General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

A lot to be Thankful for!

Old 11-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The width wouldn't be an issue I don't think for us because we have so many places that snowmobiles can go. but I do agree used snowmobiles can be picked up for half the price of a set of tracks I bought a used Polaris RMK 600 with about 1200 miles on it for 1900 bucks last year. Seems to be in great shape contemplating picking up another one so wife and I don't have to ride double if we don't want to. I can't believe the price of new sleds, the new Ski-Doos around here start that about 15,000 and go up. Beautiful machines certainly cannot justify the cost. Our ATV's and Snowmobiles have a 1 time permanent registration fee as long as we own the machine so I am pretty sure there is no additional fee whether we put tracks on them or not. We just have to use the machine in the designated areas allowed for that type of machine. There are guys out here that put a ski and single track on Motorcycles and they ride all the areas that snowmobiles ride, in fact they go far more place than the sleds do and I haven't seen anything but the permanent license plate on the bike.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I owned a snowmobile I would have died a long time ago. Same reason I don't ride motorcycles.

A friend of mine bought a set of tracks for his 850 Sportsman XP. He told me they're not all they're cracked up to be.

I'd buy a snowmobile long before spending money on a set of tracks.

We actually have a lot of places out here to ride your ATV in the winter.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

Spoiled!!!! That's great, good for you. We May have more than I know, am going to do some research and exploring this winter to see how much BLM land is available.
I've often wondered about the tracks because I see so many sets of them for sale in our neck of the woods. It appears that people have high expectations of them and probably don't perform as they hope. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on them and they seem to work fairly well, but there's still something that nags at me about spending the dollars. Probably better off to just buy another sled. Working on a deal right now to hopefully pick up a little bigger trailer that will allow me to haul my to Can-Am the facing frontwards side by side, and also to be able to haul two sleds. The trailer I have now is strictly for ATVs and almost too small for that. I can fit both of them sideways as it is 9 feet long, but the width is sketchy to say the least. I have to pull the front wheels of the 2 up upon to the outside rail to get my ramps out from underneath the rear tires. It is also a bit of a lightweight trailer which I think was made strictly for two single sized four wheelers. Going to keep scouring Craigslist for another possible sled. Who knows my research may warrant a midwinter trip down south. if that would not be too much of an imposition, I may be in touch.FF

Old 11-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty lucky to live where I do for sure. It really is ATV Heaven. Utah is a very OHV and gun friendly state.

Here's my ATV trailer. I bought new it back in 2004. Its been an excellent trailer for me.

Its pretty much for 2 ATVs only. This was the day I picked up my new Brute Force back in 2014.

I road a fairly new Polaris 660(?) sled last year. I'd kill myself on one if it were mine.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:45 PM
THE BERMINATOR

There are snowmobiles with a power/weight ratio around 10 times what my ATV has. It would be a miracle if I survived a whole winter intact if I had something like that. The guy I always ride with snowmobiles in the winter, when he can find enough snow. One time he was on a snowmobile trip with some other guys and when they got back to the hotel they stayed at one guy was missing. He was wrapped around a tree and his body was cold by the time anyone found him.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

Frank,
That is An extremely sad story. That is one reason my wife and I don't normally go riding by ourselves, usually go with as least one other couple especially pin trails we've never been on before. If we do go alone it's not pin a very technical trail, I think we've only been on 4 rides where it's been just the two of us in the 4 years we've been riding. Even then we try to each have a machine in case Pointe of us needs to ride out for help. I can't imagine losing a member of a group like that. We try to stick together no matter what we're riding. That just had to be a sickening feeling when they realized he wasn't there.
Slow and easy is my motto. Maybe that's why we don't necessarily cover very many miles in a day.

Specta,
Nice trailer, I looked at that type of trailer, when we bought our first two ATV's, more money than I had at the time, but always thought that would be the ticket. The only issue for me is with having a snowmobile and possibly picking up another one that type of trailer wouldn't work for me. Need to have a snowmobile trailer with Aston 8x8 deck minimum. Working on making a trade with a friend, either that or selling mine aims buying hers, it has a 8x10 deck, with a shield on the front, only thing I don't like is it has the smaller tires under the deck. If I end up getting it I will look into putting a different axle on it , it will make it taller but more road worthy for longer distances if it had taller wheels and tires. We'll see, I think she will sell it to me for whatever I can get out of my trailer. I made some asides for mine so it doubles as a utility trailer as well.

