General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Lithium Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lithium Batteries

Wondering if anyone has changed out their lead acid battery with a lithium battery? Looking at the Antigravity line with the restart feature. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:20 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never even looked into lithium batteries before. EarthX makes a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery for my quad that costs $349.00. That's 5 bucks more than I just paid to have 4 brand new tires delivered to my house. In other words, WAY out of my price range! But it sounds like a great battery. It has an integrated battery management system so you can't overcharge it or overdischarge it. And it has built in cell balancing technology, short circuit protection up to 1,000 amps, excessive cranking protection, and a 2 year full coverage warranty. They're up to 80% lighter than a lead-acid battery, charge 2-3 times faster, put out higher voltage for better starting, and discharge slower. They'll never sulfate, corrode, freeze, boil over, need water, or spill acid. If they didn't cost so much I'd get one, and I don't even need a new battery!

Old 08-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across Antigravity Lithium batteries for $100-180 for our quads. Just have never heard of this brand. Hoping to hear some good feedback to help me device if it's worth it.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

They also have a down side to them. They loose power rapidly in very cold conditions, they can explode like a bomb if shorted out and they burn white hot if they catch fire from an accident. They also require a special charger which are not cheap. I have many years experience with these types of batteries. They can be an excellent source of power for certain things, I would never consider an atv or any other off road vehicle as a good use for these type of batteries. Your best bet is a sealed agm battery for offroad!

Old 08-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are starting to use them in some RV applications, and in that setting they can be up to a $4000 option.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
They also have a down side to them. They loose power rapidly in very cold conditions, they can explode like a bomb if shorted out and they burn white hot if they catch fire from an accident. They also require a special charger which are not cheap. I have many years experience with these types of batteries. They can be an excellent source of power for certain things, I would never consider an atv or any other off road vehicle as a good use for these type of batteries. Your best bet is a sealed agm battery for offroad!
The newer battery over the last few years have the charge circuit in them other wise you would have to change the bike charging system as well..

Old 08-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Zrock
The newer battery over the last few years have the charge circuit in them other wise you would have to change the bike charging system as well..
I was going to ask him how many years of experience he had with the new batteries that have the battery management system built in; cell balancing technology, short circuit protection, etc. But the way I almost posted would probably have made me sound like a real dick, so I didn't click reply. New battery technology just isn't like it was in the old days.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

The new style batteries are far superior to those made just a few years back. However the new technology is also more expensive! Vottom line is...is it worth 3-4x the price? No matter if they have all the latest safety guards in place, they are still a bomb if crushwd or involved in a fire! Lokk at the number of lawsuits filed for deaths and serious injury from issues with electric autos and there exploding batteries and fires. Lipo vatteries are superior batteries when used in proper applications, however I would never use them in any type of offroad vehicle. To many opportunities for serious damage, that alone is the weak spot for lipo batteries..

Old 08-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Moto Psycho

To me they aren't worth the price, but a maintenance free battery is.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
To me they aren't worth the price, but a maintenance free battery is.
I'll second that!!

Quick Reply: Lithium Batteries