ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Weird things going on with my trail boss (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/373249-weird-things-going-my-trail-boss.html)

shndags 08-25-2017 06:57 PM

Weird things going on with my trail boss

Hi all, I'm having issues with my 92 trail boss 250 that have me puzzled. I started it after sitting a few weeks just to spray a few weeds with it, it felt like the brake was grabbing, the rear mechanical (the front and rear hydraulics aren't hooked up). I parked it until a few days later when I had time to mess with it, yep felt like grabbing again. I rode it around the side of the house to load onto a trailer and the brake seemed to completely seize up and the quad wouldn't move. I gave some gas and something started smoking, but didn't smell like brakes (couldn't tell for sure where the source was) and the quad died. I pulled the caliper off but forgot to shut off the gas and fuel came out the carb. Quad wouldn't start (figured it flooded, so I'd wait). Three days later and no dice, still won't start.just runs the battery down. Plug looks good, not wet, and getting alot of spark...getting fuel and air. Could I have seized something else? Like smoked the clutch or seized the crank or something? What do I need to look at?

Kymco 450i 08-25-2017 09:45 PM

Can you manually turn the engine over? At least that would tell you if the engine was seized. If fuel is coming out of the carb your float/needle valve is stuck open. If engine turns over than look into drive train, clutches etc.

old polaris tech 08-26-2017 03:30 AM

Bottom of the crank case is a 10mm drain plug.Drain it and see if you can start it then by holding the throttle wide open. If it wont start and you have spark,check compression.If it's below 100psi time for a top end at least. If compression is above 100psi,you may have popped a crank seal behind the drive clutch.

shndags 08-26-2017 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i (Post 3371329)
Can you manually turn the engine over? At least that would tell you if the engine was seized. If fuel is coming out of the carb your float/needle valve is stuck open. If engine turns over than look into drive train, clutches etc.

unfortunatly the pull start mechanism was removed before I bought it so all I've got is the electric start. I don't know how else to tell if it's seized up. Over the next couple days as I get time I'll pull the clutch housing/cover off and see what it looks like. What am I looking for? How can I tell if the clutch is shot?

shndags 08-26-2017 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3371336)
Bottom of the crank case is a 10mm drain plug.Drain it and see if you can start it then by holding the throttle wide open. If it wont start and you have spark,check compression.If it's below 100psi time for a top end at least. If compression is above 100psi,you may have popped a crank seal behind the drive clutch.

ill be looking into the compression as soon as I can find my tester (you know how things disappear as soon as you need em!). I'll try the drain plug too and pull the cover off the clutches as soon as I can, how can I tell if it's bad? I have tested the compression a while back just for the heck of it and it was at 90, so I figured then a top end job would be in the near future when I got caught up with my other projects.

old polaris tech 08-27-2017 08:15 AM

It you tested it a while back and it was 90psi,think I'd go ahead and pull the top end.Sounds like this last go round probably finished it off.