General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

trading in my Quad, what do they look for at the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trading in my Quad, what do they look for at the dealer?

looking to bring my quad as a trade-in and upgrade to a SxS. What does the dealer usually look over on it when you bring them in for trade? I spent 6 hours cleaning it up. it's a 2010 so obviously it's not perfect. i'm guessing it will help that i am switching brands so they won't know as much about it? or maybe they will offer me less money for it too since its not one of their brands.

fyi - going Polaris to Arctic Cat

Old 10-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Don't expect a lot. Not knowing the actual model, can't see what NADA may price it at. Also you're trading it in when most riding is coming to an end. Chances are they're have this stuck in inventory or have a place they can unload it and not take a loss. I know here, they pay a monthly inventory tax. They are not going to want to pay for keeping it.

Have you considered a private sale? Might want to see what the dealer is offering. Selling it yourself may give you a few extra dollars towards the new SxS.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

i would prefer a private sale but i add oil to this machine around every 80 miles. it does not smoke at idle but im guessing it does a little at higher speeds. i would be upfront and tell a private party this info but im guessing this would make it about as valuable as a dealer would give me for it. what do you think?
-the dealer pays nada trade value after looking at it

Old 10-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

also, do the major companies usually do rebates in the spring as well? only reason i want to buy one now is $1500 worth of rebates. but then by the time the new riding season starts here my warranty will be expired.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Well, here's another thought.

You say riding season, like it's going to be over soon. So you save $1500 now, but lose a warranty when you start riding. So do you chance that they didn't tighten something later?

As far as rebates go, I have no idea what type of schedule they use to offer those. You could take the savings now and put that towards an extended warranty, solving the problem above.

If they're offering you nada value, that would be hard to pass up. Rarely have I seen a dealer do that. Usually, it's low enough that a private party sale is worth the extra effort.

So looking at what I see so far, the trade in price wouldn't be bad, the $1500 rebate would be good and I'd bargain for an extended warranty with a price break on that.

However it goes, good luck and hope you get the SxS soon.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

just to clarify on what they are offering for nada value, they are offering the one below under 'low retail'
and yes, riding season here is may 15 - december 15 (but its too cold for me in december)

Suggested Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price $7,999 $3,615 $4,755

thank you for the advice

Old 10-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

I would advertise it on Craigs list, and local newspaper. I would not be volunteering that you are swapping for an AC, but be honest about the oil consumption. Trust me, the AC dealer will know all about the problems with Polaris. Many of us AC owners already traded up from Polaris. I was able to sell a 400 Sportsman to a private party for way more than I paid for it, except, I spent a fortune fixing the darned pos. I never figured out why everyone loves Polaris so much, imho, AC's are way better made. I'll give up a bit of top speed for reliability. Also, my AC's have never tried to incinerate me!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

yep i'm either going w a wildcat 700 or a can am commander 1000.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I test rode a used Wildcat Trail recently and was pretty impressed with the power of it. It didn't have eps though, the new models have it as an option in the limited edition I believe. It didn't steer that heavy but with eps it would have been effortless. I traded my Grizzly for my Brute Force and the dealer didn't really look at much. I told them it wasn't in perfect shape but they basically gave me nada trade-in value for it. It definitely needed some things fixed. I didn't tell them specifically what was wrong with it. I figured I'd let them look it over and determine it themselves. When trading in to a dealer, don't tell them anything they don't ask. That's probably the biggest bit of advice to give. Don't lie but the don't ask, don't tell philosophy applies here. I honestly don't really know what all needed fixed but I knew it would have cost quite a lot. Overheating problem, engine braking wasn't working properly, shift linkage needed adjusted or replaced, carb needed cleaned or rebuilt. I think it had a bad front shock too.