ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Surface Rust from winter riding (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/186113-surface-rust-winter-riding.html)

honda400rider 01-05-2005 06:01 PM

Surface Rust from winter riding

So i've got lots of orange rust all over my bike, axle, a-arms, pegs, discs, chain, sprockets, etc. Should I worry alot about this rust? or is it easily removable (steel wool, etc.)? I'm kinda worried that its gonna eat through everything. What should I do?

Semms40oz 01-05-2005 06:14 PM

remove it with some steel wool and then toch up any bare metal.... it will take years to become a serious problem but it doens't take long to sieze up the axle lcok nuts.

honda400rider 01-05-2005 06:37 PM

alrighty..thanks

BryceGTX 01-05-2005 10:41 PM

Hello honda400rider. I cover my quad with WD40 to keep the rust off of all parts.
I hope this helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

440EX026 01-05-2005 11:10 PM

When you say all over do you mean around the welds or really all over?

Its very common for that to happen near many of the welds and the easiest thing to do is just remove the rust with a wire brush, sand paper, steel wool, rotary tool or whatever works for you and then cover it up real good with either a rust converter or some sort of rust stop primer, and then cover it with the paint and color of your choice.

Another thing to think about is that if rust is starting to show up around the frame and suspension its probly happening in other places you cant see like under those lock nuts (good thought semms) and especially between the swing arm bolt, spacers, and bearings. That one is the worst because it will drive you absolutely nuts if you let it go and they all freeze up together making it impossible to remove.

I just did a complete tear down and changed every bearing I could think of before changing the frame color to candy red, and the swinger bolt was the absolute worst pain in the butt.

I lost count of all the sawzall blades I wasted getting that frozen bolt out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

honda400rider 01-05-2005 11:20 PM

Ya the orange rust is everywhere..covers the entire axle..i just wanted to know if it was bad rust..or just water on metal.

440EX026 01-06-2005 11:31 AM

The axle is a little different since it is bare steel and has no protection from rusting.

It cleans up real well and easy though so just remove the rust then shine it up and coat it with some lube etc and your good to go.

motox26 01-06-2005 11:50 AM

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Hello honda400rider. I cover my quad with WD40 to keep the rust off of all parts.
I hope this helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX
This is the way to go, give it a oil bath and let it soak on the rusted parts. After a day or 2 late go back and clean it off and usually the rust is gone. Might take some rubbing.

To prevent it from rusting quick period, spray it down before you ride in the snow.

440EX026 01-07-2005 01:11 AM

If you guys are wanting to use a lube to protect the quad from rusting and also to allow stuff to not stick as easily etc try and use someting other than wd40 because its not the best protectant, and also is flamable. Wouldnt want to have to watch your quad burn trying to make it shine.

That stuff is full of all kinds of crap and I think the main part is kerosene or at least something similar so be carefull.

I didnt ever think of that till I watched someone spray some in a fire once and pretty much stopped using it completely.

BigBadScrambler 01-07-2005 01:21 AM

Use some Triflow. It has teflon in it and works awsome.