 wheel drive and when it detects wheel speed difference (front) it locks in the fourth wheel till all are turning the same speed again.

can am 2010 Visco-Lok QE - YouTube

Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
thanks for explaining how they work moose. I had it all typed up pretty much as you do and my 9 month old came by and deleted my post just as i put the final period,Its funny now but i was ticked at the time. so i said hell with it.
I've had that happen when I'm using my wife's laptop with my large hooves on the tiny keyboard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: atv with best 4x4 system?