General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Need buddy/friend over 50 for up north michigan trail riding companion

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PAIR OF 04'S
Might make you feel better about your last bad trip experience up north!
Just made 2 trips up this month, expecting to stay at St Helens, Mi. Trail system for 4 days, each time.
First trip: 2 weeks ago, after waiting out the heat, from last months 90's, we were more than ready! Had plenty of time beforehand to get everything together!! and so confident (after triple checking quads, food, expenses, tanks of gas, camp equipment etc) that all was going to go well, that we went ahead and paid, ''in advance'' for all 4 days. BIG MISTAKE! Never do this, unless absolutely necessary, **** happens!! way too often!! So many things can go wrong, to cause an entire trip to fold!
We were so looking forward to a long 75 mile round trip, from camp, to Luzerne, over to Bull Gap, down to (excluding the Pink store lol) Rose City, over to Clear Lk. then back to camp. After getting there we got the campsite bolted down, left word with family, about our grand trip, waved by-by to other campers, with their wishing us a good trip, then with proud smiles on our faces and confidently saying that we would see them ''way late'' that day, we quickly revved out of camp across the street, heading into the trail head, then while punching the throttle, (expecting a powerful wheelie and to show our enthusiasm, that we were finally starting out, after anticipating this moment for months already!!) but instead of that expected jolt/lift off! a disappointing bog! Punched the throttle several times hoping to blow out or pass something in the fuel line, that might have clogged something, but didn't help, even after riding for several miles w/ no improvement! Headed back to camp, with our tails tucked between our legs, hanging our heads low, trying not to show our sad faces lol Spent the rest of the day visually inspecting, along w/ manual/web research, trying different trouble shooting tricks, with still no improvement, decided to head over to the power sport dealer, right there on the corner from camp, but unfortunately too busy to even allow us to speak to one of their mechanics, for advice! Sacked out early in despair and hoping that something might magically energize a few brain cells by morning, but only signaled a couple of hungry bellies! Headed over to the Hen house next to the atv dealer ''right there on the corner'' and ate a great breakfast hoping again to open up them dead cells, but still nothing!! We finally had to painfully admit we were out of options, and made the decision to head back, canceling a perfectly great frickin weather/riding weekend!! !st time ever having to cancel a trip, since we first started riding up there, many times a year, since 86!!
After getting back home (to our shock & embarrassment) grandson yelled out, that he knew what the problem was, before we even had a chance to back the trailer all the way up, into the driveway, saying it was from the added air from the holes we had drilled into the air box lid, before we left home! He was right, are dumb asses had drilled holes in the air box lids expecting to (from what we both read) would increase hp, but what we both neglected to do was to turn the dam page, where it said to also increase fuel flow from a 120 mj to 180! and pilot jet from 48 - 50. We always get into such a great hurry, to just get out of town, that we would forget our asses, if they weren't attached! But remember what I already mentioned DUDES before you all start in on me here, this was the first time we ever had to call it quits over anything, so shut it! lol As soon as we taped over the holes that we drilled out, it brought the ''r'' back to life, once again! I know we should have done our homework, and researched things before taking the easy way.... if it sounds to good to be true....
Life just ain't fair sometimes and can get worse, much worse!!!!!!!!
read on....
2nd trip: This last weekend, we had planned to take in (for the first time) the ST HELENS annual ORV JAM WEEKEND 8/10 -12, We decided to get there early, Thursday, since the campsites were going fast, with only a few sites left. Fortunately they gave us credit for the 2 days, from the week before cancellation. I went with my grandson and his buddy, since my son had to work. I rode my Honda trx450r, Grandson rode his 450 dirt bike, and his buddy rode, my sons trx450r. We had it planned to ride all around the area, since this was their first trip there, and to get most of the trail riding out of the way, before the Jam started on Friday. Headed out first to the rock climbs, then over across the rd. to hill climbs, then to circle sand pits (we call them), then made our way, way out around towards Ski hill area, n of West Branch, and that's when ''**** HAPPENED'' I was talking about this poop/ka-ka part earlier lol, the trx blew a rod, through the lower case. We were in an area way back in there, where the road/trail had very fine, deep, dry sand. We had to leave his buddy there, while we went back for the truck, to try and plow back in there with grandsons, bald tires (grandson does a lot of burn outs, on new tires, just bought 3 mo. ago, go figure.... kids lol) and i mean barely made it back there, loaded it up and luckily made it back to camp, aw swerving and aw swaying! Needlessly to say, that was the end of his weekend ride! Now it gets even worse!
read on....
Day two: Friday grandson and I, go out early before the sand drag started, when his 450 starts overheating causing him to shut it down, often, causing us to head back to camp early, then learning he had blown a head gasket, leaking coolant out through the exhaust. Fortunately made it back in time for the races, but left me riding ''ALONE'' (MAN DO I NEED A TRAIL BUDDY FRIEND!!) lol for the rest of the trip, but still, we all had a super great time, and kids wouldn't have missed the experience for anything! It's funny how we always remember bad trip experiences, but never quite remember the ones when everything goes, as planned, so looking at the bright side here, we will at least have, out of this trip, if nothing else, some great lasting memories, lol

Hope all this makes, your trip seem so much better lol

Last edited by 4-tracker; 08-14-2018 at 01:58 PM. Reason: ADD PICS
Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$h!t happens. And happens. And happens some more.
And then it happens again.
Finally, when you think it can't possibly get any worse, it does.

