Guns and Ammo, Optics, Accessories Discussions on guns and ammo, optics, and accessories.

old military rifles

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Devious6
One of my favorite pistols is this Hi-Power made under **** occupied contract for the German Army in WWII. These pistols were issued to airborne and SS units. My father-in-law passed it on to me and, after he'd passed away we actually found the capture paperwork in his old files.
[/url]
The paper work alone adds quite a bit to the value to the Hi-Power. But if you have a son or even a daughter I'd pass it on down. Hard to find ones like this.. Same thing on the old 119 year old Winchester 1886 I have with it's "birth certificate" from the Cody Museum.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II with a 3" barrel that is my normal concealed carry, and also a 1944 Remington Rand M1911A1 - have always loved the 1911 frame. Going with a Colt is a great choice!! Have you had a chance to shoot it?

One of my favorite pistols is this Hi-Power made under **** occupied contract for the German Army in WWII. These pistols were issued to airborne and SS units. My father-in-law passed it on to me and, after he'd passed away we actually found the capture paperwork in his old files.

Hi Power.jpg
Devious, yes, it shoots very nice, although the sights were off. It was shooting about 1 foot to the left at 25 yards. I took it to my gunsmith, gave him a box of ammo. He's a 1911 aficionado, builds and tunes em. I told him, let me know when it's punching tight holes in the black. Has an awesome feel, tight and very low recoil. Trigger seemed very nice as well. SS with laminated blue grips.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Kimbers are Nice. Especially if you get into their custom lines. My most recent purchase was my first 1911 from Springfield armory. I bought a smaller frame for my concealed backup weapon in .40 cal. (I must admit I have really gotten attached to Springfield armory lately.) MY main carry weapon remains my S&W. I have never owned an 1911 before. Man, was I ever pleased with this new acquisition. I got the EMP and am glad I did. Shoots very well. I was worried it would be snappy, but I have not noticed it. Been looking closely at their 1911 TRP model. But realistically the handguns I have now shoot well, and I really don't need another one. I have two more long guns I want... well make that 3. A Benelli M4 tactical shotgun with the pistol grip, an M21 (M1A with an adjustable comb for using scopes in a super match configuration) and lastly a Larue tactical AR10 Predator. Then I would be done. Well, I could buy several lever action Henry's. But that is more of an investment than a weapon to shoot.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Nothing fancy or really collectible. Got my grand dad's old .32 US Pistol. So rickety I wouldn't put a cap through it. Took off the grips and there were a couple of different initials carved in them. Dates were '87 and '90. Retail, it's maybe worth $75. All the other stuff I have is a little, well, a lot more modern. And functional.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yeah, over the years I have come across a lot of special presentation weapons. As people die, their relatives have no desire to keep them, then try to make a fortune from them because they are old. Sometimes you can get a bargain, but it is hard these days. After all though, there are probably thousands of them out there. So unless they are of a sentimental value, they are nice to look at, but I'd never shoot them. That is why I like the Henry's. But there are so many specials out there now. So much that the company stays afloat making them, and it brings down the special nature of the brand.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Yeah, over the years I have come across a lot of special presentation weapons. As people die, their relatives have no desire to keep them, then try to make a fortune from them because they are old. Sometimes you can get a bargain, but it is hard these days. After all though, there are probably thousands of them out there. So unless they are of a sentimental value, they are nice to look at, but I'd never shoot them. That is why I like the Henry's. But there are so many specials out there now. So much that the company stays afloat making them, and it brings down the special nature of the brand.
I actually have a brand new, still in the box with hang tags, Henry American Oilman Tribute Rifle that I'm trying to sell - won it in a raffle. I love to target shoot - don't hunt - the this type of rifle isn't my style. I have shot, though, Vintage Sniper Rifle competitions and use two 1942 Soviet M91-30 WWII era sniper rifles - the matches require you to shoot at ranges from 300 to 1000 yards. That I enjoy.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I actually have a brand new, still in the box with hang tags, Henry American Oilman Tribute Rifle that I'm trying to sell - won it in a raffle. I love to target shoot - don't hunt - the this type of rifle isn't my style. I have shot, though, Vintage Sniper Rifle competitions and use two 1942 Soviet M91-30 WWII era sniper rifles - the matches require you to shoot at ranges from 300 to 1000 yards. That I enjoy.
I have a Model 38 Mosin Nagant along with a very accurate Finnish model 39 and a laminated stock Russian Sks. The Russians did know how to make weapons that would hold up although many were out dated during WW2. Didn't need it but I've had a milled Bulgarian SLR 95 AK47 for over 20 something years now also.And plenty of magazines that my son bought (that we'll never need)during all the panic buying several years back. He was one of those that panicked..

Old 12-16-2017, 06:06 AM
Trailblazer

Here are a few pics of some of my MILSURPS. I've got a bunch of Soviet M91/30s - I need to cull the herd a bit and sell some. I've been competing in Vintage SNiper Rifle competitions for a few years so that's why I've got the snipers. 2 are restorations of ex-snipers that are my match rifles. I've also got a mix of US and British WWII rifles, as well.

Attached Thumbnails old military rifles-mosins.jpg   old military rifles-rack-2.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 06:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Think you do need to thin the herd.. On the right rack I've got all that you show except the Enfield jungle carbine. Shot one once and that was all I wanted. Too stout for this old man. Love the Enfields,my Garrand,Remington 03A3, Winchester and Quality Hardware carbines.Think the most accurate ones I have are the old 96 Swedish Mauser and 38 carbine. Also forgot to mention the Winchester carbine was in the first series shipped,all parts correct. Same for the Quality Hardware carbine I inherited from my father in law. All correct and he purchased from the dcm in 1962 for 20 bucks. If people really knew back then..

Old 12-16-2017, 06:25 AM
Trailblazer

I love shooting carbines - the Soviet M44 is even more of a shoulder buster than the Brit Jungle Carbine. I've also got a Chinese Type 53 which is just an M44 clone.

The No Mk 3 on the rack was a restoration I did. Here are the before and after pics.

Attached Thumbnails old military rifles-carbines.jpg   old military rifles-smle2.jpg   old military rifles-bubba-restored.jpg  

Quick Reply: old military rifles