Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda's Response to the Yamaha Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2000, 10:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RoostKing,

So far we've done mostly old logging and farm roads, and the dunes around Coos Bay once. I like the idea of packing a tent and a few days' provisions and exploring the high desert or other outback places--it's a big state with much varied country to try.
I also enjoy messing around in gravel pits and in the sand, but as a secondary thing. But my son will be 15 and his preferences might ultimately be the opposite. We just haven't been at it long enough to think much beyond utility bikes.

Old 06-12-2000, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

The 660 is already a proven engine. It came from a streetbike sold in OZ, and a Eurobike made by MuZ. Yamaha played with it a little to raise the redline to 9000 RPM from 7000.

Also the 660 and 426 are not the same family engine. They share the 5 valve configuration, but that's where the similarity ends. The 426 is a DOHC, purpose built, hopped up, tweaked out, high compression race engine from the factory, not a whole lot the aftermarket can do for it that Yamaha hasn't already done. The 660R is a general purpose, mild single cylinder streetbike thumper with low compression and a single overhead cam.

Old 06-12-2000, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Lt250 I know all about the new Gixxer750 but where is the new Gixxer 600? They are two generations behind in the 600 sport class. What's in the plans for zuki??? another farm tool?

Old 06-12-2000, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Does that proven engine also have reverse? So is it the same, just parts of it the same, or just kind of the same? People like you just keep proving my piont for me.

Old 06-12-2000, 05:31 PM
Range Rover

I think the Raptor looks great and will certainly be fast. My hat's off to Yamaha for finally offering something that isn't a 10 yr old design with new colors (yes I know Honda does this also) as we have seen with the Banshee and the Warrior. I'm just wondering where the sport atv market is going. Looks like we are now in a displacement contest.

Sometimes bigger isn't better. A similar thing happened when Ford came out with the HUGE Excursion to out do Chevy. Now the Fords are not selling as well and Ford has been forced to cut price and offer way below market financing. Maybe not the best analogy but I hope you get the point.

Yamaha will sell every Raptor they produce. I hope along with that powerful engine, Yamaha will offer state of the art suspension and frame.

I think the reverse is great and will be a huge selling point over the Honda.

Old 06-12-2000, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Easy there sparky.

Does the XR400 have Electric start? NO. Was the 400EX engine pulled from the XR? YES. Can one correctly postulate that the HP level and engine characteristics are nearly the same? Yes.

Does the Banshee have powervalves? NO. Does the RZ350? Yes... Was the Banshee sourced from the RZ? YES.

Sheesh. Ease up man. Use your head before you type. Have you researched this engine? I have....

Just because they tacked on a reverse doesn't mean it's a new design, only a small design change.

In case you weren't around, I posted all the specs for this engine a couple of months ago on my website, guess what.... They were right on. The only difference is the engine will now turn out 9000 RPM, most likely raising HP above the 49hp mark that the streetbike puts out (unless they de-tuned it elsewhere). The only thing I don't know is if 49HP is at the crankshaft or rear tires, I couldn't find that anywhere.

Old 06-12-2000, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

My point is "sparky", nobody outside of Yamaha knows a thing about this machine beyond what is posted on the Raptor page. You said it yourself. My specs were right on unless... I am ashamed to even be having these conversations with you people. I am outta here.

Old 06-12-2000, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, quote me out of context to try to counter my point, then leave. You're the one that started throwing rocks...

The "point" is that with the info given by Yamaha, and looking at what the existing engine that Yamaha sourced, a person can come up with a pretty accurate picture of what this engine will perform like. No need for black and white, number for number specs, this is NOT a brand new engine. In fact the bore & stroke, compression ratio, head configuration, have not changed. What's left? A camshaft change, you can bet your as. er... I mean rear, if they made a significant camshaft change, they would have made a corresponding compression ratio change. Ever wonder why the YZ426F runs 12.5:1 compression, yet is still able to run pump gas?

I also don't understand why you have taken such offense to my original comments, I was only trying to share information. I was not in any way trying to take away any thunder from your new Yamaha. In fact, it should be a very, very strong engine. Even if it "only" produces 49hp, it's nothing to scoff at. However, I do fear that Yamaha has hosed up yet another chassis, from viewing the specs that THEY posted. If the chassis specs are wrong or they have added some "Voodoo" that allows them to overcome the laws of physics, I may be the proud owner of one later this year. I'm just trying to be realistic about this new machine.

The only thing you have to be "ashamed" of is your handling of this converstation thus far.

Old 06-12-2000, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey sparky, it ain't my yamaha, it won't be my yamaha, and you obviously haven't read anything elsi I have said about it. I believe they did "hose up a chassis". But you are apparantly so impressed with yourself and all of your research, that only your opinion counts. Go read all the raptor posts before you try to reprimand me.

Old 06-12-2000, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Gabe, don't waste your time with this kid...

I, too, am not initially impressed with the new chassis. It looks, unfortunately, like a warmed over Banshee frame. I would have thought that Yamaha would have learned something from the aftermarket in these last ten years. If this chasses isn't all they say, I'm sure that the aftermarket will have some remedies available for it within a year. (But we shouldn't have to go that route for $6500!!!)

Personally, I'm waiting to see what Kawasaki has to offer! I have $6000 saved up for a new quad... I can't wait to see what the manufacturers have to offer... if all else fails, perhaps Cannondale.

Quick Reply: Honda's Response to the Yamaha Raptor