I have read that Utah is veryATV/UTV friendly, and..... being further south allows for riding throughout the year. Our altitude and being further North just limits our riding time frame due to the amount of snow we get. Unless of course we travel out of our area to ride, which we haven't done yet.
I know Wyoming and Colorado sell a yearly trail pass for out of state riders, does Utah puffer the same option? And do you as a resident have to buy a yearly sticker or license? And is that something but in January and is good through December? Here in Montana we are able to buy a permanent plate and permanent trail sticker for as long as we own the ATV/UTV, and are allowed to ride on all streets, highways, and county roads as long as we have headlights, taillights, brake light, horn, and atleast one mirror. At least in our county. I will do a bit of research and check it out.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

My four daughters are what I'm most thankful for.

Long story on the Grouch Marx glasses. These two are amazing people who helped kill the cancer that had attacked me.
Dr Grossmann and his APRN Carolyn - I love her tons.

When I got the snowcat stuck last year they came out to get me on snowmobiles and we sunk one of them in the snow trying to get it turned around. It took over 1/2 hr to get it back on top - it SUCKED!!!

If you get stranded on your ATV its never going be as serious as getting stranded on a snowmobile.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

Yep been there and it is not fun to be stuck, Lots of work to get those 500 lb. machines out of a powdery snow hole.

The ladies love to ride, not so willing to help dig out.

The drift on this trail was easily 6 ft deep, I think we worked on this for almost an hour to get it turned around.

So you think she dug herself out? Whatever! This is our dear friend Julie who has Appendiceal cancer, they found another lump in an oblique muscle in her abdomen this summer, the treatment didn't help. She is waiting to see if/when it is going to advance. But has decided she is done with treatments. She is an amazing woman this is really going to be tough. She did however ask us at church last weekend if our machine was ready because she is. She is truly unbelievable.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Freedomflyer
So you think she dug herself out? Whatever! This is our dear friend Julie who has Appendiceal cancer, they found another lump in an oblique muscle in her abdomen this summer, the treatment didn't help. She is waiting to see if/when it is going to advance. But has decided she is done with treatments. She is an amazing woman this is really going to be tough. She did however ask us at church last weekend if our machine was ready because she is. She is truly unbelievable.
I'm truly sorry to hear this.

Cancer sucks. It has change both me and my life forever.

I had a very aggressive advanced stage IV metastatic melanoma. Skin (over 14 different tumors), brain, lung, rib, pelvis, left adrenal gland removed, cancer in my abdomen and stomach muscles. 7 years, 80+ doctor visits, clinical trials - two that have since become FDA approved treatments, 4 different types of chemo treatments, radiation treatments, 3 surgeries, brain MRIs and ct-scans nearly every 12 weeks for 5 years. My appointments are 400 miles round trips so over 30,000 miles traveled.

I still travel to the Huntsman Cancer Institute and do volunteer work every other week at the hospital. This is the greatest job that I have ever had.

I have been cancer free since Sept 26th 2017. I am incapable of truly expressing my gratitude for everything that they have done for me.

For me it has been a truly amazing journey.

I wish nothing but the very best for your friend Julie.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Freedomflyer

I have read that Utah is veryATV/UTV friendly, and..... being further south allows for riding throughout the year. Our altitude and being further North just limits our riding time frame due to the amount of snow we get. Unless of course we travel out of our area to ride, which we haven't done yet.
I know Wyoming and Colorado sell a yearly trail pass for out of state riders, does Utah puffer the same option? And do you as a resident have to buy a yearly sticker or license? And is that something but in January and is good through December? Here in Montana we are able to buy a permanent plate and permanent trail sticker for as long as we own the ATV/UTV, and are allowed to ride on all streets, highways, and county roads as long as we have headlights, taillights, brake light, horn, and at least one mirror. At least in our county. I will do a bit of research and check it out.
Here's a link to a lot of registration info. I do register mine every year - it costs me around $60. They are generally due the month you bought your machine. Close to $20 of that goes directly into the states OHV fund including search and rescue. So does a portion of out of state permits. Without looking I believe you wouldn't need a permit here in Utah.

If your machine is street legal in Utah no one under 16 or who doesn't have a valid drivers license can't ride or drive the machine.
Mines not street legal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A lot to be Thankful for!