General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Trail essential gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I only go to my camp, which has point well. I do romantic dreams of hunting out of a camper someday, but I like my toilet and bed these day.

Actually what I think I should get is some time of purifier, both my house and camp have a creak. You are right we use lots of water.

I have water back sports drinks. The flavors sometimes get you to drink more. Try a little vodka.

I like my toilet, shower and bed too.

I can't remember the last time I slept in a tent or took a ride that I didn't return to my base camp or another town was our end of day destination.

Amazon Amazon

I use these reusable gel ice packs in my coolers. They freeze over night and they claim they are colder than ice.

I take a nice lunch that I put in the hard cooler on the left in my trunk and either iced tea or Gatorade in the other hard cooler.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:50 AM
THE BERMINATOR

I only got the bigger stoves because they were on sale and thought they would be even better than the little ones. Both sizes are actually made for Esbit fuel tablets and they made small boxes of them that would fit inside the stove when it's folded up.

I made some accessories for my stoves. I have a little plate cut out of heavy sheet metal and I can close the stove partway like in the video to hold it in place, and it makes a nice flat surface to put something small like a can on. It has a tab on each side that goes between, and out past, the fingers on the stove and it can't slide out in any direction. I drilled a bunch of holes in it so the heat and flames go through it like it's not even there. When I'm done, I open the stove up farther, take the grate I made out, turn it sideways, and put it inside the stove when I fold it up. I should take a couple of pictures of it. The other thing I have is a piece of heavy sheet metal that goes over the top when the stove is fully open. It was the side of of one of those personal size ceramic space heaters people put by a desk or wherever they want more heat. The piece I cut off it hangs over the ends of the stove so it won't come off either. I drilled a bunch of holes in that too and I used it when I cooked in a pot. It's a lot nicer having a big flat surface to set the pot on instead of just the little fingers on each side of the stove. I think the metal for the other one came off that space heater too. It was just a rectangular box of steel before I started cutting it up.

The stoves have indentations inside the bottom where you're supposed to set the Esbit hexamine fuel and there are holes around them. Since I use the bigger trioxane bars they sit on top of the holes and sometimes a bit of residue from the burning bars would drip right through the bottom. I decided I needed to put some sheet metal across the bottom to cover the holes. I just wanted something thin and light and didn't know where to get a piece like that. So I cut a big rectangle out of an empty spray paint can and after I got it flattened out I POP-riveted it in place inside the bottom of the stove. No more hot goo dripping out.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

My friend made this shelf that fits the back of his Arctic Cat.

If we cook out on the trails this is the stoves that we have.
We both have one so we can cook lot of food.
So far they have worked out pretty good.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

If you use a military canteen cup (very useful piece of gear if you have never used one) you can also get the little "stove" for it so that you can use the trioxane tablets with it.

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-4086429...over-set-3.gif

I prefer an actual stove. My Coleman Peak One Apex will be my stove till it dies. Then I'll probably replace it with a MSR Whisperlite.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:04 AM
THE BERMINATOR

I like those canteen cups but think I only used my stove once. In an emergency it's better than nothing. When you're done cooking fold the handles on the cup, put the canteen in, slide the stove on the bottom, and put the whole thing in the carrier. That way there's only one thing to carry, not counting fuel tabs. The little pocket on the canteen carrier is for a bottle of water purification pills, but MRE toilet paper will also fit. I only used that kind of T.P. if I was desperate. I actually gave a whole bunch of that, and MRE matches, to my friends earlier this year for starting fires.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

I got my little stove now I need to find a cup for it.

Doubt that I'll ever use it but it sure is cute.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:37 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Millions of people have been using the Esbit stoves and knockoffs for 82 years. As this guy points out there's nothing to go wrong with them. I didn't watch the whole video yet but he has the small Esbit stove and the large one too. I found a website that says the large one weighs 12.7 oz. and folds to 5.20" x 3.78" x 1.54" when closed. My no-name stoves are bigger but thinner at 6" x 4.5" x 1", and don't weigh very much. They have 2 places to put the fuel tablets side by side about an inch apart, instead of one big spot in the middle. The grill I made for them from part of an electric heater is a little bit shy of 6" and fits on snug so it can't move. My 2-quart saucepan is almost 7" wide and works great with it. It still has 1/4" diameter circles burned onto the bottom from cooking with it when I was camping.

P.S. It turns out I didn't give my friends all of my trioxane fuel tabs. I kept 5 boxes for myself. It's been so long since I used them that I was kind of surprised when I opened the box with my stoves and some other stuff in it and saw them.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

I seriously doubt that I will ever use mine, Not sure why I even bought it. LOL

I always pack a lunch that fits in one of my little coolers. If its cold outside I have a nice thermos that holds a nice size can of hot soup.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:53 PM
THE BERMINATOR

If you want something to stay hot a long time in your thermos, fill it with boiling water while you're cooking your soup or making your coffee. Them dump it out and fill your hot thermos with the hot liquid of your choice. If you don't already do that, you'll thank me when it gets really cold out. Statistically January is the coldest month here, and the only month when the average high temperature is below freezing (30 degrees). February is the second coldest, worse than December day and night.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I do pre-heat the thermos.

The average Jan temp here runs between 32 and 43 according to google.

We've had two really light winters in a row. I'm hoping for more snow this year. We really need it.

Quick Reply: Trail essential gear