General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Looking at a UTV 4 seater (Teryx4 or Ranger Crew)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a UTV 4 seater (Teryx4 or Ranger Crew)

Hey guys and gals,

My wife and I enjoy ATVing and it is something we have been doing our entire relationship. We both love our ATVs and don't want to give it up, however we now have kids and for the past 2 ATVs seasons, we barely got to hit the trails. Which, as you all know, is a shame. So as a result, my wife asked me to look in UTVs, which would allow us to take the kids out riding, rather then finding childcare. I narrowed our search down to the Ranger Crew and Teryx-4. However, I do not know which is best for us and we keep flip flopping, so I am hoping others have a good perspective.

We ride mostly in Northern NH (Ride the Wilds), which is 1000 miles of trails, which include logging roads, town roads, and a blend of ATV trails (easy, intermediate, and advance trails). However, I would also like a UTV which would be good for hunting and hauling my gear, which includes dogs, decoys, stands, blinds, and of course game (I hope anyway haha). I like the Teryx, because it is sporty, faster, and has better reviews for trail riding, but could also hold some gear. My wife likes the Ranger, because she thinks it is more versatile, meaning we could use it to gather firewood, I would complain less about it during the hunting season, and it still allows us to go anywhere the Teryx would in NH.

Does anyone here own a UTV and take out there kids? And if so, what do you use? Also, what do you guys think is a better machine for our intended purposes?

Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have no experience with either machine so I am only commenting from what I have read (yes I read a lot!!) and what I have heard from other people that have used them. The Polaris machines are a bit cheaper and there may be a reason for that as it appears they have more issues. Based on a national average of repairs per thousand machines the Polaris is one of the higher rated machines when it comes to repairs. Do keep in mind that they also sell 4x as many machines as other manufacturers so the repair rate might be higher due to the number out there. When I bought my Kymco machine I researched for about 6 months and looked at everything within a 50 mile radius of Toledo Ohio. I was looking at a simple side x side two seater unit and I looked over under around and thru each machine. Many of the dealers were not happy with the scrutiny I was giving their equipment.
For me personally as a toolmaker for more than 50 yrs and working with production and assembly for the auto industry I am knowledgeable about production line assembly, fit, finnish and welded assemblies. Of all the machines I looked at the Polaris machines had the poorest fit and welds. That is just my personal opinion but that did shy me away from them. Do not just look at the pretty paint job or fancy decals or even popularity of a particular machine, get don under and look closely at how they are put together. Then do a search on repairs for any models you are interested in and see how often repairs are needed. Sorry I could not be of more help.