ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/377864-michigan-need-riding-friend-buddy-over-50-a.html)

Big Frank 06-04-2019 11:45 PM

Thanks! I've had great luck with Polaris ATVs for 22 years. The biggest problem I've had with them was people stealing them. But after I put wheel clamps on 2 wheels it made it too hard to steal. They couldn't just cut my lock or chain anymore.

4-tracker 06-10-2019 08:18 AM

Finally found a replacement for my heavy, rolly polly quad. Don't laugh, I can also use it in the garden....multi purpose vehicle!! lol
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...83ddd917d6.jpg

4-tracker 06-29-2019 08:59 AM

Got the recently bought Warrior 350 real clean, inside and out, and hopefully good n ready for the 4th, but its been a rough couple of weeks since bought, with first doing a deep heavy cleaning on it for a solid week....man it was packed thick with solid tar, grime, oil, mud, old grease, sand etc left on there, I'm soooo sure, since bought new in 2002! Then last week it suddenly started a hard backfiring into carb, no matter how many times I cleaned/adjusted carb, also suspecting valves, timing, coil, cdi, then on top of that!! a few days ago it died, unable to start, dead in the water lol causing me to test every electrical component on the beast, then with no results, I started pulling parts, taking them into shops testing them out, with little help, until I accidentally found a loose wire, coming from the pulse gen. while testing stator connection with multi meter, found a wire had pulled loose, hidden way up under the frame/plastic, under the seat, reconnected and it started right up, but still backfired, so finally out of frustration, after trying everything in the book, and you tube searching, for a solid week, 2 days ago, I got it out, and rode it hard, causing a lot of smoke to burn off around the head area, then suddenly it ran smooth, not a stutter! Apparently it burnt off all the heavy cleaners I used during the deep scrubbing/cleaning. Really had me ready to give up, several times!! but in the back of my mind I knew it was something I had done, since it was running great after I brought it home! Another thing I accidentally came across, was a stall/gulp as soon as I hit the throttle, then watched a you tube vid. suggesting it could be the accelerator pump, sure enough it had crusted up, not allowing the pump rod to pop all the way back up....cleaned it up and BAM no hesitation....instant shot of gas with every thump of the throttle into the mouth of the carb after the air filter, its been a tough couple of weeks, indeed! lol I'll be getting everything ready and loaded up, and hopefully get a good ride out of it, next weekend! Its gutsy now! Can't wait!! Predicting rain for the whole state all next week of 40%, but that will keep dust down, and in mid 80's, will feel good!
Still looking for another rider, to ride with me, while my kids blast off into space, on their new sxs 2 seater HOT Rocket lol

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...b92754e890.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...e43d8f8af6.png
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...46a64bbc77.png

Kymco 450i 06-29-2019 09:50 AM

Glad to see you dont give up, nice job of trouble shooting! That new little hot rod of yours should keep up with the kids new toy...just have to ride harder and faster, after all thats your way toride.

4-tracker 06-29-2019 10:27 AM

I hope I can hold up, it seems the older we get, the faster the kids find a way, to get going even faster lol We have it planned where I'll ride as long as I can , then grandson will trade places with me for the long trips, and I can ride for awhile with my son in the ROCKET!! Lord help me....either way, I'm going to get bruised up, from head to toe lol I thing its paybacks, for making the kids go up riding with me all those years....their out for blood lol I shouldn't be complaining, I've got a lot to be thankful for, while still being accepted by both my son and now my ''Grand''-Son, in a sport I truly live for, and now they have picked up that same fever, for camping and trail riding! Don't get any better than that!!

Kymco 450i 06-29-2019 11:22 AM

Should have kept the KQ , would have been much easier on the old body! If you ride very long on that fancy SxS, you might be lookin for one of those b4 summer is over. Take your rain gear, looks like rain thur thru sat up there!

