General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

your honest opinion please

Old 07-05-2018, 07:54 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
Can Am population is growing fast out here.

I'm the only Kawasaki in my group and the rest are 650-800 Can Am Max's.

And that right there sucks.

probably that thin air up where you are, takes you guys a little while to catch up- eventually they'll all be riding can-am

Old 07-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I've watched my friends Can Am several times where only one front tires spins even when both tires are on the ground and I mean the other tire is spinning.

I've watched the one that is off the ground spin and the other one never engage.

I first noticed it in a video he posted and so I started watching for it.

I'm sure that its just worn out. He has tons of miles on it. The viscous coupler wore out in the transfer case of my wife's Grand Cherokee.

Can Ams new "smart lock"

https://www.superatv.com/blog/whats-...-differential/

I never had problems with the front ends locking on the two POSs I had.

I had problems with them un-locking and working in revers and the ADC only worked about 25% of the time.

The ADC sucks. It works fine if you like creeping down a hill slower than a snail. And then as soon as you touch the throttle the ADC is deactivated and away you go with just the rear wheels locking up and sliding and that sucks when its lose - just like being in 2-wd.

The criteria that must be met for the 4-wd and ADC is an electrical nightmare.

The plastic carriers were used in RZRs too. I mean really........ plastic carriers??? Seriously???? Can they get any cheaper???

If you're out riding in a big group I guarantee you if any one of the ATVs break down its going to be a Polaris.

You are soo correct. I'm not a Polaris fan.

If I bought a new ATV today I'd buy another Brute Force 750i. I love it

2nd choice would be just what you're riding but maybe not the Limited model.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

We sure ran away with this thread didn't we. LOL

Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've watched my friends Can Am several times where only one front tires spins even when both tires are on the ground and I mean the other tire is spinning.

I've watched the one that is off the ground spin and the other one never engage.

I first noticed it in a video he posted and so I started watching for it.

I'm sure that its just worn out. He has tons of miles on it. The viscous coupler wore out in the transfer case of my wife's Grand Cherokee.

Can Ams new "smart lock"

https://www.superatv.com/blog/whats-...-differential/

I never had problems with the front ends locking on the two POSs I had.

I had problems with them un-locking and working in revers and the ADC only worked about 25% of the time.

The ADC sucks. It works fine if you like creeping down a hill slower than a snail. And then as soon as you touch the throttle the ADC is deactivated and away you go with just the rear wheels locking up and sliding and that sucks when its lose - just like being in 2-wd.

The criteria that must be met for the 4-wd and ADC is an electrical nightmare.

The plastic carriers were used in RZRs too. I mean really........ plastic carriers??? Seriously???? Can they get any cheaper???

If you're out riding in a big group I guarantee you if any one of the ATVs break down its going to be a Polaris.

You are soo correct. I'm not a Polaris fan.

If I bought a new ATV today I'd buy another Brute Force 750i. I love it

2nd choice would be just what you're riding but maybe not the Limited model.
Went into a "little" mud/water hole that was about 8x10' in size. Front rack almost went underwater and I got on the throttle. Was a big submerged rock on one side. Kicked up the right front end so the tire ended up in the air. I could see it turning in mid-air and could feel the other 3 grabbing (would not have gotten out in 2wd). Every time I've had a tire up in the air it's spinning and the other tires are grabbing. I'll watch out for it wearing down. Haven't gotten as many miles on it as I'd like.

Honestly, I've seen every brand broken down at one time or another. Honda's were usually spark or carb problems. Polaris was usually slamming into a rock or root that would have damaged anything else out there. Can-Am's have been front suspension breakage. Can't really compare Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Arctic Cats. We just don't see that many of them out on the trails.

I got the Limited over the previous XT-P version I had for one reason. Air controlled rear suspsension. I don't often have a passenger but when I have one or a big load on the back it's nice to push a button to adjust for the extra load rather than getting out a spanner wrench.

I like the Brute Force. Has smile inducing power and just an all around blast. Yellow lever dislike has been taken care of by the aftermarket. I wish they had a 2 seater. Would consider one then.

All this talk..... I am getting so impatient about getting out there. Especially the Swell. Our jaws were dropping from just what we could see from the highway.

We are probably moving up to NH in the next few weeks. It will be nice to be somewhere that gun owners aren't treated like criminals.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

We sure ran away with this thread didn't we. LOL
Original poster has never been back. Fair game on his post.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Original poster has never been back. Fair game on his post.

