Guns and Ammo, Optics, Accessories Discussions on guns and ammo, optics, and accessories.

What is your favorite rangefinder?????

Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What is your favorite rangefinder?????

Hey guys and gals, what is your favorite rangefinder for deer hunting? I like to know what everyone is using for bow and gun hunting combo and why? And do yall like the ones with the arc system in it..? i have been looking for about 2 years and i think i will get one this year...Thanks in advance....

Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Nikon Prostaff 550. The optics are hard to beat for the price, and the internal readout was the easiest(largest) for me to see out of the models I tried, including the Leopoulds. The arc technology is nice, but not really necessary. Whenever I would get my climber set, I would range a few trees both at my level and at the trunk base. Unless you get 35+ feet up in the tree, the two readings are seldom more than a few yards difference, and not enough for me to really alter the aimpoint with my bow. At longer shotgun and rifle ranges it becomes even less of a factor.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

K thanks alot.....

Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rx2 by leupold. Not sure why they don't sell them anymore but i like mine.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

I currently use a really early Bushnell rangefinder but it is due for a replacement. Messed around with a Leupold RX-1000 a few weeks back and was pretty impressed. Definitely one to consider.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Hey guys and gals, what is your favorite rangefinder for deer hunting? I like to know what everyone is using for bow and gun hunting combo and why? And do yall like the ones with the arc system in it..? i have been looking for about 2 years and i think i will get one this year...Thanks in advance....
What is my favorite rangefinder? My eyes..If your deer hunting and they are that far out you need a range finder to figure out your shot they are either to far away or you need some more range time.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by yardley22
I have a Leica M7 ,The optics are superb and the camera almost noiseless. Very easy to conceal and so quite capable of candid and street photos. (M8 onwards are a different story and not my favorites due to some personal choices) Leica M6 was my favorite till M7 came along with its aperture priority
__________________________________________________ __
If your talking cameras my favorite is the Nikon L110 Digital camera. As a wildlife manager I take all sorts of wildlife photography and the Nikon L110 has a 420mm telephoto lens at full extension and it takes 1/4mi shots of Feral Burros clear as day and pulls them in close enough to see their color markings on thier shoulders.

Last edited by scootergptx; 02-23-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: took links out of quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sand Hog
What is my favorite rangefinder? My eyes..If your deer hunting and they are that far out you need a range finder to figure out your shot they are either to far away or you need some more range time.

Rangefinders are a great idea imo. i like to range a few trees once in stand for references. I don't mind spending a bit of time ranging and improve my chances for a quick, humane kill. Proper range is critical when bowhunting.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Rangefinders are a great idea imo. i like to range a few trees once in stand for references. I don't mind spending a bit of time ranging and improve my chances for a quick, humane kill. Proper range is critical when bowhunting.
If that works for you its all good. As a former sniper and a long range precision shooting instructor if any of the buds found a range finder in my bag I would never live it down.

I see the use of a range finder as cheating for any type of hunting BTW I also bow hunted and we never used range finders. If you get enough range time you get the calibrated eye to see range good enough for a solid clean kill every time, if you take away the tech and rely on the range finder God gave you namely your eyes your reflex shooting into the kill zone will improve 200% in a very short time.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

I find anything other than using a hand knapped obsidian point attached with sinew and animal glue on a spear shaft cut with a stone ax and employed while wearing nothing but a deerskin loincloth to be cheating.

If makes me feel superior to those atlatl hunters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is your favorite rangefinder?????