ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/377864-michigan-need-riding-friend-buddy-over-50-a.html)

4-tracker 01-12-2019 01:31 PM

MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50

I'll keep looking/asking until I find someone that's in same boat, or atv as I'm in lol Well maybe not the exact same atv, any atv would be ok lol
Riding skills from slow poke to flat WOT is fine with me, as long as were out there in Gods country!! Get in touch before the season starts,
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...1e72a6d1a2.jpg
my trx450 seemed big to me, until i bought this KQ750 dwarfing it in size! I still love them both, best quads for the money!
Thanks, Steve

4-tracker 01-15-2019 06:29 AM

I'll keep looking/asking/posting, until I find someone to join me for trip out, up north here, when weather improves. I've been exploring many trails, every year, almost every week throughout riding season there, since 86 and can offer many terrific hidden gems over hundreds of sq miles! I prefer to ride/camp with one other person, helps to cut down on dust and odds of mishaps.
Get in touch before season starts, to get acquainted beforehand, and to go over any questions you might have. Thanks, Steve
Don't ride alone, not safe

Big Frank 01-16-2019 12:29 AM

"Don't ride alone, not safe". You got that right. I was riding alone in the winter a long time ago and got stuck so bad I put the key in my pocket, grabbed a few things, and started walking. Luckily, some people smart enough to ride in a group came by and helped get me out. I thought I would be okay since I had a winch, but it couldn't pull me through all that snow back to the trail. Maybe if I anchored the winch up in a tree and made a bunch of pulls to go around in a U it would work, but I don't climb snow covered trees.

4-tracker 01-16-2019 09:30 AM

There's been so many times that same kind of thing has happened to me, and even when riding with others, like the time I got ahead of a young friend of my son, and for some reason he headed off on a different trail, with me searching in every direction from the point where I last saw him, for hours, with the sun starting to going down, scares the hell out of you, being so far out in the woods, and for someone not knowing the area that well, especially on Mi. trails, where our trail can lead into many others trails instantly, and can start headed away from the main trail, you were on together. I finally caught up with him miles away in an area I had given up on earlier, but it was a gut decision and it paid off. He was scarred and very apologetic! Ever since then, before I ever head out with anyone, I make sure I get everyone's attention, and preach (no won likes to be preached to, especially the kids, but its so important, and can save a lot of aggravation, while out riding) I insist, that if anyone is not sure where their at/lost ''STOP'' and go back where you last remembered seeing one another, especially at a cross road/trail to be seen from more than one direction and ''WAIT'' don't just keep riding around, and possibly even get further away, making it impossible to find, and if sun go down, up north, it gets ''COLD'' quick, and you know, where most kids dress lite, because during the day its hot, but temps can drop at night down close to freezing! In dark/alone/bears/coyotes/no mommy/no dinner/no fire/no gun/no fun lol This sort of thing has happened so many times, almost on every trip! This is just one example where you shouldn't ride alone! I could write a book on all the mishaps, while out riding the trails, but hate being reminded lol

Specta 01-16-2019 12:42 PM

You might check and see if there are any local ATV clubs.

4-tracker 01-16-2019 01:42 PM

Thanks but I prefer to ride with one other person, keeps trail dust down and too many mishaps with large groups.

Big Frank 01-16-2019 04:44 PM

The guys I ride with will almost always stop any time they turn off a trail to a road, a road to a trail, or from one trail to another, even if it's marked and they think everyone knows the way. Sometimes you can miss seeing the black on white arrow if there even is one. Sometimes they just have the ORV trail markers turned sideways with the point on top of the orange triangle pointed where you turn. I've missed those completely before. I think we all have at one time or another. Sometimes the guy ahead of me will stop and wait at intersections where we keep going straight and I'll tell him don't even wait for me if we don't turn. And if someone gets lost they sit at a corner and wait for someone to come back. It probably won't be near the last place we saw each other but the guy who usually leads is good at reading tracks and always makes it back to you.

Specta 01-16-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4-tracker (Post 3410955)
Thanks but I prefer to ride with one other person, keeps trail dust down and too many mishaps with large groups.

Clubs are full of people just like you and I'm sure there are others looking for someone to ride with too without having to ride in a group.

