General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have added grease to my battery posts since I started driving, same as my dad taught me. Yes I do take them off for a quick clean and reattach as part of my prep for winter. Always give each post a good coat of grease to slow down corrosion. NEVER have had a corrosion issue! I just use the wire brush cleaner, just have to replace it every few years.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:11 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Frank, that is what extension cords are for, just put the plug inside a zip lock baggie and leave that trickle charger hooked up full time thru winter. Better for your battery anyway... Steve..those items you described are " necessities" for us more experienced folks!
Keeping the plug clean and dry isn't the problem. I just don't have any outside receptacles to plug into, and I'm not leaving a window cracked open all winter to stick the cord through.

Before I started my truck today I turned the key on and everything on the dash looked okay. Then I turned the headlights on for a second or two and it wasn't okay. The dash lights dimmed and the clock on the radio turned off. I turned the lights off and double checked that everything else was turned off. I turned the key and it fired right up and I left it running for quite awhile. I drove it over to Advance Auto who BTW had a lot of batteries on the shelf, and bought the same kind as last time. The guy who rung me up installed the battery for me too. He couldn't find the tools he was looking for so I told him to use mine. When he was trying to unscrew the clamp at the bottom of the battery I heard something that sounded like the gears inside my ratchet wrench stripping out. After hearing it a couple of times I asked if that sound was my ratchet wrench breaking. He said no, that's just the bolt turning. Then I remembered I had a big 1/2"-drive ratchet wrench that wasn't in the tool kit and got that out. It wasn't making any noise when he used it because nothing happened until the bolt snapped off. So now there's nothing but gravity holding my battery in place. I think I have a small bungee cord in the back of my truck that I can wrap around it, but I don't expect my 3/8" ratchet wrench to ever work right again. When I put my tools away and started up the truck the needle on the gas gauge was pointing down, about 140 degrees past full. I tapped the dash a couple of times and it went back where it should be. The gauge turns on and off with the key so I think it works.

I ordered a battery for my ATV off smile.amazon.com tonight and should have it next week. I bought the same model of American-made Yuasa AGM battery that was in it for $79.80. It only costs 50 cents more than a Chinese battery with a lot less CCA. Amazon was telling me that battery won't fit my vehicle. Most of the places I looked for a battery for it said I needed a YIX30L-BS AGM, or that size, but what I really needed was a YTX20HL-BS High Performance AGM. They're different in all 3 dimensions especially the width. Everyone was saying to buy a 5" wide battery to put in the 3.5" wide battery tray. The extra 3/4" of height wouldn't fit either. The H in the model number means Higher CCA, up to 30% more, and the BS means Bottle Supplied electrolyte. I have to do what it shows in this video, except you're supposed gently press down evenly on the bottles, not smack them down. My battery is exactly like this one except the L means the ground is on the left instead of the right.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

I have had excellent service from that same brand as has most people. With the weather reaching 50 plus degrees mabey it is time to add that outdoor plug! You have the need...when I added one on my barn, I just drilled a hole thru the wall up high, added an outside sare plug and let it hang about 4 ft off the ground. Inside I added a grounded plug and just plug into nearest recepticle. Can be unplugged inside when not in use. I use the outside plugs all the time for various things.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Van started again....this time without charging!! man that's a load off/holding my breath, but always assuming the worst! and if the battery hold charge till next winter, i'll use maintainers to keep things happy! The battery is fairly new, since I just bought the van from my brother last oct. and he rarely used the vehicle, and date on battery is 7/17 that he bought new then. maintainers, braintainers this winter is so draggin on! Please Lord make it go away lol
Need to find someone/anyone to go riding with....''ME''!!.... .PLEASE!! Somebody ''HELP ME''!! I need some good ol fashion, trail Dk.'trn fixer up'in! I'm going to design my own T-shirt saying I LIVE TO RIDE or RIDE TO LIVE or WINTER IS OVER SO WHY ARE WE NOT RIDING!! or GET OFF YOUR DUFFS AND RIDE ALREADY!! Wha ya think? You think someone will get the message?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have plugs galore, all over outside, close to all 3 vehicles in different areas, for BBQ pit area for making sauces, getting sauced lol, by using blender making margaritas, outdoor oven, microwave, lights, chair vibe-rater w/heat....just kidding about that, but not a bad idea while waiting on them ribs while chugging margaritas lol. Then outside, inside patio that's 50' away from house, plugs for heat, lights, for ping pong table, shuffle board, darts, hockey game, and elect. fan for fireplace that's fueled by propane. Their time consuming having to dig trench 21'' deep, for in ground cable, and tediously stringing/taping/attaching/drilling but so handy when needed, just do it! It so worth the effort!

Old 02-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

21"...wow.. we only need to go 12" as long as we use plastic conduit, but that stuff is cheap. When I cut/saw wood I prefer to do it outside so I have a number of outside outlets myself. You will find the battery maintainers are actually good for your batteries especially during cold weather..

Old 02-02-2019, 08:54 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yuasa supplies batteries to more OEM’s than all of their competitors combined. I knew I couldn't go wrong with one of theirs. All my other quads came with Yuasa batteries too but they were the plain Yumicron lead-acid type. They make High Performance AGM replacement batteries for them too.

I think I still have an an old light socket adapter in one of my toolboxes. All I have to do is unscrew my floodlight bulb, screw in the adapter, and plug in the cord. I forgot all about it because I don't use it. I don't know if I ever have, but I have another one in the basement. I have a 4' double fluorescent light fixture plugged into the light socket over my workbench. I couldn't see squat when I had a single light bulb by my head and everything else was dark.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have a few of those adapters, not made for heavy draw but a bettery maintainer would not be a problem. See there ...no excuse for not keeping your battery up!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Going to look at these new 4' long led lights to replace my flouresant lights in my garage. Talked to a few friends that have made the switch and are very pleased! On sale for less than 25 bucks per 48in unit and much brighter...also use much less power and last for 10 years...so they say..I do know my elec bill has dropped considerably since replacing all my outside lites with led bulbs!!

Old 02-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 4-tracker
Van started again....this time without charging!! man that's a load off/holding my breath, but always assuming the worst! and if the battery hold charge till next winter, i'll use maintainers to keep things happy! The battery is fairly new, since I just bought the van from my brother last oct. and he rarely used the vehicle, and date on battery is 7/17 that he bought new then. maintainers, braintainers this winter is so draggin on! Please Lord make it go away lol
Need to find someone/anyone to go riding with....''ME''!!.... .PLEASE!! Somebody ''HELP ME''!! I need some good ol fashion, trail Dk.'trn fixer up'in! I'm going to design my own T-shirt saying I LIVE TO RIDE or RIDE TO LIVE or WINTER IS OVER SO WHY ARE WE NOT RIDING!! or GET OFF YOUR DUFFS AND RIDE ALREADY!! Wha ya think? You think someone will get the message?
Those shirts might just have to say" my wife said me or the atv"... I am sure gonna miss her!! Or...you might ba livin in that van along with your atv!

Quick Reply: MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50