ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   A lot to be Thankful for! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/377533-lot-thankful.html)

Freedomflyer 11-22-2018 11:34 AM

A lot to be Thankful for!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We were able to leave some cold weather back home and travel to South Dakota to share the holiday with my wife's family, roads were dry for the 500 mile drive and it is about 40 degrees warmer than home. Hope everyone has a great day with family and friends and can find something to be thankful for. FF

Big Frank 11-22-2018 06:58 PM

That must be your idea of heading south for the winter. :) I stayed away from my family this year. It's less stressful.

Freedomflyer 11-22-2018 10:13 PM

It was less stressful, I went to my in-laws and stayed away from my family Lol. much easier to get along with sometimes. I think it's waa aay easier at least I know What I'm getting into not so much with my family.

Specta 11-24-2018 06:31 PM

I get along GREAT with my family and don't have any in-laws to deal with.

Had dinner with one of my daughter's family's who moved closer to me back in May. It was very enjoyable.

It is a time to be grateful. I am grateful for my family, 4 beautiful daughters and 13 awesome grandkids.

2nd cancer free Thanksgiving in a row. :D

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

MooseHenden 11-26-2018 05:15 PM

We had family over for Thanksgiving at our new to us house in Nottingham, NH. All the fixings, with family around swapping stories and ideas for future plans. Nice and peaceful.

Just before Thanksgiving I got a return call from the NH State Parks. They said that Pawtuckaway State Park is open to quads once there is enough snow and it is below freezing. I live right above Pawtuckaway Lake, so once it freezes over I can ride from my back door, out our lake access, across the lake, and into the park! Judging from 2 snowstorms in the week before Thanksgiving, I think we'll have a pretty good winter here and lots of time to ride. Can't wait.

Big Frank 11-26-2018 06:10 PM

It must be nice. Is there a Sheriff of Nottingham?

MooseHenden 11-27-2018 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Big Frank (Post 3408019)
It must be nice. Is there a Sheriff of Nottingham?

Yes, yes, there is. Fortunately, he isn't the tax collector too. Bunch of the street names reflect the Robin Hood theme. Arrow, bow, Robin, etc. Funny thing is, my younger brother bought a vacation house in Canterbury, NH. Definitely got an English town thing going here.

Freedomflyer 11-27-2018 03:32 PM

That would really be nice to be able to have a place to ride our ATVs in the winter. Unfortunately there are a lot of tree huggers here, and a lot of the areas that we were able to take motorized vehicles into during the winter months have now been closed down. Lot of people cross country skiing, snowshoeing and hiking. One of the places we used to go is the reservoir that I had last posted some pictures of. We used to ride snowmobiles up there and go snow camping, now all of that is shut off during the winter to snowmobiles and is ooen only to cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Part of our problem is our snow gets so deep here and stays so cold that it is just powdery and we wouldn't be able to run are four-wheelers on it unless we had tracks, not quite there yet money-wise. That is a lot of cash to be sitting around for half the year, but I guess if it worked halfway decent we could get rid of the snowmobile and run the four-wheelers all year long. most of our trails have 5 to 10 ft of snow on them over the winter, they get packed down some but if you were to get a wheel off to the side where it wasn't packed you would be in big trouble. I think it would be fun to try a machine with tracks on it just to see how well it worked before I would take the plunge. It's bad enough getting a snowmobile unstuck, I can't imagine trying to get a quad out that was buried.
Take lots of pics Moose and share with the rest of us that will be waiting for the snow to melt, LOL.

MooseHenden 11-27-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Freedomflyer (Post 3408099)
That would really be nice to be able to have a place to ride our ATVs in the winter. Unfortunately there are a lot of tree huggers here, and a lot of the areas that we were able to take motorized vehicles into during the winter months have now been closed down. Lot of people cross country skiing, snowshoeing and hiking. One of the places we used to go is the reservoir that I had last posted some pictures of. We used to ride snowmobiles up there and go snow camping, now all of that is shut off during the winter to snowmobiles and is ooen only to cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Part of our problem is our snow gets so deep here and stays so cold that it is just powdery and we wouldn't be able to run are four-wheelers on it unless we had tracks, not quite there yet money-wise. That is a lot of cash to be sitting around for half the year, but I guess if it worked halfway decent we could get rid of the snowmobile and run the four-wheelers all year long. most of our trails have 5 to 10 ft of snow on them over the winter, they get packed down some but if you were to get a wheel off to the side where it wasn't packed you would be in big trouble. I think it would be fun to try a machine with tracks on it just to see how well it worked before I would take the plunge. It's bad enough getting a snowmobile unstuck, I can't imagine trying to get a quad out that was buried.
Take lots of pics Moose and share with the rest of us that will be waiting for the snow to melt, LOL.

We generally are allowed to ride on groomed trails in a few areas. Pawtuckaway is one of them. Over the years we've had a blast on winter trails. As said, if you get sucked off the groomed trail by a rut you can be in real deep. Deepest I've been is about 4 ft. deep after a rut caught one of my tires. Winches and snatch blocks are a must. You're not going to lift a 4wd utility machine out of deep snow. If we put tracks on ATV's we have to register them as snowmobiles here in NH. Not sure about VT or ME. That, and the price of the tracks has me thinking about a used snowmobile at some point.

Big Frank 11-27-2018 06:14 PM

A used snowmobile can be had for less than the cost of a new set of tracks. That and a lack of places to ride kept me from buying tracks. Some of the snowmobile trails here allow ATVs too but most don't. We have to stay on our own trails, most of which an ATV with tracks on it won't even fit. Snowmobilers are supposed to stay on their own tracks but don't. One winter when I was riding an ATV/motorcycle trail I came head to head with a bunch of people on snowmobiles. Of course I was the one who had to get far enough off the trail I belonged on for them to get by when they never should have been there in the first place. :mad: I don't remember if they helped me get back on the trail or if I had to winch myself out once they were past.