Nice machines. :D

greg74 01-17-2019 02:12 PM

I like my KQ 750 too. I was looking to buy a Grizzly 700 instead but couldn't find one for a decent price used. So far so good.

Kymco 450i 01-17-2019 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by greg74 (Post 3411017)
I like my KQ 750 too. I was looking to buy a Grizzly 700 instead but couldn't find one for a decent price used. So far so good.

I am in northern Ohio and always lookung for scenic places to ride, if you know of any nice riding areas that accept my 56" wide SxS I would be happy to meet you somewhere to ride. "Have motorhome will travel"...

Specta 01-18-2019 06:32 AM

KQ are great ATVs.

I had to replace my stator and fuel pump at right close to 8000 miles. About $4-500 all together.

I'm still happy with my BF.

https://i.postimg.cc/W1Ccsv7B/IMG-4547.jpg

I doubt that I'll be going for a ride today. ;)

4-tracker 01-18-2019 06:50 AM

Hooking up plow with upwards of 5'' expected and possible higher drifts, I'm hoping!

Kymco 450i 01-18-2019 10:27 AM

I can see Steve now, just sittin there at the window waiting for that first inch of snow to fall so he can run out to plow it off....lol. Just think if you do get 5", you might get to plow 5 times! Lol...

4-tracker 01-18-2019 10:45 AM

OR MORE TIMES!! AND IF IT STARTS BLOWING BACK ON FRESHLY PLOWED DRIVEWAY....WELL I'LL JUST HAVE TO GO OVER IT AGAIN.... AND THEN I COULD GO OUT IN THE YARD AND PLOW IT BACK ON, THEN PLOW IT BACK OFF!! MAYBE I CAN BORROW THE NEIGHBORS SNOW AND MAKE A MOUNTAIN IN THE BACK YARD AND MAKE TRAILS UP IN THERE! LOL Don't laugh but when the kids were still in school, I built a toboggan run from the top of the house down into pool area, where it would send them in a circle around the sides!! So don't put anything past me!! lol

Kymco 450i 01-18-2019 11:57 AM

When I first had my plow on my Praire I plowed the yard into a hugh snow pile so the kids and grandkids could build a giant snow fort. It was so big it lasted much of the winter . Also plowed the ice on the pond for ice skating, almost done when we noticed the entire pond surface was tipping when the atv got close to the edge. Sort of riding on a giant ice cube...scared the crap out of me...never plowed the pond again! I have plowed excess snow into the pond so it wouldnt create puddles in the yard when it melted .

greg74 01-18-2019 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Specta (Post 3411046)
KQ are great ATVs.

I had to replace my stator and fuel pump at right close to 8000 miles. About $4-500 all together.

I'm still happy with my BF.

https://i.postimg.cc/W1Ccsv7B/IMG-4547.jpg

I doubt that I'll be going for a ride today. ;)

If I could have found a good deal on a used BF 750, I would have gotten one. That's another one that was on my list. Outlander 650 or 800 too but all of those used were still more than I wanted to spend. I actually almost considered buying a new Yamaha Kodiak 700 but just didn't want to spend that much. They were selling them new locally for about $5500 for the base model.

4-tracker 01-18-2019 03:01 PM

The price of my 2017 KQ750 bought new last Oct was $5999, but 2019 base price now , is over $10,000. I guess that was a good time to just happen to be in the market for any 4x4, since I didn't know one from another, and still really don't! I just happen to see their ad in a trader mag. while at the local dinner and drove right there, bought it and brought it home, knowing absolutely nothing about it, but at the time I figured for that price I could always sell it for what I had paid for it if I didn't like it.lol I always had the sporty quads 2 and 4 stroke 20 in all, and always considered 4x4's an old mans deer hauler, but now that I've had a chance to try this one out, you couldn't give me twice the price, I paid for it, Its like driving a tank on steroids, but smooth and comfortable as a Cadillac, quick as a deer, Strong as bull, climbs like a goat, stops on a dime....most of the time without using the breaks, in fact I really cant remember using the brakes at all...well it could be that I never slowed down long enough to find out lol I was that thrilled with the performance! Where as with the TRX450r I also have, its fast, quick, lite but suspension is horrible, when it comes to the billions of tiny ruts, on the gravel roads/trails, that will jar your eye teeth loose, there no joke, and after a long hard days ride, then add a few more days out most trips, your beat to death! But you'll sleep like a log!! They still had one left 2 months ago for same price at the dealer where I bought mine, but its gone now, and also their new 750's are over 10k. crazy difference in price for practically the same model.
We've never lost any money when buying our atv's since bought mostly used, but in real good condition, proven by all the years put on them, hard riding, little maintenance, I guess we were just lucky! And with this new atv bought for so little, it should sell for what I paid for it in years to come.

