Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Steering........

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Steering........

Throw away the WD40, its no good now days. Your part store should be carrying a product called PB Blaster. Its a great product and if it doesnt loosen it up, nothing will. I use it in my auto repair business religiously. Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WD-40 still works great on house door hinges ... LOL

Here is some history on it ....

WD-40:
The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans.

The rest, as they say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets its distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. Here are some of the uses:

*Protects silver from tarnishing
*Cleans and lubricates guitar string
*Gets oil spots off concrete driveways
*Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery
*Keeps flies off cows
*Restores and cleans chalkboards
*Removes lipstick stains
*Loosens stubborn zippers
*Untangles jewelry chains
*Removes stains from stainless steel sinks *Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill
*Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing
*Removes tomato stains from clothing
*Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots
*Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors
*Keeps scissors working smoothly
*Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
*Gives children’s play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide
*Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers
*Rids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises
*Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open
*Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close
*Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers
*Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles
*Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
*Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy handling
*Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly
*Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools
*Removes splattered grease on stove
*Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging
*Lubricates prosthetic limbs
*Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell)
*Removes all traces of duct tape
*I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
*Florida's favorite use was "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers The favorite use in the state of New York-WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
*WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
*Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately, and stops the itch.
*WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
*Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
*If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.
*WD-40, long known for its ability to remove leftover tape mung (sticky label tape), is also a lovely perfume and air freshener! Sprayed liberally on every hinge in the house, it leaves that distinctive clean fresh scent for up to two days!
*Seriously though, it removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor!
*Use WD-40 for that nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off.
*Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
*Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!

----- Gimpster -----

Old 03-17-2005, 08:21 AM
JSP
Trailblazer

Well, I think I'll keep my WD40, then. Sounds like it is a miracle cure. Maybe not much good for loosening bushings, but good for everything else! I'll get some PB Blaster for that job. Thanks, Gimpster - you are a veritable fount of knowledge!

Old 03-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

i didnt know wd-40 did al that. thanks for the info

Old 03-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah America sure does have an attachment to WD-40, I have a can of it on hand in the shop all the time, I also have the PB Blaster, it works great but does not smell as good as WD-40 it can give you a head ache quickly.
I am going to have to try WD-40 on my dash, it is getting realy faded mabey that will help.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, same here, a can of WD-40, PB Blaster in the shop and also a can of 100 % silicone lube spray for the places I don't want to get dirt or dust gathered after it is lubed.

I would bet his upper bushing on the steering post is scored from debris, causing the steering to bind.

----- Gimpster -----

Old 03-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

One of the magazines had a note on this in the last issue: When the bike sits for a long time, the clutch plates in the diff stick together and make the steering stiff. Solution, add 1 oz. of GM limited slip diff fluid to your diff and it will loosen them up. Continue to do that at each change of the diff oil.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I would have suggested that, but the Ruby front diffy doesn't have the clutch disc style slip assembly in it

----- Gimpster -----

Old 03-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Gimpster-So that fix only applies to the older Hondas???

Old 03-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, click on Ronnies Fiche and look up a Rubicon front diffy, then check out a '90's TRX300FW front diffy. They are different
I have used the GM additive to cure sticky discs on the 300's many times and it works good. But I haven't had any problems with this type of diffy that is in the Rubicon.

My favorite diffy is the visco-lock, I kinda wish Honda used them.

----- Gimp -----

Quick Reply: Rubicon Steering........