4-tracker 06-29-2019 03:03 PM

That King Quad was trying to kill me, Was too top heavy, wanted to roll over like Rover, on top of me lol Don't miss that, but will miss the Cadillac ride, for sure! You ought to see me scooting through the woods with the kids, they can't keep up, with these quad rockets, I wish there were places around, closer to home, where you could just go out any time of the year with a NASCAR kind of winding/straight away's trails/tracks just for these faster racers, with jumps, quick turns, moguls, burms, just for a few hours, any time of the year, to get your, geek on, once in a while, we all need that from time to time, without having to drive hundreds of miles, burning tons of gas, many hours just to get there, then hours to return, when I would love to be able to design a track, like I have done many times around here, years ago, but not any more, too over built, everywhere! That would keep kids off streets, and out of trouble, and out of gangs, doing what kids should be doing, with adults riding with them, being a big brother, with so many kids now without dads, so lost, and getting into trouble! When our kids were starting out on quads, we would create trails/tracks like that, and do time trials, not only trying to beat someone else's time, but trying to beat your own. Back in the 80's we could ride for 5 sq miles just across the main rd here, now its filled in with condos, golf course, new homes, box stores. Vote for me next election, and I promise an atv track, within every city block lol

4-tracker 07-08-2019 09:44 AM

Well do you want the long version or longer version of our 4th of July, long weekend trip, to St Helen, either way you'll get a kick out of it all lol
HERE'S THE SHORT VERSION lol