greg74 01-18-2019 04:12 PM

That's a great deal on a new KQ 750. Leftover new models are where the deals are.

Specta 01-18-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4-tracker (Post 3411047)
Hooking up plow with upwards of 5'' expected and possible higher drifts, I'm hoping!

If we would have ended up with 5" I'd be heading out to work in a couple of hours. I'm hoping for more tonight.

Only a 30% chance tonight for just a skiff.

Big Frank 01-19-2019 12:05 AM

Between Friday night and Saturday I'm expecting an inch or two of snow total, but no more than that. As if the weatherman really knows. But it's close to a 100% chance so we'll get something.

Specta 01-19-2019 06:47 AM

Meteorologists need to have a window put in their office so they can see what the weathers really like.

4-tracker 01-19-2019 06:48 AM

Now were only suppose to see 3-4'' and is just starting to arrive, more south of us in the 6-8'' rang. In order to use the snow blower, we need some decent base to make it worth while, so it might be this afternoon before we'll have enough. A little disappointed here this morning with so little expected, but more coming in a few days, hopeful adding to what we'll have! It is what it is....hate those greedy O'hi''O''n's, rear ends, down S of the border! So greedy lol We better get at least a short video of some proper plow usage, from the guy that's down there, where there getting the majority of OUR snow, in that little red sxs sedan! We'll see what he's got then, and see if he really knows how to handle that plow!

Kymco 450i 01-19-2019 09:33 AM

Here it comes! We have had nothing until an hour ago. Comming sown pretty good now . Didn't know my grandaughter had to work today so not sure about the vids unless she gets off early enough. Gonna try to get a couple pics myself. Commin down hard enough to make it look real nice out there. For you Michigan whiners I suppose I could pack a couple boxes with snow and ship them your way but if we get as much as I hope we do, the delivery guy wont be able to get out of the state! Lol. Will keep ya posted so you can drool with envy!

4-tracker 01-19-2019 11:02 AM

We got ours early with almost 2'' on ground since yesterday, before this new snowfall started, and its coming down at a pretty good pace now, with more later on today early. might get 5'' after all said and done, but more again expected in few days, so i'm piling it far away from walks and drive to make mo room. Got snow blower out just to check it out on higher piles I made, and found out it needed added ski angles in the back end, to allow my pulling the blower backwards without digging. Works now with just a lite touch pushing, pulling over snow!
Call me if you get that little red, so-called plow vehicle, stuck out in some of your white powdery puff/fluff, down there, I'll be glad to find anything for this 700# paper weight, out here to do, while sitting out here, collecting dust, not snow ;lol

Kymco 450i 01-19-2019 11:05 AM

Wow...2"...you should have plowed twice already!

4-tracker 01-19-2019 11:52 AM

Been out there a dozen times already, cant stop! Somebody ....HELP ME!!

greg74 01-19-2019 12:03 PM

Nothing but rain here but its rained a lot in the last 12 hours. Supposed to turn into snow later today as it gets colder. Local forecast is calling for 1-3 inches of snow.

Kymco 450i 01-19-2019 01:04 PM

We have mabey 2-3 inches but with serious drifting it is hard to tell. Good 20-30 mph winds, snow is very fine so taking longer to build up. Tried some pics but not comming out well. Used blower to knock out large drift by garage door, after lunch will do some plowing before it gets to deep. Stay tuned for updates

4-tracker 01-19-2019 02:17 PM

We probably have close to 6'' right now, but we cheated by starting out with close to 2'' left over from last night. I know the math doesn't add up, but every time I went out and shoveled, since 5 this morning, there was at least an additional inch n half of this new stuff, and I have shoveled many times all day, so that should total 4' in my thinking, and could possibly get more, yet today....still steadily coming down!

