General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Fixing Swampy Trail

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Swampy Trail

How would you fix this swampy trail? I'm thinking of either dumping lots of rocks in the water, or lying lots of logs perpendicular to the trail to make a corduroy road.
I can't really bring in a big truck with gravel here so I have to look at other options.

Swampy part of trail

Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

No matter how you will need to do some hauling. Logs would be a short term fix, large stone would be more permanent. Is there any way you can dig a trench of sorts to drain the area to keep it dry?

Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You will need to get the water to drain off the road.. if thats not a possibility due to water running and not being able to ditch and redirect that running water then cutting logs and creating a corduroy road will work great as long as the logs dont float away... It works great in logging and still in use today, allot of the trails i ride were done 50 or so years ago and are still holding up for machines... Only thing is if you do not own that property you will need to talk to land owner before cutting anything especially money trees... Or you can just take a chance if you are feeling lucky... In my area the gov allows us to cut trees as long as they are not a money tree, we have had a few people that have went out on their own not associated with our club and cut money trees to build road and bridges and we have had to answer for their behavior..

You could also drop a tree and line the road on the left where the water is coming in and pack it with mud and leaves and create a mini dame to direct the water down farther hopfully to a ditch.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want too?

But regardless, you will need to create some sort of alternate place for the water to drain, plus increase the height of the trail so water does not pool there.
Digging a trench, filling with sand/gravel is a easy fix. Digging a "French drain" for the water to find its way to a creek or pond is another.
Personally I would just leave it alone, but looking on the right side of the pic... about 10ft in there is some sort of runoff covered by pallet boards?
Your obviously wanting to get a truck thru the muck correct? Easiest way is to just pour gravel runners for truck tires the length of the puddles.
Let us know what you decide.
Cheers

Old 07-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So??? What did you decide to do????