General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Investment Grade Old ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Investment Grade Old ATVs

I was wondering about famous old ATVs that are in demand as collector bikes. The kind you could buy cheap, fix up, and sell for a profit.

Maybe the original Honda ATC90 ought to be in any respected collection. Maybe the Yamaha Banshee 250 rates right up there, or the Honda TRX450, or Suzuki LT450. Maybe a good two stroke is worth more than a 4 stroke. I imagine the sport bikes with a successful racing reputation are worth more than a utility ATV like an old Honda Rancher.

Maybe someday I'd stumble on a collector grade ATV that would be worth restoring. Here is an old Polaris Trail Blazer 250 I saw beside the road. It is a worthwhile project?

David

Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 2000 TrailBlazer 250 that looked like that. I put a Scrambler style dual headlight kit on the handlebars because the headlight it came with wasn't very good. I replaced the hood with one that didn't have the headlight hole. IIRC it was black, not yellow. It was probably for a Scrambler 400 since it still had the oil tank opening. I put the TrailBlazer 250 decal on it and it looked like it came that way. I put a yellow plastic bash plate on the front and a rack on the back so I could take my cooler with me. I had to drill 2 holes through the bash plate so I could bolt a U-shaped recovery hook thing to the front of the frame in case I needed a tow. It was fun making it uniquely mine but after all that I only kept it for a year or so because it didn't have enough power. I wouldn't bother with one again.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Entry level sport machine that Polaris made thousands and thousands of. You'll either find them beat all to hell or in pristine condition from people that rode them a couple times and stored them in the garage. Low powered as jumbofrank said and certainly not in the collector range status as the other machines you mentioned. Still good to find machines like this as a cheap way to get on the trails and have a little fun in a decent looking atv.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those will be a hot item, when overweight, poor, white guys become attractive too 20 year old models with phd's and lots of money.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Back Country Explorer

Gee hydrex: I think hell might freeze over first before your prophecy becomes true. I'm not holding my breath.

David

Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 PM
Back Country Explorer

So anyone have any suggestions on exceptional vintage ATVs that might be worth a rebuild? I can name sports cars that are, but not ATVs or motorcycles.

David

Old 04-29-2017, 10:36 PM
Moto Psycho

I posted this in the Shunned ATVs thread but should have put it here. A collector's model that looks like it doesn't need any work. Check out this 1970 Honda ATC90. Three-Wheeled Wonder: 1970 Honda ATC90

Old 04-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Atv's are not like cars that become valuable with age.. It is a very limited market on who would find value in a older model.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:18 PM
Back Country Explorer

I don't know Zrock: I think there are crazy folks that like to collect, or own a piece of history. The ATV hobby is very big. There are a lot of long time enthusiasts who might like a Honda ATC90 in the garage just to ponder how it all began. Then there are the sport racers who have fond memories of many wins on a Yamaha Banshee.

I'm new to the hobby and don't know where people's interests lie. I need to join a club and get a better perspective.

David

Old 04-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Moto Psycho

I think most Banshees were modded which wouldn't be that great if you wanted to restore one to factory new condition for a collection. There are still some on the trails but not a lot where I ride. One guy I ride with has one but most of the time he leaves it at home and rides his Suzuki 450. I believe it's called a Quadracer 450R. That one's probably better on trails and it looks brand new. That would be a good one to sell to a collector.