DAY 1 Thur. 4th, Were all anxious to try out, for the first time, our recently bought new/used atv's. First things first, before the RIDE! We unloaded, then ran over to the dump for firewood, before it was all picked thru, with perfect sizes, and with plenty of perfect sized pcs for the long weekend, nice and dry wood too! Also got our sleeping quarters all set for that evening too, then got atv's all gassed up, ck tire press. etc.! Camp site was already filled to capacity, when we arrived! For my son/grandson, this was their first time out for trail riding in their new sxs, and we were soooo ready/anxious to tackle, with what ever was to come at us, from down the pike! I was still a little skeptical about my used sport quad, it sounded ok, lots of grunt, for an 03! We planed on the long way around to clear lk. for lunch, and both machines handled everything, flawlessly, with steep hill climbs, trail wash outs, very little flooding anywhere! perfect start to the day! After a great burger n beer, headed over to Ambrose lk, and the steep hill climbs near there, with most of it washed out, but still worth the trip, then headed over to Wagon Wheel play area, for some great reminiscing, then headed over to Rose City for gas. To my surprise I had only used .09 over a gal. after 4 hrs of riding, where my son used 5 gal, or $15. He clocked me at 70 mpr on some pretty rough trail conditions, where on open road pavement, I'm sure it would do well over that, and I was only in 5th gear, and still had another gear to go! lol I wasn't trying to break a worlds record, I really didn't know I was riding that fast, just trying to keep from being a burden to my kids having to follow gramps lol. We finished the trip going the long way back to camp down Heath rd/trail. As were pulling into camp, my son still wasn't tired, so he suggests heading over to Roscomon, to do a late day/night trip, possibly getting back way after dark....instead, I suggested staying closer to St Helen and do some night riding there, and call it a day! They don't realize how hard it is on the o'l bod. from those wicked trail whoops! While their setting back, all comfortable like, in their sport car, kind of vehicle/sxs! lol Next morning after a great breakfast, at St Helen's Hen House restaurant we ck our weather, and was forecasting storms after 2 pm, so we opted on doing a partial half trip on the Houghton lk trail, rout 6, which neither one of us had ever done before, and I had only tried a portion of it, way back in the 80's, nothing recent. I was anxious to also try out my new Garmin and VVmapping at the same time, but after getting over on the trails, I had a hard time trying to keep us on track, with the trail we were on, and trying to figuring out the direction it was attempting to take us on, so instead of so many stops and trying to read the map, we decided by this time, to head back to camp with wind/clouds picking up, suddenly! Then like clock work, the storm hit with a vengeance, right at 2, with very high winds, heavy rain, lighting! this started and stopped 3 times, within 2 hrs. with the last storm leaving 2'' deep flooding water, throughout the entire campground! Found out later on, many trees down in counties all around us, and on the trails we took! I'm still reading of storm damages up there, on different posts! On the third day, we decided to try again to make it to Houghton lk/Prudenville, by starting out real early, so as to have enough time to hopefully get back to camp before night fall. Trail wasn't too bad at first, until about 3/4 the way in, when the puddling/flooding became deeper and wider, with no way around, other than thru the ponds, until my sons sxs got into a very deep hole, possibly 3' deep, and nearly dumping it on its side. we tried everything we could do, with it going deeper with ea try, then we decided the only thing to do was to bring back my sons truck with its high lift kit installed! We figured I would go back to camp on my little sport quad lol, and bring back the pickup to help pull them out, and as I was about to leave, a monster sxs with a fellow rider, his wife and 2 kids, offered to try and pull it out, but first they had to tank thru the heavy woods there, in order to get behind the sxs in the best direction, as not to cause the sxs to roll over, even further. It worked....they saved the day, we insisted on offering cash for taking the time/effort to help and after refusing to accept it, we made him thanking him again, as they rode away. Great bunch of people, these mud thrilling seekers! lol Now my son is starting to freak out, as the flooded trail is getting worse, and suddenly, I look back, and he has booked on me, leaving me out there, on this small sporty quad....''alone'', with out as much as a wave good by, see ya! nothing! just gone!! I had to make a serious decision, whether to go on without even water, they took it all! and finish what we had planned to do, or let the trail get the best of me, I'm not a quitter, so I decided to try and do, like our pioneers did....go west old man, go west! and off I went, with another 5 miles to go, in some very deep waters, and at times so deep I had to get down in it and pull my quad thru! After getting directions from other riders, along the way, and the help from the Garmin that at that most needed place, worked great! I finally made it to Houghton lk. Fortunately I had thought to take my phone, and by this time, my so called looser kids lol had gotten back to camp, and to their phone, that they had forgot to take, and had left at camp! I told them to bring the pick up, to haul me back to camp, since there was NO WAY I was about to attempt on taking the chance of getting stuck going back the way I had come, with no help from my kids! with me chewing them out after they loaded me up all the way back, for running out on me! That night the town held their fireworks, right there in camp, on the airport runway, where we could set and watch comfortably, right from our camp site, with a huge camp fire! and with the best fireworks display I had ever seen in person! All in all, it was well worth the trip, had every kind of weather from hot n dry, storms, high winds, lighting, flooding, but also with many hours of the best weather for trail riding! Then on the last day very cool, with light rain, into the night, but with some good sleeping, while I heard you all down here, were suffering from the HEAT!! Next time head north my friend! Great trip, Great memories....but with extremely dirty quad n bod to bring back home lol! BADGE OF HONOR! lol
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...537b6fa824.png

Kymco 450i 07-08-2019 08:58 PM

Run off and leave Dad on the trail o fend for himself??? I would not be interested in riding with them again! We are planning an end of month trip with neighbor and son again. I know they stick together and watch each other. 70 mph ....ok, glad you didnt have a tire blow out or a deer or car pull in front of you....not my cup of tea! At the end of the day I prefer to be ready for another day..

greg74 07-09-2019 12:59 PM

I ride a lot alone but if I'm in a group, we always stick together. Running off and leaving someone behind is not the way to do it. I still like my King Quad but yes you can't ride it like a sport quad in the tight stuff. I do open it up every once in a while when I get on a long straight and flat stretch but not for long at at time. Its kinda hard on the engine to do that but I guess I'm getting to the age myself where I think a little about what might happen if I get a flat tire or something breaks at 60-65 mph. Or just simply come up on a washout or hole I didn't see ahead of time. Its got pretty good brakes but not that good. I don't want to find out how much it will hurt if I get thrown off this thing.