Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How many miles you have on your 450R???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles you have on your 450R???

Just seeing what kind of hours people have put on their new R's.....and if you've did a rebuild on the engine or not.....So I'm just trying to get some info on oil changes,,,if you've did a rebuild or not...how its running with the hours on it and how you like the machine overall..I'm really considering to buy a 450R..I ride mainly open fields...drags...and fast trails...so if you could send some info about the oil changes and rebuild I would and how you like the machine I would really appreciate it..

quadracer

Old 11-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, if you are looking for a low maintenance machine, this isn't it! Get something with a more conventional engine, if that is your concern. If I could only own one machine, it would be something like the Z400, NOT the 450R!

Don't have a large number of hours on mine, because the desert riding season is just starting, so I can't comment on rebuilds. The dealer says all the guys who work there who have the dirt bike, are well over 100 hrs., without any rebuilds. Only thing they have had problems with on the dirt bike is that they have had two suck valves. The kid down the street has the CRF250 (revs even higher than the CRF450!), and he is pushing 200 hrs. with no rebuilds.

This is an engine that needs frequent oil changes! Five hrs. will be my absolute max. without changing engine oil (10 hrs. for the transmission), and my average will probably be half that! Everything in this article that pertains to the CRF dirt bikes, also goes for the 450R (http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm).

Old 11-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply...the z400 is on the top of my list too...but if its not fast then its not for me..I've rode v-forces and I love the power of them but not the brakes, handling..stance and weight.

Old 11-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

I highly disagree with reconranger with it being a high maintenance machine. The only thing thats different from other machines is you gotta change the engine oil more frequently then others. The tranny doesnt need to be changed that often, just check it. I do change my tranny pretty frequent just for kicks, but everytime i do the oil looks brand new. But if you want to change both that frequently heck it takes 30 minutes to change both. The rest of the maintenence is the same as other 4wheelers; coolant, air filter, spark flug, chain, etc.

BTW.. I got about 75 hours on mine, never had a problem.. not one.

I love my 450r, couldnt see myself on anything else, its perfect for me.

Old 11-14-2004, 03:41 AM
Range Rover

i also change the oil regularly(especially when racing) but in the owners man is says that oil changes should occur every 600miles or 100 hours after initial break in. this is the same on a 300ex! im goin to glamis leaving monday....fresh oil...dont think im gonna change it.

would honda put this in the manual if it risked anything on a waranteed machine??

btw...i would have to change my oil everyday in the dunes if i did it every five hours!

Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

hey i had about 400-500 hours on my first piston only reason i changed it was because the crank bearing went and when honda put it back togeather they put the piston in too, now i got like 20 hours on this one. i change my only about every 10 hours both sides

Old 11-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

why would a R needs to have a rebuild after 100-200 hours??
i drive my ds for 4 years and have MUCH MUCH MORE then poor 200 hours on it and the engine works perfectly !!! not even shows the smalles sign that it needs a rebuild .... the 4 stroke engines are preety reliable!

change engine oil and your 4 stroke motor will be as good as new!

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

thanks everyone... changing oil and tranny doesn't bother me at all..in my scrammy I change the oil every 3 or 4 rides...(about 15 hours)...I was just wanting your opinions and thanks for all the good opinions...I beleive I'm putting the 450R on my own personal christmas list this year! thanks guys!

Old 11-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess we aren't all keeping up on our engine design technology, huh! The 450R and the CRF dirt bikes, are a whole different generation of engines than are found in any of the more conventional machines that are out there! These are VERY high revving so they are hard on their oil, and at those rpm's, things are just going to wear out quicker. The CRF250 for instance will do 14,000rpm! That means that little pancake piston has to go up and down 200 TIMES PER SECOND! These bikes are poor choices for the average Joe recreational rider, who needs a low tech/low maintenance machine.

"Separate oil: The benefit of separating the oil, like Honda does, is that the top-end is not contaminated by clutch debris or broken teeth. Additionally, the heat of the combustion side does not thin out the transmission and clutch oil. The CRF can use an MA-series oil in the transmission and slippery MB-series oil in the top-end.

The downside is that the oil quantity in each chamber is reduced (to approximately 650cc), increasing the need for more frequent oil changes. Any oil loss, no matter how small, becomes critical when you have a small pool to draw from."
http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

"You have one of these new 4-stroke MX bikes. These MX bikes hold only about one quart of oil, all of them have marginal cooling systems, and if there's a more severe use of an engine than MX, I don't want to be physically present when it happens." http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html#Oil

Old 11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

We have an excellent response thanks too reconranger. Bottom line, these new 450's are designed for more frequent rebuilds than a conventional atv. This comes with the territory.

Quick Reply: How many miles you have on your 450R???