General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Pretty much anything u do the gov is going to get involved at some point if u like it or not.. better off to get them involved first then after when they are giving u a fine for disturbing fish habitat

Old 10-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
Pretty much anything u do the gov is going to get involved at some point if u like it or not.. better off to get them involved first then after when they are giving u a fine for disturbing fish habitat
That's why I want something temporary. If I leave it there all the time, the government will see it and give me a fine. If I just put it up a few times a year when I use the land, then take it down, I don't expect them to notice or care.

The land is only worth about 10,000, I don't want to spend 20,000+ on permits, environmental studies and digging a culvert for a 10K property. It also has cliffs etc that make it unsuitable for a house. It's just for ATVing, hunting, camping, etc.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MapleNeil
That's why I want something temporary. If I leave it there all the time, the government will see it and give me a fine. If I just put it up a few times a year when I use the land, then take it down, I don't expect them to notice or care.
The land is only worth about 10,000, I don't want to spend 20,000+ on permits, environmental studies and digging a culvert for a 10K property. It also has cliffs etc that make it unsuitable for a house. It's just for ATVing, hunting, camping, etc.
Where is this located?

Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Where is this? I was of the understanding that land cannot be sold without a access right of way in place.
Ontario, Canada.

Here's an example, you can buy 10 acres miles from the nearest road
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/V...o-K0L1P0#v=dir

Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MapleNeil
Ontario, Canada.
Here's an example, you can buy 10 acres miles from the nearest road
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/V...o-K0L1P0#v=dir
Kinda figured it was somewhere up there.
I was looking at engineered lumber (normally used internal to structures (enclosed) ) it's quite pricey and heavy. A 18 to 20ft span will easily hit 200lbs for each beam, depending of course on the height of the beam. Steel will break 400lbs. Add in your cross planks and (for me) the cost / time do not equal easy. Especially if your looking for a sturdy enough structure to drive a vehicle across. You stated the government will see it and give you a fine? Are they inspecting your property and the creek regularly? Is the property on both sides of the creek yours?

Old 10-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Kinda figured it was somewhere up there.
I was looking at engineered lumber (normally used internal to structures (enclosed) ) it's quite pricey and heavy. A 18 to 20ft span will easily hit 200lbs depending of course on the height of the beam. Steel will break 400lbs. Add in your cross planks and (for me) the cost / time do not equal easy. Especially if your looking for a sturdy enough structure to drive a vehicle across. You stated the government will see it and give you a fine? Are they inspecting your property and the creek regularly? Is the property on both sides of the creek yours?
The creek and both banks are in the right-of-way of the road/trail. It's a former railroad bed that was turned into a recreational trail, with ATV's, cars and trucks and snowmobiles allowed.
Here's what two neighbours did, I suppose if they can get away with it maybe I can too.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Old 10-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard mixed stories in US about easements and what they have to give you.

also there are still places with little law.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just have the wrong kind of off-road vehicle. You need a smaller version of this.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Big Frank
You just have the wrong kind of off-road vehicle. You need a smaller version of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r33ReDa82gE

Quick Reply: DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble