General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble

I'm designing an extremely temporary ATV bridge over a creek on my property. I want to make it so that I can assemble it in less than an hour when I need it, then take it apart when I'm done.
This is to avoid liability issues with other people using the bridge, and to prevent people from crossing the bridge onto my land. And to avoid needing a permit for a bridge.
The span at the top of the creek banks is 15ft. The banks are about 3ft high and the water is about 2ft deep in the middle.

I want to use four 3-inch 18-foot IBeams. These would weigh about 100lbs each so I could lift them and put them in place without machinery. Each side would just be a plank bolted to two I beams. Basically two independant reinforced planks lying on the dirt on one side and gravel on the other side. Or maybe if necessary a small concrete pad on either side with bolts to lock the ends in place.

Is this completely crazy and dangerous? How about using it to drive my car over?

The creek, with a 14-ft plank in it

Thanks,
Neil

Last edited by MapleNeil; 10-01-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may sound like a stupid question, but that's never stopped me before. Can you go around, and how much time and effort would it take compared to putting up a bridge and taking it back down? I only think you're crazy if you try driving your car across.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you are going to find that will be more work than its worth.. A 18ft I beam is going to be heavy to move no matter how you look at it. Id be worried about it bending in the middle since it is only 3 inch. I would rather pull a permit and just but locked gates at each end.. Or put a culvert in and some fill and make it permanent.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a draw bridge that raises to your side?
Seriously though, I agree with Zrock. Too much trouble/work.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:10 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex G.
How about a draw bridge that raises to your side?
Seriously though, I agree with Zrock. Too much trouble/work.
Yep.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Big Frank
This may sound like a stupid question, but that's never stopped me before. Can you go around, and how much time and effort would it take compared to putting up a bridge and taking it back down? I only think you're crazy if you try driving your car across.
No, there isn't a way to go around. I got this land really cheap in a tax sale, for this particular reason, that you have to wade through a creek to get to it. I doubt they will approve a proper culvert or bridge. There are spots I could just ATV across the creek bed to get in but of course that would never work with a car, and isn't good for the environment. (There are actually some little fish in this creek).

Old 10-04-2018, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

What about ramps in and out of creek? My creeks are not deep, just high sides.

might not be legal, but could also cut the banks down and put some rock in.

but I understand about how some times you only got one good spot to cross. Plus not all property has place for gate . Plus around you look like a putz if you have gate.

4 wheelers areally not that heavy, though it is wide span.

I don't really worry about people where I am at.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Their is no reason they would not approve a culvert that was done properly.. That is going to be the cheapest way to go about it and make it safe for a veh to pass over.. Fish will still be able to use the creek and would probably drastically increase property value if you ever went to sell again.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer

Then you got to get government involved. I woildnt, but that's me. Not denying would increase value.

what about leaving it on far side and pulling across? Though would need to rig so wouldn't drop nose down.

if not to deep I like ramps each side. Though have to walk across. Or just take some dirt out of banks.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MapleNeil
No, there isn't a way to go around. I got this land really cheap in a tax sale, for this particular reason, that you have to wade through a creek to get to it. I doubt they will approve a proper culvert or bridge. There are spots I could just ATV across the creek bed to get in but of course that would never work with a car, and isn't good for the environment. (There are actually some little fish in this creek).
Where is this? I was of the understanding that land cannot be sold without a access right of way in place.

Quick Reply: DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble