General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Ball park ATV dealer markups?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by flyin-lowe
I worked retail in college (different animal) but for the most part, the larger the item the less markup there was. Large appliances might only make 5-10% and smaller nuts bolts, screws, etc would be 500-600% sometimes more.

The only thing I know about car dealers is from having a Chrysler green slip. Last car I bought I asked the salesman if the price was actually below dealer invoice like they claim. He assured me it was and stated that they get a refund check back from Chrysler for each one they well with an employee discount. So the company loses some of their profits and the dealer gets their profits back from Chrysler. Not sure if the others are that way or not.
Basically how it works for most. We got an "allowance" or kick back as people referred to them from Polaris on the number of units sold each year along with a small percentage of the price we paid for dealer sold Polaris accessory items. The actually money isn't in the individual machines by themselves but a combination of different things. Some dealers wouldn't be able to survive without them by just relying on sales and service only. Plus this is where the money comes from for a lot of employees "Christmas or year end bonuses" Yes the "larger" items have less percentage of profit compared to the "nuts and bolts" parts and accessories.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealers envoice

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Basically how it works for most. We got an "allowance" or kick back as people referred to them from Polaris on the number of units sold each year along with a small percentage of the price we paid for dealer sold Polaris accessory items. The actually money isn't in the individual machines by themselves but a combination of different things. Some dealers wouldn't be able to survive without them by just relying on sales and service only. Plus this is where the money comes from for a lot of employees "Christmas or year end bonuses" Yes the "larger" items have less percentage of profit compared to the "nuts and bolts" parts and accessories.
forget dealers in voice, think dealers cost, there is a huge profit over that !

Old 01-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgeracer
forget dealers in voice, think dealers cost, there is a huge profit over that !
Can't speak for the auto industry,but I can for what we paid for Polaris atvs and the money isn't there that you may think. I held the dealer sheets in my own hands. If there was a huge profit I sure would have made a heck of a lot more money than I did. And so would the other techs and owners. The money is in parts mark up,accessories and kick backs at the end of year on number of units sold and a percentage of total Polaris accessories/parts we sold. I was privy to that information also. That's where our year end bonuses came from. The rest of this money went back into the shop to help with operation expenses.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2016 450. at my dealer is was a 1000$ difference which is the base difference between the 450 and 570 i have lifted my 450 2 " and run 28 mega mayhams i have gone everywhere 570s and even higher cc other brands. it tops out at 53 mph which is way faster than i really care to go. it says 570 on the motor it is the same motor just tuned down. for 350$ u can have it tuned up to the same specs as the 570. the 450 is a very underrated machine. go 450 wish i could upload a pic