Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Needle clip adjustment on 400ex carb.....HELP

Old 06-26-2000, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a carb man but I tried to tear into it to raise the needle one notch and seemed to get lost in the process! Can someone with some experience in this procedure give me a detailed step by step? Thanks

Old 06-26-2000, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

once you have your fenders and gas tank off and the plastic under the tank off. on the very top of the carb theres a plate held on buy 3 screws take that off (you do not need to take the carb out). then look down into the carb and at the bottom of the slide you will see 2 screws take them out (you have to becareful on these 2 so you don't strip them, put alot of presure on them, there in there preaty good, a magnetic screw driver works the best). then pull up on the linkage you will have to work it around alittle to get it out of the way then your needle is at the bottom use a needle nose plyers to remove it.
take the clip out and move it down 1. then put it all back togethere. i guess i should of ask you this first but why are you wanting to raise the needle, what mods do you have done. you might not have to do it.

99 426ex,11:1,port job,rev box,web cam,k/n,dyno jet kit,6 air box vents,ids-2 super trapp pipe,
14 tooth front sprocket, = power

Old 06-26-2000, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hi,
i have a couple questions for you guys...
426ex - Just curious, but what size dynojet are you using with your mods?
and..
Extreme - I am planning on going to marianville atv trials next month. I went there when i had my xr100 way back. Did you do the whole ATV Loop on your 400ex? If so how many tanks of gas did you go through? How far away is sproul national forest from Pittsburgh? BTW, nice page and cool pics.
Any information would be appreciated, later

PS: I ordered a service manual for my 400ex through dennis Krik's catalogue.. you can get s cataloge from www.denniskirk.com for free. it tells you how to disassemble the whole carb.

Old 06-26-2000, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I believe those 2 screws on the top of the slide, that you say need a lot of pressure to keep them from stripping are what is known as Posidrive screws, it takes a special screwdriver that looks like a normal Phillips.

A regular Phillips will work, but a Posidrive screwdriver will work best and protect against stripping.

Old 06-26-2000, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

c400ex1234
i have the 160 in it!

Old 06-26-2000, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

c400ex,
The marienville trail only uses about an inch an a half of fuel...the timberline about a half tank. Come to Wayne with us...it blows marienville away (where to ride). Sproul is a healthy four hours from the Pittsburgh airport but worth every dime of gas to get there...especially if you're a hillclimber! We have a trip planned there for labor day weekend.

Old 06-26-2000, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

426ex,
Gotta have more fuel at the famous "400ex dead spot". Running a full race e-series system now and she reeeeeeealy screams. Running a honda 158 main to perfection but the low-mid needs a little more.

Old 06-26-2000, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Gabe...is that the style of screwdriver that you tap with a hammer? Also, is there any way to create dammage from too much downward pressure on those screws(to the needle or other)?

Old 06-26-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

after you raise the needle let us know if it works. i just don't think it will help, might just cause problems. i'm not an expert on carbs don't get me wrong. i think i talked to you or your buddy at the poker run in p.a., is yours the one with the pipe on that on the end it is cone shaped and curves down.

Old 06-26-2000, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, you're thinking of an impact screwdriver. A posidriv <sp?> is a different type of phillips, the taper of the four blades is a little different, this is why a regular screwdriver easily strips these screws. Replacements are also very hard to find.

You shouldn't be able to hurt anything by putting too much pressure on the screws, unless you are doing something out of the ordinary I believe, the slide should just be bottomed out in the carb. It shouldn't take much force, just be careful, they're small screws.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Needle clip adjustment on 400ex carb.....HELP