General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Newbie seeking Advice from Pros

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie seeking Advice from Pros

Just joined this forum, now I'm looking my first ATV, a good affordable used one.

I'm in northern Oregon, have been checking out Craigslist for a couple of weeks. This area is full of Hunting/Fishing enthusiasts, ATVs are very common. Looks like better than half of my neighbors have one or two ATVs of all sort. Many have side by sides, but mostly 2WD single riders.

Narrowed down to three 2WD within my budget of $2,000 or so. I need to go out to inspect, but don't have no clue what to look for to avoid ending up with someone's headache.

#1 - 2007 Honda Recon 250 asking $2,000/obo
2WD, electric start, racks, says kept inside mostly, looks clean - 2nd owner

all images are taken from their Craigslist postings

Name:  Honda%20Recon%20250.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  67.3 KB

#2 - 2008 Honda Rancher 420 asking $2,800
2WD, Euel Injection, Recently serviced, new 5 speed transmission w/reverse

Name:  Honda%20Rancher%20420.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  15.2 KB

#3 - 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400 asking $2,800
2WD, Ultramatic transmission/auto, Elec start, excellent condition
High, Low, Reverse and Parking gear(not sure what it means)

Name:  Yamaha%20Kodiak%204oo.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  113.2 KB

Above offers were posted with 1, 2 and 4 images only. I have asked them to provide more detailed photos showing critical areas that may or may not show mud/rust, I hope not, currently waiting for photos to be emailed to me.

Please advice me what to look for and what to ask when I go to see the ATVs. Thanks a million for your precious time and advice.

Steve

Old 03-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the Kodiak because I like automatics. That one and the Rancher will be close to the same horsepower. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kodiak had more power.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I would get the Kodiak because I like automatics. That one and the Rancher will be close to the same horsepower. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kodiak had more power.
Thanks for the reply, I like automatic transmission as well.
Could you please comment on what to look for and what to ask when I'm there to inspect?
Also, being 8 years older than Rancher doesn't really make any difference as long as they were maintained well?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider

Are you sure that you want 2wd? 4WD/awd are much more useful, imho. Snow, mud? BTW It's not terribly expensive to ship an ATV. I bought my Arctic Cat Diesel from Georgia. Cost $325 to get it to Maine, the seller picked up half the cost. I found it on an Arctic Cat forum= <ArcticChat.com> It was exactly what the seller explained. I think you can do better.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All seem a bit overpriced. Maybe used atvs cost more where you are from. Here's a relatively local Kodiak 450 4x4 thats newer and costs less than the 2wd 400 kodiak posted https://westky.craigslist.org/snd/6054478087.html. For $2500 here, you can get a decent 4x4 quad. Of those 3, the Rancher looks the nicest. If it were 4wd, the price sounds reasonable. The Recon is by far the cheapest machine of the 3, I'd offer a little less for it, that's a reasonable offer. To me that seems like a ridiculous price for a 2000 2wd Kodiak. NADA does have an atv section to look up used values of atvs. Here's what it says about a 2000 2wd Kodiak 400 2000 Yamaha YFM400AM Kodiak (2WD) Prices and Values - NADAguides. The Rancher is a bit closer to real value 2008 Honda TRX420TM8 FourTrax Rancher Prices and Values - NADAguides. And the Recon is pretty much spot on for what they're asking 2007 Honda TRX250TM7 FourTrax Recon Prices and Values - NADAguides. The Kodiak 400 according to NADA is priced more than double what its worth. And bald tires to boot, at least the Rancher appears to have decent tread on its tires. Recon could use some tires as well.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your putting yourself at a disadvantage with a 2wd machine. Yes, 4wd will cost you a bit more but you'll regret not having it when you need it.
Look for leaks, drips and/or remnants of under the machine.
Lift the front end and shake the wheels front to back and top to bottom..<-- bearing/bushings
Check the air filter... and spark plug...
Check the lights and all accessory functions...
If the tires don't have AT LEAST 1/2" of tread, your going to end up buying new tires sooner than you were expecting.
Check if the handlebars are straight when the tires are tracking straight.
Check if the tires have the same orientation when the handlebars are pointing straight.
These are just a few things to check... most important though, is how it runs. Not just sitting there idling... but gassing it up and down the block...

Good luck

Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't think you are going to be happy with a 2wd you really limit where you can go safely

Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Of the ones listed, if you like an automatic, go with the Kodiak. The Honda 5 speed is semi-automatic in the respect that you don't have to pull in a clutch lever to shift. Been on both. I prefer automatics now.

I'm with the others on looking for a 4wd. Northern Oregon must see a lot of snow if you aren't near the ocean. Snow and 2wd is difficult at best.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't realize the Kodiak was that old. I was thinking they were all about the same age. I wouldn't buy one that old even if it was in really good condition. And like greg74 pointed out it's way overpriced.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
All seem a bit overpriced. Maybe used atvs cost more where you are from. Here's a relatively local Kodiak 450 4x4 thats newer and costs less than the 2wd 400 kodiak posted https://westky.craigslist.org/snd/6054478087.html. For $2500 here, you can get a decent 4x4 quad. Of those 3, the Rancher looks the nicest. If it were 4wd, the price sounds reasonable. The Recon is by far the cheapest machine of the 3, I'd offer a little less for it, that's a reasonable offer. .

I don't know why, but those listed on CL in this area, asking price seems to be much higher. For instance, ATV Trader lists new 2016 Recon(base model) for $2,999+ fee, a few used ones are asking for $2,500 - $2,800, but not many are offered. IMO, a 10 year old ATV shouldn't cost more than 50-60% of their original price.

I suppose it's the law of economy - demand is more than people willing to sell their used toy. I have been watching CL on all over in Oregon/Washington area, the over priced ones are not being sold, but they aren't lowering asking price.