greg74 01-19-2019 03:23 PM

Update, we have snow now. Probably at least an inch or more and its coming down pretty good. I think we'll get at least 3-4"

Specta 01-20-2019 06:51 AM

Still no snow. :(

4-tracker 01-20-2019 07:14 AM

Its only 3 deg this morning, and our snow is hard as a rock where it was plowed. Some drifts covering everything that we worked so hard yesterday to clear....not complaining....been asking for this stuff all winter, and its like GOLD to me, I'm hoping for more! Just wish we had a little more, to make it worth while for drag out the 4x4 plow! Still might get it out, just to play around with, since the new plow has never been used. We got a grand total here in SE MI. of 5.5 + 1.5 already on ground, so around 7'ish. Not bad for our first big snow of the season!

Kymco 450i 01-20-2019 10:34 AM

After all that whining you didnt use the quad? Shame on you, that KQ probably feels neglected and wont even start for you! Surprisingly I didnt have much drifting on my drive, some but nthing over a foot deep. With the wind much of the grass area is barely covered bur much of it ended up piles in front of garage door and the barn doors. Had to bust thru an 18" drift to get the buggy out of the barn but I see it is drifted back this morning will just use the snow blower to xlear that today. Real big drift in rear sidewalk mabey 3' used both the plow and blower to get that gone so the dog could get out to pee. Will do some smoothing out and touching up so I am ready for the next round come tuesday. Been fun but damn cold now! Need to get the blood thickened up!!

4-tracker 01-20-2019 10:35 AM

GOOD NEWS!! Just took the KQ out for the first time, with, never used before virgin plow on, and loves deep snow, no slippage of tires, no matter how much snow it pushed, with those 12'' wide rear aggressive tires, just installed last mo., that I'm sure helped a lot! Never thought to put it into 4 WD but never needed it! I got started and couldn't stop, going around the neighborhood, having a ball! Loud Yahoo yelling coming out my mouth, uncontrollably lol Have plow will travel https://atvconnection.com/forums/ima...ons/icon10.gif https://atvconnection.com/forums/ima...ons/icon14.gif

Kymco 450i 01-20-2019 10:41 AM

Sounds like you were so excited that you night have had to change your undies when you got back in? I have to admit it was fun...after plowing, dropped plow blade and went out and made donuts! Grandaughter made her first donuts. .not sure what the yard will look like come spring!!

greg74 01-20-2019 12:59 PM

Got about 2 inches of snow here.

4-tracker 01-20-2019 05:27 PM

Sounds like your catching up lol

Kymco 450i 01-20-2019 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4-tracker (Post 3411177)
Sounds like your catching up lol

Rain comming in wed...gonna destroy our snow, temps of 37 degrees, then freezing cold on thur night. Temps will stay cold but snow will be history! Gettin crapped on again!

4-tracker 01-29-2019 07:27 AM

Michigan trail buddy needed, to join me for St Helen trip this spring/summer, camping, trail riding! Over 50 to have more things in common. 2 or more days would be great! Let me know and lets ride! Thanks, Steve

Big Frank 01-30-2019 11:12 PM

It's -14 degrees right now with a wind chill of -34. If it warmed up 46 degrees it would still be freezing. And if the wind chill was 66 degrees warmer it would still feel like 32 degrees. What the...? Mother nature is really pissed off at us. The power companies are saying that this weather is overtaxing the electrical grid and gas supply. The governor is asking everyone to turn their heat down to 55 degrees or less tonight. That's not going to happen. I'll turn it down to 65 like I do most nights, and enjoy the heat while I have it. If we lose gas and electric power I'll switch to plan B. You should always have a plan B.

My ATV battery is dead and I can't go get a new one. My truck won't start either. The oil is probably thicker than molasses. It cranked a few times, then nothing. This is my truck's 19th winter and the battery has only been replaced once. I got my money's worth out of the original and the replacement. I actually wanted to cash a check I have here and get a new battery, but even if the truck started, the credit union I planned on going to was closed all day.

P.S. In Mio where it's usually about 10 degrees colder than here it's actually 14 degrees warmer. There's more even wind there but less wind chill so it feels 16 degrees warmer than here.