General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:01 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They had a couple of tow trucks at work with propane-powered 454 Chevy big blocks. I was going to say they sounded quieter than gas-powered 454s but I think they had bigger mufflers on them than anything street legal, and I was wearing earplugs most of the time.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Propane and gas gens make the same amount of noise.
That is what I was telling 4tracker, even with propane there is still a small engine running to make electricity. Propane burns cleaner and doesnt smell as bad but stiil makes noise!

Old 04-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If'n you want a quiet gen then you'll need to get one of those EXPENSIVE 2000 watt inverter/generators.Their awesome machines but definitely don't power much AND garner a more expensive price tag. A portable solar set up would be the appreciated if'n you want quiet.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:58 PM
THE BERMINATOR

If the whole top of the van was covered with solar cells it might make enough electricity to keep some batteries charged enough to run one of those little heaters that some people put under their desk. You would need an inverter too unless someone makes tiny 12 volt heaters, and I think they do.

Just put a propane heater inside and seal up the doors airtight. <--- Turning blue. Maybe I shouldn't joke about that because some people have done things like that.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Solar set up means the whole shebang Frank..Including the inverter. Dont underestimate solar systems nowadays. Besides a heater runs on propane. The lights and whatnot run on lectricity.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:06 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I was thinking about a non-portable solar array fastened to the roof so it's charging at home, while driving to and from the trails, stores and restaurants, or even taking a siesta after lunch. And also an electric heater so it never has to be vented or need any maintenance other than blowing the dust out each fall. I think some of the small cubes are about 1000 watts but could be wrong. And I don't know if I can underestimate solar unless it's a lot better than it was just a few years ago. It would take a lot of the older solar panels to run an electric heater.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not this one, quiet as a kittens purr, all night long! lol

Old 04-29-2019, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Big Frank
I was thinking about a non-portable solar array fastened to the roof so it's charging at home, while driving to and from the trails, stores and restaurants, or even taking a siesta after lunch. And also an electric heater so it never has to be vented or need any maintenance other than blowing the dust out each fall. I think some of the small cubes are about 1000 watts but could be wrong. And I don't know if I can underestimate solar unless it's a lot better than it was just a few years ago. It would take a lot of the older solar panels to run an electric heater.
Now you CAN do it that way, but I'd rather not have anything permanently attached to my roof (laying flat) that could be damaged by a falling limb while at the campsite. I'd rather just pull a set of panels out of the back of the camper. A battery or set of batteries can be charged up at home before leaving or you could even just wire it up to your camper alternator to charge while driving. A simple A/B switch can isolate the camping battery(s) when your set up and plugged into the panels. It's kind of simple if you really think about it cause all the lights and phone chargers in the camper(van) all run off of 12vdc anyway. And they make string lights that are 12v so if you really need a lot of lighting. Also unless your running a window A/C unit an inverter will not be needed. But a bit more in depth, a fully discharged 100AH battery will take approximately 15hrs to recharge using a 100watt solar panel. So if you ARE running a window AC then a smelly, noisy generator is the way to go. It's just a thought because a ready make solar kit (minus the inverter and battery) can be bought for $150 USD. Even with a good inverter and battery is will be ALOT less $$, noise and smell than a generator.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Depending on how long your going to stay a couple ( 2 ) good deep cycle batteries will last for days supplying 12v power for a couple lights, phone charger, even running the fan on a propane heater etc. I have 2 deep cycle batteries in my motorhome that can last for 2-3 days with ease running lights, water pump, fan on furnace, 12v TV, etc. We are going to convert all out interior lights to led this spring to use even less power. We spent 3 nights down south the fall before the last and had plenty of battery power with 5 people on board, we ran low on water long before the batteries went low. We only need 120v for A/C and for microwave, was to chilly for a/c but a quick start of the genny for the microwave, then shut it off after cooking was done. Don't think I would want the expense of clutter of messing with solar panels when a couple good deep cycle batteries will give you days of 12v power, along with a propane heater and even a cook stove is all you really need, they even make small portable propane water heaters if you need hot water. If not for the microwave we could go for a long time on battery power.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Depending on how long your going to stay a couple ( 2 ) good deep cycle batteries will last for days supplying 12v power for a couple lights, phone charger, even running the fan on a propane heater etc. I have 2 deep cycle batteries in my motorhome that can last for 2-3 days with ease running lights, water pump, fan on furnace, 12v TV, etc. We are going to convert all out interior lights to led this spring to use even less power. We spent 3 nights down south the fall before the last and had plenty of battery power with 5 people on board, we ran low on water long before the batteries went low. We only need 120v for A/C and for microwave, was to chilly for a/c but a quick start of the genny for the microwave, then shut it off after cooking was done. Don't think I would want the expense of clutter of messing with solar panels when a couple good deep cycle batteries will give you days of 12v power, along with a propane heater and even a cook stove is all you really need, they even make small portable propane water heaters if you need hot water. If not for the microwave we could go for a long time on battery power.
Agreed... just giving a different outlook and option is all.

Quick Reply: MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50