General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Which one should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one should I get?

Hey guys. Just a quick question. I a new to riding and need a good reliable ATV. It is mostly going to be used for trails, just having some fun with friends. Backroad riding, mudding, backwood trails, etc. I have found two different ATV's that I thought would be a good choice but wanted some input from people who actually know what they are doing. Although I know with my $1500 cap out it's a bit tough.

Okay, so the first one that I saw was a 2000 Yamaha Banshee 350 Limited. Has ITP rims, Holeshot tires, Mod quad head, Toomey T-5 pipes with Uni Filter Airbox kit, Renthal handlebars with Twist Grip Throttle, Hinson Clutch. (Now I'm not going to lie, I do not understand a word of that I just copied and pasted it.) - This option is $800.

Now the other one that I saw was a 2004 Honda 400EX. Seller only said it has a 440 Bore kit and a couple of other things added. - This option is around $1500.

If also possible, add whether parts are available or not. I know with the 400EX there are plenty of aftermarket parts available for it that will work just fine. But like with the Banshee, I do not know anything about it and would like to know if parts are easily accessible. Just in case I go out, ride it once or twice and something breaks, it won't be a project to get it fixed.

-Thanks

Old 12-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from Colorado. I posted a similar question to the Forum about a year ago when I was in the market for an ATV. You will likely get quite a bit of advice. These forums helped me. I'll be the first one to speak up here.

The Banshee is a sport ATV, two stroke, rear wheel drive, chain drive, and generally not the greatest riding where you want to ride. Pass on that one.

The Honda is more like it. I think the EX means electric shift. The Honda electric shift transmissions were a problem for many. If it has the electric shift, I'd keep looking if I were you.

I think you're looking for about a 400cc class machine. Since you are new to the hobby, try to find someone who can help you look, like one of your buddies. Craigslist has many ATVs listed in my neck of the woods. You will need someone to help you inspect the condition of a prospect machine.

Used ATVs in this price range are often "projects". ATVs are often ridden hard just like you want to do. Expect many hours of wrenching as you have to fix this and fix that. It's good fun.

Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki are good brands. The Honda is geared toward the utility vehicle with their Rancher and Foreman models. I don't think they are the greatest trail machines.

David

Old 12-11-2017, 10:07 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of these atvs are sport atvs. Is that what your friends ride for the trails? I would lean more towards a 4x4 atv for trails and mudding. I ride with a neighbor occasionally that rides a 400ex and it does ok on The trails but is not comfortable for day long rides and has been stuck several times needing to get pulled out. The banshee is a high reving speed machine and for $800, I'd bet it needs some or allot work.Best advice anyone here will give you is to Test Ride each one and see what you like. Best of luck with your purchase and keep us informed on your decision.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't want to go mudding on a 2wd. It's possible to get through some mud holes if you have enough skill and luck, but sooner or later you'll get stuck if you keep it up. If your friends are willing to pull you out of the mud all the time that's okay, but if not, a lot of times 4x4 will keep you from getting stuck. When you do get a 4x4 stuck it's going to take an effort to get it out and you should have a winch and accessories to winch yourself out.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

If you have $1,500 or more, you can find a decent 4x4 ATV. Here is a picture of an AC 400 4X4 that I bought for $1,400 a couple years ago. It only needed a rear caliper, owner even had the parts to fix. I fixed it, drove it 2 years and recently sold it for $2,500!

Attached Thumbnails Which one should I get?-p1010035.jpg  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

With you being a new rider i would stay away from both of those machines. They are speed machines and not suited for what you want to do. Plus with them being 2 stroke they need constant work and rebuilds every so often. Im betting the one for 800 needs at least a upper engine rebuild

Old 12-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

X2 on Zrock's post

Old 12-13-2017, 11:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want something that is a little sport and still has 4x4, I'd look for a Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4. You might be able to find one in the $1500 range. Its smaller and lighter than most 4x4 utility machines but still has 4x4 to help you get through some mud. Plenty of power, especially for a beginner.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Country Rider

Hey there. I would strongly say the Honda 400ex. It has pretty good power and is the best trail quad out there. The banshee is way to fast for trails and is high maintnce.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Country Rider

I think you would like a 400ex. Another quad to consider is a Yamaha raptor 350.

Quick Reply: Which one should I get?