Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is the Rincon Really that Under Powered?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 09:53 PM
2TV
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Rincon Really that Under Powered?

It’s not that the dealers want to do that. Honda probably knows about this more than anybody with all the trouble they had with the introduction of their ATC (3 wheeler) that started the ATV revolution and the associated lawsuits that ensued. Blame the government for this from trying to protect the fools (irresponsible riders or parents / guardians of riders) from hurting themselves or others. It’s the government and lawyers that have forced the manufacturers into imposing limiting restrictions on their equipment, all at the reaction to incidents caused by users of the equipment.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

2tv, that is exactly right. They don't want people getting hurt.

Don't worry, I will free up this availiable power. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

what im saying is i dont think there is this gobs of power to release. maybe 3-5 horse and maybe 2-3 ft lbs of torque. and im not just talking about the rincon i mean all of the big bore bikes. what do you think would unlock this power and what would be the result. ?im not trying to pick a fight just a normal chat .

Old 11-13-2003, 11:09 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Yep, they (the government) aren’t coming after the consumer yet as to what we have between our legs, but if the statistics go the wrong way long enough or some special interest group makes enough noise, watch out!

As for me, I’d like to have enough power to blip the throttle at any trail riding speed and stand the machine on end effortlessly, or break traction and slide whenever I wanted to. Let’s see, 200 HP ought to get the job done (yeah right, dream on!). Perhaps a machine with a 4 cylinder engine where 3 of them are dormant until you squeeze a lever, bang the throttle and WAM! (Letting go of either activator lever or throttle would of course deactivate the other 3 cylinders again, and it all has to weigh less than 650 lbs!). I am interested in more power as well but I want it at the lower end of the spectrum for the joy of trail riding (slow, technical or brisk). Top speed doesn’t really interest me but all out trail flexibility does. I wont do it at the expense of making more noise (i.e. a louder exhaust) though. Until then I’ll just make do with what I have, with the freedom of choice to make modifications or move on to something better as circumstances permit.

Old 11-13-2003, 11:21 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Trailride, 4 stroke motorcycle engine output I believe is around 1 HP per 10cc of engine displacement or better with the current technology. I’m not a tuner or much of a mechanic so I am not an expert in this area. But I figure if we could get the same performance with the engines in our ATVs, we’d have 65 HP Rincons and my V-Force would be ripping out 70 or more HP. The motorcycles do tune for more top end performance though so that may make a difference in the HP to engine size ratio. Until then sit back and gather info from what the knowledgeable folks are doing, then pick and choose what you’d like to apply after weighing the pros and cons for each modification.

Old 11-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

i see what you are saying but the yfz 450 is 433cc and 47 hp. now why do you think that is , well maybe its the compression cam valves crank. like i said that engine and hondas we designed for that specific application. now our utes 650cc=42 hp your v 47 hp. dont get me wrong im going to buy a v next year, but unless your going to do a major change(ie piston cam, port polish, mill head,new carb or carbs) you wont get much more than 3-10% more from an electronic advancement device ,pipe and filter. i wish i could.

Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

All I can tell you guys is my new Rincon carries me and my wife & stuff (over 400 lbs.) uphill with plenty of power and lots of comfort!

Old 11-14-2003, 12:08 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

In my opinion the YZF and the soon to be released Honda TRX-450R were built as special purpose (racing) machines focused on a smaller group of people, namely the professional or wanna-be racers. They are blessed with more performance features for that very reason, however they still wont exceed that top speed barrier that all manufacturers seem to adhere to (probably because of a very large gun pointed at their backs).

Whereas the utility quads are marketed towards the general population where you will find a wide range of ATV piloting skills (or lack thereof) and the ATV manufacturers don’t want to be responsible for Aunt Mabel or little Joey hopping on one and driving into a tree at 70 MPH. From what I’ve gathered there are special ignition devices in the works by performance shops that will probably do more to “wake up” an engine than any other traditional reasonably priced modification available today. I believe I’ve read that some (if not all) of these devices have CYA disabling switches so the machine can be “normalized” when needed. I would imagine these performance shops would concentrate on the machines that are class leaders such as the big bore and most popular models. Hopefully big brother doesn’t interfere or otherwise severely regulate them before they can market the finished product to us.

Old 11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

JUST LIKE OUR CDI FOR THE P650 V700 AND THE P700 . THEY (THE GOV) SHUT DOWN DG FROM LETTING US GET AHOLD OF ONE OF THOSE

Old 11-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

trailride, what the hell are you talking about? DG still sells the modules for the prairie.

Quick Reply: Is the Rincon Really that Under Powered?