Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Any probs reversing frt rims on 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2000, 12:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have reversed the stock front rims for +2 on each side(cheap fix til I get a-arms).So far no problems and ride is much more stable.Have only jumped a feew feet with this setup so far.My question is to everyone who has tried this or even the wheel spacers is how have the spindle,knuckle ball joints and tie rods held up to increased side load offset tire put on components.especially if you have been jumping pretty good size jumps?

Old 07-19-2000, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have offset douglas .190 on front and have not had any problems with tierods,ball joints or spindles so far. Quad is a 99 with .190 all the way around with holeshots and 2 1/2" spacers on the rear.

Old 07-19-2000, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Ya rocky400ex but your front rims still cover over your ballj0ints, spindels, and ESP. brake rotors. Demp223, try not to catch anything inside your front tire or there goes the rotor.

Old 07-19-2000, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

question....dont the valve stems get in the way when you reverse the rims?

Old 07-19-2000, 11:07 PM
Range Rover

I replaced stems with flush mount style from American Racing,they only sit off rim appx 1/8 inch high.Rotor is still inside of rim but brake caliper is much more exposed.So I am more cautious around trees but I mainly run them flipped in the dunes,not so often in trails.What size front Douglas rims and what is the offset?1 inch?I have considered the offset rim idea as this would be good compromise between stock and +2 without having to dump big bucks in a-arms and put towards shocks instead.Thanks

Old 07-20-2000, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

The problems we have experienced with reversed front wheels on one of the EX's mixed with big air -

Many bent tie rods and one smashed upper control arm so far...

Old 07-21-2000, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Gabe.I have seen your pics-video of you jumping and I usually jump as big as well.So your input-experience is invaluable to me regarding the flipped rims.I will definitely not jump them flipped.Thanks.

Old 07-21-2000, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

well I don't know what ya'll mean by jumping. 20ft high? but I have mine turned around and I ride MX. prolly between 6 and 8 feet high. sometimes more. I cased a pretty big double once and never had any problems. since I have works shocks it probably helps it from being too hard on the spindles. I bent a tie rod twice. first cause I hit a tree and second time I nose dove into the landing of a double. where I ride almost everybody has there stock wheels turned around.anyways I like it.

Old 07-24-2000, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

Anywhere from 12-15 ft high and 60-80 long is average big jump.any bigger and the frame slams into ground so I keep it at that level until I get better suspenders.Was at Pismo this weekend and overshot my jump,expected to land on downside of hill and ended up way in the flat almost into upside of next hill(oops,a little to much throttle).Needless to say my head bounced off the bars and got a pretty good bloody nose from it as well as cracking my helmets chin guard.Oh well,you play ,you pay.Bikes fine though,you could see perfect impression where the frame bounced off the ground when it sacked out.Im pretty sure I would have broken something(me)if I hadn't put the rims back to normal ,as it was bottoming out from smaller jumps earlier with them flipped.

Old 07-24-2000, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, like demp233 was saying... My last trip to the dunes, I was hitting a "top of 3rd" dune that sloped away pretty good on the back side, a buddy stepped it off at about 90 feet (figure in a little fudge factor for the non preciseness of the measurement method).

During other times that day, I was hitting another dune in the top of 5th (closer to the middle of 5th after losing speed climbing the face), with probably just under a quarter mile run. We didn't measure the distance on that one, but what a rush, lots of distance, I would say well over the 100 foot mark. A crowd pleaser!

All on stock suspension. Ouch!.... I would not recommend reversed wheels under these conditions, unless you like replacing stuff.

Quick Reply: Any probs reversing frt rims on 400ex?