Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

tire mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire mounting

Hey $20 is $20. I just got my new mud lites for the KQ, My son and I put 3 of the 4 on last night. Dinner time called. took about 30 minutes to do the 3. To break the bead I run over the tire with the truck. On a tough tire I'll have to rotate the tire a couple times before it'll pop. Then flip it over and do the other side. I use some soapy water to lube the tire to aid in removal and installation. Couple tire irons to peal it off. The backs were just as easy as the fronts to install. Again some soapy water. It you're putting them on yourself the key to install is keep the tire beads in the middle of the rim. If they walk up on the rims bead then then your trying to stretch the tire over the rim, that won't work. Keep them in the middle and they'll peel on with no problem. A little more soapy water to aid in an air seal and help the bead to pop into place when you fill it with air. On the rear tire we couldn't get the beads to hold air. Simple trick is to take a rachet type tie down, place around the tire and cinch it up. This will force the tire into the rim and it'll hold air for the fill up.

Yeah $20 isn't that much but add in the time to load them up, wait your turn (or drop off then pick up later...2 trips). Oh the car jack works good to help save the rims from scratches. Otherwise a piece of plywood and carpet will protect them if you use the run over method.

Maybe I'll shoot some pics this evening when we do the last one.

Good Luck,
Rob

Old 03-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default tire mounting

Thanks for the info, pics would be great. Maybe i'll try it myself.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default tire mounting

here you go...just did this one a short while ago.

This pic shows just running over the tire to pop the bead on one side..

second pic shows doing the other side...

last pic shows the tire tool I use. actually you need 2 but I just use a big screwdriver. there is no tube to pinch on these. Just a little soapy water to pry it off then on. Critical to make sure the tire beads are in the center of the rim when your putting on the last bead.

Actually you could use a couple screw drivers on a tire like these.

good luck...
Rob

Old 03-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default tire mounting

robnhouston-

That is pretty slick. I have used a board to drive up on and break a bead, but never thought to drive directly on to the tire.

Ill try that some time.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default tire mounting

A board would probably work better if you don't have a truck. My current Ford has 315's (35") tires so the rim stays away from the truck rim. I also noticed this time that once I get on the tire, to turn my truck wheel into the ATV wheel and sort of walk it around the ATV rim, doing this popped the bead in one try. the rears had a bit more rust under the bead than the fronts.

After this it took 5 minutes to to remove the old tire and pop on the new one and air it up. Hopefully I'm good to go for another 6 years. Those Dunlops looked a lot worse when I got them off.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default tire mounting

Can someone tell me what a factory 2003 honda 400EX has for Rear wheel SIZE ?? 9" or 10" ???
Thanks...

Old 03-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default tire mounting

diameter is 9, width is 10