ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Which atv should he get? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/378678-atv-should-he-get.html)

Cross millions 05-27-2019 01:29 PM

Which atv should he get?

Ok so my buddy is getting an atv to come ride with me and my friends . He is 27 years old 5ft 5 and 120 pounds. We all have 400 ex. He has never rode an atv really before. So I told him to get a 300ex but I'm afraid once he gets use to it , that it will not be enough for him. What do y'all think he should get?

Kymco 450i 05-27-2019 03:40 PM

I am all for utility quads unless you are racing. Can do so much more and go far more places than any sport quad. With todays big bores, performance is not a problem...only problem I see is you guys will depend on him to keep pulling your machines out of the mud

Cross millions 05-27-2019 03:45 PM

Lol. He is set on getting a sport quad.

MooseHenden 05-27-2019 04:33 PM

It's easy enough to lay off the throttle and not use all the power than it is trying to juice more power out of a small engine. I'd say he should go with the 400ex. If he can't use the clutch correctly he might look into a Can-Am Renegade 500. Very good power and very light handling. Son had one and if I had the money when he upgraded, I would have bought it off him. It is an automatic and 4wd is available when needed.

Kymco 450i 05-27-2019 07:22 PM

My neighbor has had soort quads for years, would never consider a utility quad. We teased each other all these yrs about who had the better machines. His son broke down a picked up a Sportsman 500, had it about a month now. I see dad riding it now and then, well this weekend I see his 400 ex up for sale...he is now convinced the urility machine is a better choice. Buy what ever your comfortable with, but I have saw way more folks going to utility machines than ever before. Most mfgrs have stopped making sport quads due to poor sales. What ever he chooses, be sure he learns to ride safe and be good to the enviorenment!

Zrock 05-28-2019 09:44 AM

To each their own for riding....... but a buddy just when from a nice utility can am to their sports machine.. Well we all can see he is hating it but will not admit it after the 18g he just spend... He cannot go where we usually ride without pulling out his winch or have some one hold down the front end and keep him toppling over backwards.. I jumped on his old machine the other day as his buddy riding it was not comfortable going up the hill. I sat at the bottom for 10 min while he winched up and then i walked up the hill in 2wd... each machine has their benefits

MooseHenden 05-28-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zrock (Post 3419365)
To each their own for riding....... but a buddy just when from a nice utility can am to their sports machine.. Well we all can see he is hating it but will not admit it after the 18g he just spend... He cannot go where we usually ride without pulling out his winch or have some one hold down the front end and keep him toppling over backwards.. I jumped on his old machine the other day as his buddy riding it was not comfortable going up the hill. I sat at the bottom for 10 min while he winched up and then i walked up the hill in 2wd... each machine has their benefits

Situation sounds like why we all ended up with 4x4 quads. Slow hills, rocks, mud, and snow makes riding a sport quad get old quickly.

Zrock 05-28-2019 01:26 PM

Yep not to mention they are limited for carrying additional tools, saws, and what ever else we carrie for a ride.

Kyle Janulis 05-30-2019 06:42 PM

I'd just go with the 400. Rather have too much power than not enough but the smaller machines can still be a ton of fun because they are easier to throw around and drift if he is looking to get into stunts and do that sort of thing.

jgar 05-30-2019 11:01 PM

Tell him to get a 400ex, they are far more stable than the 300.