Yep, they all break.

I've always liked Can Ams Viscus-Lok front differential. They are very aggressive yet they allow "some" slippage so there's no need for a limiter of any type when in 4-wd.

It they don't "lock" then you don't need rev limiters when locked like Suzuki does. One wheel can "roll faster" than the other one on a Polaris. The little yellow lever on the Kawasaki eliminates the need for any type of limiter on the RPM because its manually held in. If the front tires actually lock it greatly affects the steering of the machine which become a liability to the manufacture.

When mine is locked you can easily tell that it is because of how much harder it is to steer and its desire to go straight.

Kevin has well over 20,000 miles on his and he uses it a lot and he's not easy on it either. Its been on its side multiple times, rolled and flipped. Its been an impressive machine.

Kevin is the guy that you never tell him he can't make it or its too difficult for an ATV. You always get that "here, hold my beer" look.

The instantaneous throttle response is what sold me on the BF. There were several times I cussed that little yellow lever and the first time I went looking I couldn't find it on High Lifters website and Doug had already installed his on an early 650 Prairie - maybe they were out of them at the time. The "Pen-Lok" is the perfect cure.

The 850 Touring that I had was not nearly as troublesome as the 550 Touring was. I went from the 850 to a new 2012 BF 750i LE and it was like going from a Suburban to a sports car. I was sold on the BF withing about the first 50 miles of riding it.

I rode a 2010 BF and I wasn't all that impressed with it. Kawasaki made big changes in 2012 and fixed a lot of the old issues they were having.

Kevin told me that on a couple of occasions on slow rocky trails he set his EPS on high and it overheated and quit working.

Chipped keys and multiple setting for EPS to me is going a little overboard for an ATV but that's just me.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Yep, they all break.

The instantaneous throttle response is what sold me on the BF. There were several times I cussed that little yellow lever and the first time I went looking I couldn't find it on High Lifters website and Doug had already installed his on an early 650 Prairie - maybe they were out of them at the time. The "Pen-Lok" is the perfect cure.

The 850 Touring that I had was not nearly as troublesome as the 550 Touring was. I went from the 850 to a new 2012 BF 750i LE and it was like going from a Suburban to a sports car. I was sold on the BF withing about the first 50 miles of riding it.

I rode a 2010 BF and I wasn't all that impressed with it. Kawasaki made big changes in 2012 and fixed a lot of the old issues they were having.

Chipped keys and multiple setting for EPS to me is going a little overboard for an ATV but that's just me.
I really liked the BF when I rode one and did a review for the Connection. Had a blast. At the time I owned a 2006 Polaris Sportsman X2 500. Workhorse, but not much of a high end. That quad gave me much of my upper body strength over the years.

I didn't think I'd like power steering as much as I do. I don't like Polaris' as much as Can-Am's. It's almost too easy. I like having it in low power steering mode at the start of the day and mid or max by the end of the day. First time I used it, I overcompensated and launched up a 3' rock face and almost over. Didn't expect it to be as quick as it was.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8000 trouble free miles and counting.

Oh wait!!!!!! I had to replace the battery. You're right. It must be a POS.

Like I've posted before. I speak from personal experience.

I don't see that you have owned either one.

In 5 years they haven't been able to figure out how to keep them from catching fire and killing someone. That's impressive all by itself.

Apparently you couldn't both read and understand what I wrote. I said we have several brands to choose from; all of which are used and abused by dozens of people. If you really think your experience with one machine equates to that I have a bridge to sell you. I'll say again - the pos kawi is always the last one that gets chosen when people have multiple choices.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

I love getting personally attacked over my hatred for Polaris.

You're not getting offended are you?? Have I posted something that's not true??

I've had 2 Polaris's- both POS.

There were things I liked about both of them. They had some cool features. The 550 Touring was extremely stable and the 850 was just fun to ride.

They are very popular everywhere you go. I've been around Polaris ATVs for a long time. My opinion of them isn't just based off the two that I have had but also all the ones I've been around.

I have no doubt that a few good ones made it off the assembly line. I've just personally never seen one of them.

I don't have one friend that has owned a Polaris that has been as trouble free as my POS Kawasaki. Not one.

All of my friends that have owned a Polaris didn't buy a Polaris to replace it. There must be a reason for that too.

If you ever do buy a Polaris I hope it treats you well.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Just about time to close this thread down. I think we've beaten our personal experiences and opinions into the ground.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: your honest opinion please