General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

1986? Moto 4 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:25 PM
The Time Killer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986? Moto 4 Questions

Hello to all! I'm new to the forum. I have a couple of questions regarding an old Moto 4 I bought not too long ago.

The handlebars are bent on it. Not enough to discourage riding this tank around, but enough to be annoying. I've been looking at the Renthal handlebars for it, but which bend do I choose for this universal utility quad?

Second Question is about the VIN number. According to the VIN rules, it appears to be a 1986. When I try to lookup the vin, most searches result in an invalid number. The one site that I got info said that based on certain vin digits, it's a 1986 YFM225. I could swear this thing was a 250. I'm not sure now. I have my vin number posted.

The thing that has me confused about the year is that I just put new brakes on the front and back, but so far the front brake cable and the foot brake cable I ordered for this year and model both do not fit. The front cable is too long and has the wrong end on it. (The end that goes into the box where the main cable pulls both side cables at once) The foot cable I bought is about 5 inches too short from one end of the nylon sleeve to the other end.

So that's it for today. I wanted to buy a nice new handlebar and I need to confirm the model/year of this beast so I can replace the brake cables.

I love this thing! Got it for 500 bucks from a guy and all it needed was a key switch to get it running. It needs a little TLC but I've been beating the hell out of it and it takes it all without missing a beat!

Thanks!

VIN for the Moto4

Old 07-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Definitely an '86. This is what I get, 1986 Yamaha YFM225S.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:56 AM
The Time Killer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty then! That's one thing cleared up more. Now I have to find the foot brake cable for it. The one I bought is supposed to be for an 86 but it's definitely too short. This is the one I bought for it but I'm sending it back today --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motion-P...RYO21S&vxp=mtr