Glad you all made it back okay. Luckily I've never had an engine problem, but I broke a tie-rod once. That ended my ride in a hurry. My friend helped me get my quad off the trail then took off. I started a fire and curled up next to it until he got back with a trailer. Oh well. $h!t happens. A lot.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

I always tell everyone to take a few emergency items, when heading out, away from camp, or rural areas, because **** will happen eventually! and it could be late at night, lost, wet, gets cold quickly up there, when the sun go down, and it gets scary too! Especially when your all alone, so having matches could be your bestest friend, ever! Along with a good set of tools/coat/rain gear/plug/water/snack/tow/map/flashlight/bailing wire/heat-duct tape/cell phone/money! lol ''money'' might seem funny because everyone carries cash, on a long trip, right? Reminds me of the time, when there was 8 of us, way out, so far we couldn't later on, find this place, to give back a bar tab given to all of us, after driving onto this bar like cabin, out in the middle of nowhere, then walking into this place, in astonishment thinking this just landed like something from out of the Twilit Zone! Nothing else anywhere around there, with no other customers, then with the bar tender/owner grinning at us, like knowing our surprise, with us coming on to this place out of the blue! He finally asked, what was our pleasure, when we all looked at one another, hoping one of us would possibly have enough money for at least one round, to help quench our thirst, from the long dusty trail! After ea. of us, pulling out our empty pockets to prove we ea. were stone broke, we embarrassingly asked instead, if we could at least walk through, out onto his deck, overlooking the most beautiful view, of the valley below, I've ever seen in my life! Then suddenly the bar keeper approached us, offering a free round, to each of us! that was, ''I swear'' the best tasting beer, I've ever swallared lol! We truly tried our best, after leaving camp for home, to find that place, without success, but vowed one day we would eventually happen back there, one day, gladly paying that guy/place for trusting us, for that great treat, which he never even asked us to repay! That now was so long ago, I just wonder If its still even there anymore, but I keep look'en! If I had to guess, thinking back to its approximate location, I would have to say, it might have been inside the Meadows area, somewhere. Sound familiar, to anyone, from the description? Great cold beer!!

Old 08-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always have money in my wallet with my ID and proof of insurance etc., but keeping my wallet in my pocket when I ride wasn't always easy. I was riding around Bull Gap trail by myself one day when I stopped at an intersection to take a break. My wallet wasn't in my pocket when I got off my ATV and I didn't even know it fell out. Luckily I saw it sitting on one of the floorboards while I was walking around. I usually get off and on from the left side, and it was laying there on the right side where I wouldn't see it when I got back on. From then on I started putting my wallet in my cargo box. My half pound key ring too if I take all my keys with me. If I only had foot pegs instead of floorboards, my wallet would probably still be buried among the whoops on the A trail.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Still looking for buddy/friend to ride with, preferably over 50, to have more in common, but I keep up with the grand kids, too! lol I can buddy up with the slowest guy in the pack, or pass anything on the trails, and everything in between, as long as I'm up north camping in the great outdoors! without smelling a moldy old camper, stored in moth ***** all year! lol, cooking on open fire, trail riding, eating out at local diners, etc. etc. Doesn't matter as long as i'm out of dodge here in the city, and eating great northern sand, is fine with me!! I'm an early riser, but ok w/ your schedule to sleep in, is OK too! I'll be making a fire, and putting on the fresh brewed coffee!! Don't get me started here, I'll head up alone, here pretty soon if waiting much longer! lol
If this ain't you, tell a friend, just sitting around starring at the walls, giving up on ever riding again, and have him get in touch, asap!! Still a few great weeks ahead, but time is definitely, not on our side!! We can sit on our duffs all winter, but not now!!
Gladly! share equally with the entire trip, as always! Got van & trailer if needed. thanks Steve

Old 08-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you from? I see you said you were 4 1/2 hour drive from St. Helens. We’ve got to be close. I’m from the north east corner of Indiana. 4 hr form st. Helen. I tend to go to a lot of different places thThroughout the year but go north at least a few times each year. If you like PM me. I might meet up with you for a ride some time.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

I won't mention the city, but your not far from the cottage the parents owned n of Wolcottville on Oliver lk., where they retired back in the 90's. Would head over to (i know, you know this place) The Original Fish of Stroh on every trip out there, for the best tasting fish ever! Been thinking lately, about heading back there with the family, to revisit the great places around there, like Shipshewana, Amish buggies, and their many yard sales lol, and if for no other reason, just a great trip, along the way! Great place to raise a family!
Big corn country! lol
We gotta do a ride together, real soon! Thanks for the offer, Steve