General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Best 2000 Polaris Scrambler Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 2000 Polaris Scrambler Mods

I have a 2000 Polaris Scrambler 400 4X4, and I would like to do some more mods to it. So far, I've put some new Douglas .190 polished wheels, and also new Kenda Bearclaws, with a 12 inch rear tire rather than 11. I have also invested about 6 hours of custom fabrication because all of the winch mounts on the market mount on top of the tube bumper, so I fabricated a plate to mount inside the stock tube bumper, using some angle iron and the stock winch plate, and I have managed to squeeze a Warn Vantage 2000-S between the tubes, and the radiator. I want to do some mods to the quad, things such as an AAEN pipe kit, and clutching, as well as a K&N high airflow air filter. My biggest concern at the moment is the engine, it runs like a champ, and I've heard that the Scrammy's were good in their day, but after many hours of use so far (and use in the winter plowing), what are the odds of my piston skirt blowing off and falling in the crank? I've been through that before with a sled and I'd rather not do it again. Being that it is eighteen years old, I don't know if it would be better to put a high compression Wiseco in there just to be sure before throwing on a pipe and clutch kit. My other issue is that I cannot seem to find where the pricing for the AAEN kits are, on the website, all they list is the specs, and no pricing for the different kits.

Thanks again, and help would be appreciated (I attached pictures of my Scrambler below, I still need to get the front rock guard and radiator guard installed)

Before
Front with winch
Winch mount #1
Winch mount #2

Old 01-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Nice looking set up.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by -QuadKid-
I've been through that before with a sled and I'd rather not do it again. Being that it is eighteen years old, I don't know if it would be better to put a high compression Wiseco in there just to be sure before throwing on a pipe and clutch kit. My other issue is that I cannot seem to find where the pricing for the AAEN kits are, on the website, all they list is the specs, and no pricing for the different kits.
Welcome. Clean as it is but being a 2000 model I would definitely up grade to a Wiseco. Not that higher of a compression piston,but a stronger forged piston and less likely to shatter over time. Have to take it down and see what over size needed that will clean up the bore. Probably first over(.020 over) but best to check before you order one.ATV Forged Pistons & Performance Parts - Wiseco Piston Inc. Plus piston kits are on ebay,amazon. See if this helps on Aaen parts for the 400. Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV Two Stroke - Top End Pipes

Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would it be bad to get a stock sized piston if the jug is still good? Also, I’ve taken apart a few sleds and it’s been difficult, but with just one piston, how hard is it to get the carb tuned right? I’ve heard of issues with them burning differently after the rebuild.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by -QuadKid-
Would it be bad to get a stock sized piston if the jug is still good? Also, I’ve taken apart a few sleds and it’s been difficult, but with just one piston, how hard is it to get the carb tuned right? I’ve heard of issues with them burning differently after the rebuild.
You're almost never able to install a stock piston in an already worn cylinder. Usually just too much clearance.Carbs are the simple part. Plenty of videos on these simple carbs like these two here.Plus something that would really help you is this cheap service manual. It can answer a lot of your questions.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2000-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 01-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, would I have to jet it differently for the pipe and intake? If so, how would I go about finding the right sized jet?

Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do believe there are still some folks out there that make complete kits for these that would include shaving the head and cylinder porting (pipe, carb mod, clutching, etc). All mine were HPD modified, but they retired. Unless you have lots of time and really understand clutching, getting a matched kit is the easiest path to a fast & reliable Scrambler. Mind you, most of these kits will require 93 octane fuel as the head shave bumps compression up a bit. Suspension-wise, you can get a big name rear shock (I prefer the Fox Floats for their ease of rebuilding) but not too much out there for the struts (Fox makes a HPG strut)...if you ride tough terrain I'd also invest in a steering damper as well...

Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Aaen performance parts is one place for mods that I listed,don't know if you saw the link. Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV Two Stroke - Top End Pipes

Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I saw the link, is there a whole kit? Does it come with the required carb parts for the pipe to run?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Why don't you give member Rick Ritter a call. He's been working on the 400 engines and mods for years.Ritter Cycle Racing - FAST, NOT FICTION.

Quick Reply: Best 2000 Polaris Scrambler Mods