Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Off-Roader Dont Care and Wont UNITE! WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 01:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TO: The California off-road community.

FROM: Roy Denner, Recreation Representative on the BLM California Desert District Advisory Council

SUBJECT: OFF-ROADER APATHY! (DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME READING THIS)

As you may know, the Desert District Advisory Council (DAC) is composed of 15 people from various interest groups who advise the BLM on management of the California Desert District. The California Desert District covers portions of 8 counties and includes over 10 million acres of public land.

As the recreation representative on the DAC, I have attended the Council meetings and have reported events having significant impact to the off-road community.

Probably the most significant activity having impact on OHV recreation ever to happen is the current effort by the BLM to develop a National Off-Highway Vehicle Management Strategy. I reported on this after the last DAC meeting and provided methods and contacts for comment. I just learned that the comments are running 5 to 1 against motorized activities. I can only conclude that the environmental organizations really care and the off-road community doesn't give a damn!

On October 21 & 22 in Barstow, the DAC will be holding its next meeting. Items on the agenda include:

1. Update on the National OHV Management Strategy.
2. Recreation Fee District Policy - A plan to charge fees at all recreation areas.
3. A briefing on the lawsuit by the Center for Biological Diversity - an attempt to close down the Imperial Sand Dunes.
4. Development of a California Desert District Non-Profit Association to assist in development of an action plan.

I am only one of 15 people sitting on the DAC. More importantly, I AM THE ONLY RECREATION REPRESENTATIVE who speaks for off-road recreation (vehicle and non-vehicle). If the sad response to the request for input on the new OHV Management Strategy is to be my guidline, I AM WASTING MY TIME!!

OFF-ROAD RECREATIONISTS DON'T CARE!! And while I'm doing my job, I'm destroying my credibility with the BLM.

So, here's my ultimatum (don't laugh too hard if you're still with me)! Unless I see an overwhelming turnout of off-road recreationist in Barstow on the 20th & 21st of October to provide support for our form of recreation, I will assume that I am not representing the off-road community in a proper manner and will resign from the DAC. I am not the kind of person who can sit quietly on this council while opportunities for off-road recreation are continually being eroded from all directions. I spend too much time and lose too much sleep over this situation to be representing the off-road community in the wrong way. I'm sure a more complacent, non-emotional, representative can be found. There are obviously lots of you out there. My family will be delighted to have me back.

Incidentally, I am the DAC representative on the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area Technical Review Team - an organization that advises the BLM
on how user fees should be expended. Since I would no longer be a DAC representative, I would obviously not be the representative from the DAC on the ISDRA TRT.

If you're through laughing at my ultimatum, and are not too busy with other more important issues to give up a day in your life to help keep public lands open for use by the public, you might consider making the relatively short drive to Barstow on Saturday, October 21st. That is the actual DAC meeting day. The public is also welcome on the Field Tour which will take place on Friday, October 20. Information follows:

MEETING PLACE: City Council Chambers at City Hall 220 East Mountain View
Barstow, California
Saturday, Oct. 21, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

go west on Main St. and rt. on East Mountain View

HOTEL WHERE DAC MEMBERS ARE STAYING:

Holiday Inn
1511 East Main St.
Barstow, CA
(760) 256-5673

For more information, or copies of the agenda, call Doran Sanchez at the BLM CA Desert District Office: (909) 697-5220.

If it doesn't cause too much of an impact on your time, please consider forwarding this message to other off-roaders who probably won't care either.

Old 09-27-2000, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

Michael: A.K.A. ATVdunePro,

I hope you gain more support from fellow riders. It's unfortunate that the only time people feel compelled to fight is when they are threatened personally.

In this matter, that is too late. Once the ball starts rolling, it will be very hard to stop. I hope more people will realize the significance of such meetings. We have to be proactive towards the things that will take away our sport.

We have a very hard battle to fight. The ATVers, 4X4ers, mountain bikers, equestrians, and other outdoor sports people have to unite for a common cause. One little voice in a crowd can't be heard, but if the crowd unites, the voice will make a statement.

That's partially why I joined the BRC. I realize I alone will have little to no affect in the fight to stop the degradation of our sport and vanishing riding areas. Additionally, I think I partially fit the bill of "I'm not fighting until it affects me personally" profile. I took a small step by joining the BRC. I hope the small contribution I made and my membership can add to a larger entity with a bigger voice.

Good luck with your fight. I hope your post can persuade at least one person to give up a Saturday for a good cause.

Old 09-27-2000, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

One word "apathy". People just don't care unless it affect them directly. The snowmobilers have a similiar problem.

Old 09-27-2000, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best wishes on generating some interest and support, Roy! Apathy among ATVers is not unique to California.

February a year ago, I attended a "Public Workshop" on "Roadless Areas" in the Thomas Jefferson National Forest (600 miles round trip), sponsored by the Forest Service. Of 80 attendees, I was the only ORV partisan present.

The "Greens" were not so apathetic, accounting for the majority of attendees (consistent with the 5-to-one anti-ATV response to your BLM Recreation Plan).

I salute you on your work representing the interests of ATVers with the BLM. Certainly, you can do nothing alone. I hope you receive the support you need and deserve from the sand-riding community.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-27-2000, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

What's the point of wasting our money and time. In a few weeks Gore will be in office and we'll lose the battle regardless. And for all you people thinking Bush has any chance you better take a look at the polls. We're gonna lose this sport no matter what. They've got the money, we've got the SHAFT!!!

Old 09-28-2000, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

400exrydr, If your of voting age and don't vote then you're one of the apathetic. You'll have to change your name to ex400rydr if you don't vote and Algore wins. Never say die as long as there is a chance for change.

Old 09-28-2000, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Minehunter:
Good one!

Trending Topics

Old 09-28-2000, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto... Vote people. It's our only hope.

Old 09-29-2000, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

You know what they say in Chicago. "VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN"