ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Trail Mapping (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/378751-trail-mapping.html)

Kyle Janulis 06-06-2019 12:07 PM

Trail Mapping

Does anyone know of any apps that can trail map?
I have an iPhone 10 and would like to map my trail so I don't get lost. I see that the advanced trail tech computers can do it so I figured there has got to be an app for that. Does anyone know of anything for either iPhone or Android?

Bonus points if you don't need phone service to track the route since coverage is really spotty by where I am at.

Alex G. 06-07-2019 09:32 AM

Trail mapping apps (ie) don't require cell coverage to work, they use GPS which is independent of phone connectivity.
I use US TOPO MAPS on my Android. Their is a free and a pro version. I use the pro version, I believe it was only like $5 or something like that.

Zrock 06-07-2019 10:18 AM

Phone apps work ok i dont trust them... I have compared my gps track to a buddy's phone app the phone app was aprox 10km off and had us actually on a totally different part of the trail. Where we ride is dense and really spotty coverage even with my gps i sometimes have issues getting it to connect to multiple sat's. My personal preference is gps you can pick up good deals used or onsale for a entry level thats what mine is and works great

Alex G. 06-07-2019 10:53 AM

Phone apps are exactly the same.thing as a dedicated gps. Neither use cell towers so its all about locating satelites. If your in a location that your dedicated gps has issues locking onto 3 satelites then a phone app will suffer as well. Its all about convenience and cost. In my srea a $5 phone app is more cost effective than spending a few hundred on a garmin.

Zrock 06-07-2019 11:01 AM

I think with a dedicated gps you have more power/antenna to connect to sat compared to a phone so reliability will be better. I payed $100 for my garmin on sale and see them all the time online for less than that for better units... Everyone has their preference with our riding we are quite often exploring and braking trail some ware in the mountains so making sure i can get a sat or 2 is key. Quite easy to get turned around and a few times we have not been able to see our trail in.. Only time mine leaves the machine is when i need to DL the tracks...

Alex G. 06-07-2019 11:04 AM

Yup...👍its all about what works best for you!

Kyle Janulis 06-11-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Alex G. (Post 3420068)
Trail mapping apps (ie) don't require cell coverage to work, they use GPS which is independent of phone connectivity.
I use US TOPO MAPS on my Android. Their is a free and a pro version. I use the pro version, I believe it was only like $5 or something like that.

Thanks, I am going to get TOPO MAPS and try it out in my area where I am at. I found another one called ViewRanger as well that I am going to try out.