General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

wow I feel stupid, Polaris.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow I feel stupid, Polaris.

Also what could I use to clean up that nasty gunk on my motor and trans??? What do you guys prefer this is my 2001 scrambler 2x4 500 and I'd love to get it looking newer, really nice quads. Didn't like it from pics til i rode it and found out how quick these are.
I've currently been asking a lot of questions to why my motor bogs and backfires only in nuteral and in reverse thanks to old Polaris tech I didn't know there was a little yellow switch by my killswitch and it is my rev limiter I held it while I was in reverse bogging problem was gone, but when I reved it up it backfired still and sounded awful, I did a experiment this morning and I held the button and problem solved. Didn't know you had to hold the button just to rev but I understand it's to save my motor, Polaris is smart about how they did things but dang the are confusing, I'm not experienced to quads either I've worked on them on little things and hate even touching the wiring. But I'm teaching myself stuff slowly and hopefully this will help someone else who doesn't know about this. I knew cars had them but not a quad but does make sense to me now I feel stupid.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Don't feel bad, we were all new to this at one time.

As for cleaning, I used Simple Green. Good grease cutter. May have to let it soak, and depending on how bad it is, do it again.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on the Simple Green. Good stuff. You can pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module and stop the backfiring and you won't have to push the over ride button in reverse to have full power from then on. This module can also cause problems while in forward range also if it shorts out. Item#30.

Attached Thumbnails wow I feel stupid, Polaris.-36c8b31b1f5ba15d64539429fac9e11e48d78f44.png