Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda's New Front Differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2000, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When in two 2wd drive mode the front wheels are dead and just free wheel.That why a 2wd can power slide and the best handling 4wd will but you in a ditch if you tried it. The first post was from a Rancher owner just woundering why only one wheel was pulling on the front end.

Old 06-19-2000, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, so Atving has never ridden a Rancher. That is very obvious from the comments he has made regarding steering effort. The Rancher steers twice as easy as a 450, with out the sensation of the machine wanting to pull strait in a turn, like a 450. The sportsman that I've ridden had much more heavy steering than my Rancher, about in line with a 450, and thats with the sporty in 2wd. Atving, some of the things you come out with really make you look s****d. So please stick to things you know something about, what ever they might be.

This is the post that was made after I said I thought the foreman steered easier than the rancher till then I had just expressed my opinion and theorys why I thought the sportsman steered easier then you guys go and make post like go back to your own forum along with other insults. Seems I am not the one who needs to grow up and rancheres talking about spreading my intimate knowledge you are the one that always post in the Polaris forum with your stupid tidbits that support no fact the last time I checked I could post in any forum I wanted to if you don't want to read them then don't. Grow up guys it is just opinion why do you have to insult people because of there opinion nobody was insulting people from my posts till they started calling me a liar and saying thing like spreading your stupid wisdom. I may have even been wrong about the steering on the foreman and the rancher I rode a few more bikes that day...but maybe because I got them mixed up does that give you the guys the right to go insulting people. One of the guys even tried to say the sportsman didn't have true IRS but did I go saying he was a liar and didn't know what he was talking about...Grow up fellows take peoples opinion for what they are if you don't agree why resort to name calling because they are different opinions don't particularly mean they are wrong or trying to put a bike down...I really think you guys get upset that Polaris has a lot of features on it that Honda don't but what is the big deal I am not the one paying for the bike. I think Honda makes a great bike and I am really wanting to know how it fairs on the trail I just made my opinion along with Tim what we would like added to the Honda, is that such a big crime to resort to you guys name calling. For gods sake grow up.

Old 06-19-2000, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Rubione, be careful in your insults to ATVING, he is the foremost authority on ATVs. Just about makes you puke doesn't it? I guarantee he hasn't ever driven a rancher.

This conversation is getting old, someone asked earlier which vehicles offer full four wheel drive. I'll mention the official vehicle of the U.S. Ski Team . . . Subaru - and what about Jeep Cherokees - they can be equiped this way also.

Atving, can you honestly tell me that while your in 2wd on your sp500 you actually throw your weight around and drive the 700 pound beast like a sport bike? Give me a break, I know I have one also and there is nothing sporty about it. Face the facts both you and I bought one of the poorest excuses for a 4-wheeler - that would be the almighty Polaris. The difference between us is I recognize that there junk and your still disillusioned.

Old 06-19-2000, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

>>>>>If you were in a power slide, wouldn't the wheels be spinning, Yes

>and if the wheels were spinning wouldn't the 4X4 engage on a Polaris, Not if you were in 2wd

>and if the 4X4 engaged on the Polaris, wouldn't it suffer the same unpredictable fate?

No, both fron wheels would engage simultaneously and the results would be predictable

>I think it could be even worse with the rubber band machine...

No comment, it is apparent you have never driven one.

Old 06-19-2000, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Well rancheres believe it or not I throw that big beast around as easily or easier than the rest of the utilities I ride with except it tight twisty trails where they do the catching up what is your problem anyway if you can't handle the big Sportsman like me and Tim do why don't you sell it instead of boreing us with your stories on how you can't ride it. Its got plenty of torque you can ride it at fast speeds because the way the IRS soaks up the bumps it steers great with no pulling to the front end because you can put it in 2 wheel drive and about 80% of the guys on here will tell you that own sportsman that they have no problem rideing them like a sport bike and no they are no comparison to a sport bike maybe you are the only one that just don't know how to get the Sportsman to the limit heck Tim1 does and he don't even have EBS so why call us a liar nobody says you don't know how to ride but why say we don't. IF you like your Honda good but why put down on the Sportsman cause some of us know how to really get them going.

Old 06-19-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Once a bike hits 400lbs your not throwing it around so 700lbs is no difference. I was talking about power sliding which is easy even in a 2000lb Chevy as long as it's rear 2wd.

Old 06-19-2000, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Atving, I know how to ride the sp500, that isn't the issue. The difference between you and I is that I have had the oppotunity to compare it to many other machines and my no means is this thing nimble enough to throw around. I would not profess to be a muscle man, but at 6'-2" and 200 lbs, I have the power to handle the bike. Or maybe I should restate this, you can throw the bike around but it's far from fun. Yeah, Tim1 your right the difference between 400 & 700lbs is pretty much non existant (see how stupid I sound). You too should open your horizons and get on a lighter quad once.

Atving, I will continue my persistance on putting down the worlds worst quad, it's the truth and someday you too will realize it also.

Old 06-19-2000, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Blah Blah blah

Tim1 and Atving,

You guys are not going to win this arguement with the Honda Ladies. You know how girls are.

The truth of the matter is that the Rancher differential doesn't work as advertised. I even had this arguement with a guy out riding one day and we put his rancher ona muddy slope with one front wheel on a log so the other was free wheeling in the air. You could hold the tire in the air with one hand. We all know you can rev up about any 4X4 atv and cut the wheels back and forth on a rut and occasionally the wheel on the ground will spin. I believe even the 2000 big bear does this more effectively than the Rancher. I do believe the the sp500 steers a little heavier. Thats why I don't let my little girl drive it. It is a man's machine and there are other ATVs built for girls.

I do belive if you took a sp500 and a rancher or foreman to Wolfpen and ran hard all the way around trail one. The easy steering of the Rancher would in no way make up for the supperior power and suspension of the sp500. I have done it many times, and at the time I was on a Honda and a wolverine and it was very difficult to keep up with a sp335 with an experienced rider. We were all catching 6ft of air.

The sad thing is that the loyal Honda owners are buying the new Rancher beleiveing it will work as advertised. I wish it did. I wouldn't buy one, but at least I wouldn't have to pull so many of the out of the mud.

(Have a sense of Humor Please.)

Greg

Old 06-19-2000, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

Face it, Atving is the most knowledgable individual on atvs any one of us has ever had the pleasure of conversing with. He is also the best rider around today. You can't find a better rider, just ask him. I think we should listen to him, He knows it all. This crap is about as deep as the bull---- he continues to throw around on this forum.

Old 06-19-2000, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Looks at all the experts in this forum. My Front differential must be broken, my wheel doesn't spin when in the air! It does turn a little, but it doesn't spin. I would hope a SP500 would out perform a Rancher. It should its list price is $1700 more!

Its OK, You Polaris guys keep the tow rope ready to pull out the Hondas, & we will make sure our toolboxes filled up to fix your Polaris when it breaks down.

Lets all wait for the SP500 & Rubicon shoot out, you know its coming!

Quick Reply: Honda's New Front Differential