Honda Side by Sides Talk about the resilient Honda Sport and Utility.

Honda to replace Big Red with new Pioneer UTV

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda to replace Big Red with new Pioneer UTV

TORRANCE, Calif. - For its 2014 model year Honda is replacing the Big Red with a new side-by-side, the Pioneer with adjustable seating. The company also is launching this spring the CTX line of motorcycles with an emphasis on affordability and options such as an automatic transmission.

The Pioneer is powered by Honda’s fuel-injected 700cc-class liquid-cooled OHV single-cylinder four-stroke engine paired with an automotive-style automatic transmission with hydraulic torque converter, three forward gears and reverse.

The Pioneer also has an adjustable seating configuration. The convertible design allows the two rear seats to fold into the bed. Owners can opt to use the Pioneer with two-seat, three-seat or four-seat configurations. The rear seats fold quickly and easily without the need for tools, and once they’re folded away, the tilt-bed space can be fully used.

Long-travel suspension helps give the Pioneer the load capacity to haul 1,000 lbs. or tow 1,500 lbs.

The more aggressive-looking Pioneer will be available in three colors: red, green, and the new Honda Phantom Camo. More than 50 accessories will also be available when the Pioneer hits Honda’s dealer network later this year. Honda said it will release more information in May.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but that just looks really top heavy.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Top heavy, and honda still using a POS overhead valve instead of an OHC and still no locking front diff

When is Honda gonna smarten up?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

At least they are re designing the Big Red......that thing was down right BUTT UGLY....

Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 AM
Range Rover

Please, not an automatic motorcycle. I doubt many people will buy that, a true motorcyclist would scoff at that. I know I do.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats alot of weight for the 39hp 680 motor. without a low range once again..

700cc-class liquid-cooled OHV = same old 675cc Rincon motor and 3 speed tranny.

Its a big red with back seats now.

The new John deer 850 (70hp) is much more interesting. Low range and dill lock included.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

Big Red has a diff lock,why wouldn't the Pioneer. That POS motor that Honda builds will run longer than anything else on the market. Dependability is the real way out.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

The 4 seater version still allows the rear seats to fold into a flat floor bed right? That is what is really attracting me to the Pioneer.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
That POS motor that Honda builds will run longer than anything else on the market. Dependability is the real way out.

dogrunner- I respectfully ask that you back up such a claim.

I'm worn out hearing that honda makes the most reliable engine- and there's zero data to support such a claim, especially over the past 12 years since the compact high performance engine has been rapidly evolving (except for honda). honda may produce more engines than any other manufacturer- so there are more of'em out there that run fine; but polaris engines are just as reliable, and have been making performance engines longer then honda- the Rotax engine (usen in BRP / Can-Am products) began making high performance engines 30 years befor honda & polaris and are legendary for being one of the most reliable, high performing engines in the industry.

I've never, not once, had a single issue or internal mechanical failure with any rotax engine (and they get punished in deep mud & water on a regular basis.) I've had several issues with both of my low mileage honda rincon engines, my kawasaki engines and my suzuki engine (suzuki left me stranded miles from home with an engine sensor failure.)

From where I stand- honda has zero bragging rights to make such a claim in 2013. Granted- every engine has its weak points and none of them are perfect in any way- but I feel honda is reaping the reputation of being the most reliable engine ever manufactured- and it doesn't deserve to.

not looking to flame, just add my and debate the comment.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

Well I guess I'm going on personal experience, and I'm a Honda fan. I'm not some brand loyal nut as I bought my son a Yamaha and my wife rides a Polaris. But, my Dad's 2000 Foreman with 9000 miles without a problem, my brother's 98 Fourtrax that's been beat to **** and back is still doing its job,and my other brother's 99 Fourtrax that has never had a problem is the proof I needed. Not to mention the 84 Big Red my Dad rode till he got the Foreman and never had a problem. Thank God its America and we can all buy what we want. It is what it is and if someone don't like it there's other brands to choose from.

Quick Reply: Honda to replace Big Red with new Pioneer UTV