General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys should we take the plows off now? Or would that bring us bad luck, possibly waking up to 2' of snow? I'm so confused I still want 2' snow to plow, but really want to rip the trails again too!

Old 03-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

I snuck in here, back in the 80's, one of the first to take a chance to ride there, after seeing it from I75 while passing by many times with quads loaded, heading up north, when it was a gravel pit, behind Mt Holly.

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/news...ZISGxeCayS-67Q

Old 03-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Set a fan on top of all that ice and blow the cold into your house and save electricity on air conditioning! Fill the back of that van with ice on hot summer days! The old underground ice house near Sandusky is still there. Not usuable anymore of course but I went to see it in my much younger days. A large cavern underground with walls of straw about 4 ft thick. It would keep ice for a full year and then some to feed peoples old refriderators ice all year round. When my dad was a young man he delivered ice thru one summer to make some money.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:57 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The region's first ORV park" is a 25 mile drive from The Mounds ORV Park. Isn't that in the same region?

A guy at work had a foreign exchange student from Russia staying with him. Maybe from a sister city. She told him how blocks of milk were frozen and covered with sawdust for insulation in an ice house. When someone needed milk one of the workers would sweep off a block and cut it into smaller blocks.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

It snowed here today, real heave a few times, with very strong winds, blowing sideways, the lite pea sized snow pellets, causing white outs, covering the ground in just minutes, then melted soon afterwords. Winds so strong they knocked me off balance quite often, while trying to do yard work, making me look like I was hitting the bottle, way too early in the day lol

Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

The park is on the back side of mt Holly ski resort, seen from the e side of 75.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 PM
THE BERMINATOR

The snow here made the roof of my truck look like it had little polka dots. I think it was round ***** too but 1/8" or less.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I see that 65mph wind we had the other week blew the compressor on my windmill for my pond. First compressor lasted 15+years, just replaced it last summer. Not sure I want to drop another 1000 bucks in a replacemet if it is going to go out that fast. Looking into electric aeration pumps so the high winds we have been getting wont effect it. Electric pumps are 1/4 the cost of a windmill pump. Repairs never seem to stop!!

Old 03-23-2019, 12:02 AM
THE BERMINATOR

That sucks. The big windmills for generating electricity can turn the blades so the wind blows straight over them, plus they have brakes. I'm guessing your windmill didn't have brakes and it spun too fast. That can burn up bearings and start fires among other problems, but you can buy brakes to put on some windmills. I don't know if it's worth it or not when you can get an electric aerator so much cheaper.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider

These small pond pumps I use, last forever even the one that failed yesterday was still fixable. I always keep 2-3 going around the clock with our 3 ponds, and a few of them are 30+ yrs old! You could get by with a smaller unit like mine, as long as its moving the water to keep a small hole in the ice from freezing, plus I use bubblers /aerators that help too. We had neighbors that would let their small pond freeze over every year, and never lost a fish.

Quick Reply: MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50