General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Investment Grade Old ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're right Jumbo: The 4 stroke singles in that 450 class are better trail riders even if they aren't as exciting as a 2 stroke "on the pipe" so to speak.

David

Old 05-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could see a few that might have collector potential, mostly sport or racing machines because the supply of them tends to dwindle as time goes by due to them typically having shorter lifespans than 4wd or utility machines. By the time they're 15 or 20 years old chances are decent they've been crashed, raced, heavily modded or rebuilt, or just beat to death.
To be collectible, I'd say the particular model also would have to be out of production for some time, making the supply fixed.

Any 1980s ATC or TRX 250R two stroke in good condition
Any Quadzilla (LT500R) in good condition
ATC350X
Suzuki LT250R
ATC200X
Banshees in good or stock-ish condition.

Most of the 450 and 400 class racing and sport machines are still in production and are young enough that clean used examples are still quite plentiful.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Back Country Explorer

Thanks a lot NCLandBroker: That is the type of information I was looking for. I know the Honda ATC 250R is rather legendary. The Suzukis are too. Maybe one of those two might show up for sale some day, and have restoration possibilities. And then be worth a bit more in the market. Who knows.

Maybe some others will have some input too.

David

Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Back Country Explorer

Well, I just haven't found much market potential for "restored" vintage ATVs. I was looking at 10 year old Honda TRX450r sport ATVs. NADA retail for on 07 is $2400 in my zip code. Craigslist had some 05 to 08 in various condition from $2000 to $4000.

To overhaul one of these machines; engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, and plastics could easily be $4000 in parts. I don't see much upside.

I'm not interested in the vintage 3 wheelers as there is a real safety concern with these machines in inexperienced hands.

David